Batman Forever (1995)

Discussion in 'NC Episodes' started by ThatManWithTheHeadband12, Jan 4, 2018.

1. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

ThatManWithTheHeadband12 More Trophy Points Please

We have Brian in the title card with him! Awesome!

2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike More Trophy Points Please

3. Ralph Wiggum

Ralph Wiggum Active Member

Wow,I get to be the one to link the video!

http://channelawesome.com/batman-forever-nostalgia-critic/

(EDIT: ...Scratch that)

I personally think this movie is unironically good. Not the best Batman movie ever but i actually think it's objectively better than Returns. As for the review, aside from pushing the Dick joke too much, it was pretty good.

4. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

This movie was pretty interesting for me to watch in theaters because it's the last movie I saw before becoming aware of sequel stigma.

5. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

The Macher was not a route I was expecting (though I think The Mediocre or The Middler would still be good. Glad for the Rifftrax plug, and it's interesting BlackTux is back to sponsor

(I'm currently 8:11 in)

6. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat More Trophy Points Please

I'd like to point out this section with an interview with Glen Weldon, author of Batman: The Caped Crusade given the amount of jokes about Schumacher being gay and the bat-nipples.

https://www.cbr.com/interview-glen-weldon-batman-the-caped-crusade/

7. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

I Love Lisa, the episode of The Simpsons whose footage was used at about the 10 minute mark of the review, turned 25 this past Sunday

8. YouAskedForIt

I believe my status quote is from that episode as well.

edit: well the first one I did at least :\

9. Shockwave_the_Dragon

Shockwave_the_Dragon Well-Known Member

THE RED LOBSTER! I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND KICK YOUR ASS!

10. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Well-Known Member

On the note of Batman and fast food, there was a bit from the first Batman/Spider-Man crossover where Bats is offered finger sandwiches only for Alfred to remember how he use to just dump them in the toilet when he was young, so he has this to say: "Try the happy meal sir. I hear it's simply exquisite.".

Movie-Brat likes this.
  11. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike More Trophy Points Please

I admit since I was born in 1986, I didn't grow up with the original Tim Burton Batman movie or it's sequel Batman Returns and only knew about them years upon years later since yeah would either of not been allowed to really go to movies in 1989 and even in 1992 all I was allowed to see was disney movies. Thus besides the animated series, my introduction to Batman was from Batman Forever, which is a movie I remember actually going to see with my family all the way back in 1995. I admit when I was a kid I liked Batman and Robin better since I was a bit older at... eleven when I saw it I understood it more and it had more kinds of characters and things that appealed to me then Returns did, even though Jim Carrey was one of the first few actors I remember ever really learning about. And honestly I've probably seen more bits of Batman and Robin and remember a lot more of it then Forever which sans for some of Carrey's antics and the whole playing you sunk my battleship I don't really remember a lot of Batman Forever now and honestly probably wouldn't see it hold up over time. But it is still an interesting movie to talk about. Since though Batman and Robin was more of a bomb and did totally derail the Batman movie franchise, Forever being a hit did show there was some elements of camp that people did flock to or at least were fine seeing portrayed with the character and honestly this being the first movie of this era to really start portraying the Bat family was interesting. And honestly this sort of does feel like a movie that the Critic should of covered by now since even if it isn't as bad as Batman and Robin it's still not something I know Doug is too fond of and obviously did have a lot to say if he had a riff about it and am glad they brought in Brian and used it as a connection there for this crossover.

Honestly I think due to the fact that Brian actually works with Doug and Rob more then most of the other producers there is a better mixing of they're style as they know each other more and I appreciate the reference to the oddity of Geek's name and the old rifftrax and even Geek pointing out liking Demo Reel obviously for Heinz's character. And honestly this is one of those movies that obviously the group has watched a few times so can comment on more oddball moments of it like people acting odd in the background or how none of the extras talk properly which feel like the kind of jokes you'd only make having seen the movie more then once. I also agree they did pound too much on the Dick jokes (which just like the Willie references in Temple Of Doom weren't really funny the first time and kept happening though at least here there's a meta joke about it being off) and there were some good zingers throughout like imitating "teenage" Robin or pointing out how terrible Meredith Chase is as a doctor and how she's creepier then the doctor or actually mocking the whole running gag bit by having Geek and Critic try starting one up at the same time or pointing how the dialogue from BTAS sounds more natural then Batman Forever and how the Riddler in some form already exists before Ngiyma and bits like that. No way is this going to be as classic or well remembered as the Batman and Robin review but it's a decent crossover with good mocking of this movie even though feels obvious the whole "connecting these sketches to the review" are getting flimiser and flimser and being meta about that will only work so many times.

12. YouAskedForIt

Chase Meridian

Oddly enough, Meredith Chase's twitter has a retweet of Lindsay Ellis from 2.5 years ago right up front.

13. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

14. bole

bole Well-Known Member

Hmm, I wonder if he deliberately wait till this week to use a clip from a valentine's day Simpsons episode.

15. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf More Trophy Points Please

The Lego Batman Movie reference makes me wonder if the Warner Animation Group, or at least the people who make the Lego movies, should consider Billy Dee Williams their own "good luck charm", especially considering how badly the movies they made without him did.

16. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

He barely got any lines in either!

17. Fancyarcher

Fancyarcher More Trophy Points Please

This was a fun episode. I was wondering when NC would do a crossover with The Last Angry Geek, and it did not disappoint. Really enjoyed the Schumacher slow-mo joke.

As for the Batman Forever itself, I think it's a weird film in some ways. Apparently the original cut was much darker, and then it was edited down to be kid friendly / jokey. I actually don't hate the film, but in some ways even compared to Batman & Robin, I kinda think of it is as a "whatever film".

18. jfsredhead

jfsredhead Member

Critic did a crossover with last angry geek before on his show covering dark knight returns dvd

19. Fancyarcher

Fancyarcher More Trophy Points Please

Oh yeah I forget about that. That was a Last Angry Geek episode though, so this is the first crossover on the NC's turf, if you wanna be technical.

20. YouAskedForIt

I did not even wonder. Not for one second, sir. Not me.

21. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

They also did the animated Dark Knight Returns together in 2013
    EDIT: Whoops beaten to it

22. YouAskedForIt

I was gonna say that was a considerably long time ago. I was gonna do that mainly to contrast the past convention of reciprocated crossovers, but that query didn't have much to do with that.

Still though now that you bring it up, 2013 was a considerably long time ago!

23. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

Yeah, 5 years and 10 days since NC's return review, like, it's crazy to think Malcolm has been with Channel Awesome for almost 5 and a half years, and Tamara's just started her fifth year(-ish, depending on whether you start at the filming of the Christmas Tree and Face/Off reviews, or the release of the The Wicker Man review, it's the difference of an extra month).

And remember that Brian also had cameos during the The Happening and Ghostbusters Answer the Call reviews

24. YouAskedForIt

Well I'm not the most familiar with LAG, though I liked him here as a co-reviewer.

I think that Batman Forever was a good vehicle for a project, but that it's also a shame that it has to be addressed as an outlandish choice due to the fact that it's not as bad as Batman & Robin.

25. Dsneybuf

Same happens to John Ratzenberger in a lot of Pixar movies (I think he only had one word in Coco).
    Actually, now that I think about it, Will Arnett seems like a likelier equivalent for WAG.:Facepalm

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  26. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

Ratzenberger started with Hamm and PT Flea. Roles way bigger than Lando and Two Face in the respective Lego Movies

27. zfunk

zfunk Well-Known Member

Well yes Jim Carrey has done a lot of crap, but let's not forget his greatest role.

28. Dsneybuf

@ThatManWithTheHeadband12 I hope you could tell that I directed the facepalm at myself, because I had already started regretting saying what I did about Billy Dee Williams.

29. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

I didn't even see the edit until just now

30. ThatManWithTheHeadband12