Fitness Accountability Thread

Discussion in 'Everyday Life' started by Minuto, Aug 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

Ha. My lower body day consisted mostly of doing really heavy rack-pulls on a machine and adding various other core/leg isolations into the mix, including planks, hyper-extensions, leg curls, leg extensions, hip-abduction, hip-adduction, oblique twists, and weighted side-bends. Pretty high weight on a lot of them, more than the average bear... So I mixed it up and put 3 sets of squats at the beginning of my workout. Just body-weight, nothing heavy. All I did after were the rack-pulls and my legs are dying today.

2. The Magical Screee

The Magical Screee Active Member

For nutrition, I eat pretty much the same stuff every day of the week.
    Breakfast: Banana, hard-boiled egg (plus protein bar but only pre-workout)
    Lunch: Chicken salad, small bowl of fruit, greek yogurt
    Snack: Trail mix
    Dinner: Slim-fast meal replacement shake, unless it's workout day, then it's something a little more filling, but nothing too over the top.

For my workout plan, I go to the gym three days a week for an hour each and do pretty much everything there (have a trainer so he makes my plan for the day). I additionally do about 1-2 extra days of cardio, 30 minutes each.

3. YouAskedForIt

This is pretty much a uniform plan, not to mention that you have a trainer. A trainer should be well equipped to tell you what's wrong with your diet, but really it doesn't seem that there's much wrong with your diet. It's pretty healthy considering its balance of protein, fat, and carbs. But maybe you don't respond well to either fat or carbs. It might be the case that your body can utilize carbs efficiently, while it might also be the opposite. Doesn't sound like you have that many carbs in your diet though, so I mean just consider that.

When you talk about not making progress, over what kind of time frame are we talking about? Also, what do you do in the day when you're not at the gym?

4. The Magical Screee

The Magical Screee Active Member

I've been trying to seriously lose weight since last year (that's when I dropped the junk food and changed my diet). I actually saw a good amount of change once I got rid of Starbucks (maybe -10 lbs), but I've been in the same weight range since that first couple of months. I've been with my trainer for about three months or so, so I was hoping that would help out, too, but I haven't seen a whole lot of change (except maybe some new muscles in my arms).

When I'm not at the gym, I'm at work for 9 hours - sitting at a desk (although I try to take a 15-minute break to walk around). When I'm at home, I'm pretty much sitting, too.

5. YouAskedForIt

Then needless to say, your work in the gym is gonna be crucial to your fitness management. Not sure what your trainer has you doing, and I'm not really trying to interfere. The most effective outcomes in the gym depend on factors such as how much overall work you do and the manner in which your muscles break down due to intensity. Of course if you focus primarily on cardio exercises and what not, it might not have a lot to do with muscle breakdown that often, but your workload is rather high over the duration of a cardio session.

Anyways, as far as your diet, I would up the protein and put it more at the start of the day. As much protein as you can leisurely consume while also trying to avoid any saturated types of fats (as well as a bunch of fat overall). With carbohydrates, I've personally found that they are most beneficial at the end of the day and/or after you've completed your workout. While it's known to be outlined scientifically by somewhat commercial interests, there are people that have adhered to the rhetoric. It's known as Carb Backloading if you wanna take a look. It's beneficial to eat comfortably, but maximizing a more paleo type of diet will be more effective for building muscle and not putting on fat, even at the expense of more health-promoted foods more rich in micro-nutrients. Carbs are obviously essential for blood sugar energy, but there are caveats to it. In my experience, carbs can give an endorphin rush, which can be mentally healthy and productive, while fats will help more with satiety. I've never found fiber to stop me from being hungry, though I do try to get as much of it as I can. The priority of fiber in my opinion is fruits-veggies > nuts > legumes > grains. That's probably because of the carb concentration in each, but to each his own.

6. Anchang-Style

Anchang-Style Well-Known Member

So for maybe 4 days back hard into keto eating and iam under 140 kg for the first time in a year (eventhough it's almost a week since my last training due to the mess that was G20).

7. CarterTheMartyr

CarterTheMartyr More Trophy Points Please

I was on a roll consistently lifting, but now the momentum has slowed to a sloth's pace. Depressing.

8. Clare C.G

Clare C.G More Trophy Points Please

Got one more week of my regular routine before the summer holidays start. Hoping I might be able to do a 30 minute run or something on a Sunday during the six weeks just so I'm doing something.

YouAskedForIt likes this.
  9. YouAskedForIt

Like, you stopped doing it as much?

10. CarterTheMartyr

CarterTheMartyr More Trophy Points Please

Precisely

11. YouAskedForIt

Might be a good idea to get a good split routine going.

12. Anchang-Style

Anchang-Style Well-Known Member

So it's summer break in my MMA gym BUT the BJJ trainer soldiers on doing his classes regardless. Today it was 90 Minutes of, pure sparring. Just 2x3 Minute sets with 3 minute breaks. Oh my god iam so dead BUT it was insanely effective. Trainer corrected every move and in the end i got out of situations i would have usually tapped. But man my body feels like i had an accident.

13. Clare C.G

My attempt to do half hour of running on the Wii Fit at least once a week during the summer holidays hasn't really worked. Thought I could do some during this week when it's calm but it's now Wednesday and I've done nothing. Really want to do something. Might just do a bit on Just Dance on the weekends so I'm doing something active that isn't work.

14. Clare C.G

Well tomorrow I'm slowly getting back into my Wii Fit routine after I completely failed to do any during the summer holidays. And by slowly, I'm just gonna check the batteries haven't run down in six weeks by doing a Body Test and hopefully see if having heavy things sitting on top of the balance board for too long does effect how it registers my weight. I've weighed myself on a digital scales and it said I was 9st 10 pounds so tomorrow I'll check if the Wii Fit also says I'm that weight.

YouAskedForIt likes this.
  15. Clare C.G

Had to change the batteries in my Wii remote and balance board before I could do anything today, but it seems heavy stuff on the balance board hasn't affected how it registers my weight. Said I was 9st 8 pounds. Not too much of a difference to say it's been affected. Which means I should take a bit more notice of it if I wanna lose a few pounds.

16. Clare C.G

Back into the routine. Although I may need to rethink the routine due to some early morning commitments that means I won't have time in the mornings. Not an every day or week thing though so maybe I'll just have to make up what I miss on the Friday on a Sunday. Other days I miss for appointments I can add on to other days.

17. YouAskedForIt

I myself am finding myself tired on some days, but I really can afford to take days off. At the moment it seems that I have started to become comfortable doing about 20 minutes of steady elliptical cardio in after my weights routine, which has been somewhat simplified. Going into work earlier in the morning while still going to bed at the same time is another sign that more rest time shall be utilized.