Kangaroo Jack (2003)

Discussion in 'NC Episodes' started by ThatManWithTheHeadband12, Aug 29, 2017.

1. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

ThatManWithTheHeadband12 More Trophy Points Please

Take it away Rob!

2. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

3. Shockwave_the_Dragon

Shockwave_the_Dragon Active Member

Oh....dear....god.....this must be training for DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION!!!! AAASAAAAHHHHHHHH

4. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

5. TheBuggeredOne

TheBuggeredOne More Trophy Points Please

Confirmed as today's review

6. Ralph Wiggum

Ralph Wiggum Active Member

7. Pallet

Pallet More Trophy Points Please

8. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

In the CA Facebook group, I did jokingly start writing Samurai Jack in a comment. I had no idea it'd actually be part of the review. Glad he acknowledged G'Day USA, aaaaand we just need Jerry as Quinn Mallory back on Sliders in general. Sliders needs a revival.

9. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

Idea: Instead of being corrected, Aku sends Critic back to the past. To June-July 2003. The Birth of Evil doesn't air until August of that year. Either Critic's Samurai Jack DVD is replaced by the then newly-released Kangaroo Jack DVD, or because the series is incomplete, he holds off on reviewing it in favor of "this other thing": a Kangaroo Jack DVD

10. zfunk

zfunk Well-Known Member

Really The Green Mile is what he confuses Green Lantern with not Gurren Lagann, giving he started with the Samurai Jack, it would been perfect to do the same with Gurren Lagann.

11. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike More Trophy Points Please

Heh well NC actually does know what Gurren Lagann was... or at least the Bum does anyway.

I think the stuff with Tamara and Malcolm as writers felt a little forced as honestly just them at the beginning and end having to tell Critic he's reviewing Kangaroo Jack not Samurai Jack (I also was thinking of an SJ mention but didn't think Doug would actually do it so props to it) and then Green Mile at the end. Plus a couple too many "makes reference to something being awful and forced to relate to the movie" but honestly everything else was great. I loved him pointing out this movie actually came from someone seeing the ads for Snow Dogs and wanting to take this darker mob related story to be about some Kangaroo and the Christopher Walken references and the break down talking about Inside Out and pointing out G'Day USA (yeah I saw clips of that since CN ran that a few times back in the day and there is something awfully memorizing about that Mamma going to knock you out bit from that film) or that the scene from the trailer is right next to the scene of the guy grabbing the woman's breast (I'm not memorizing names of these people who were in Kangaroo Jack) or Jack's obvious added bits or thinking some of the actors weren't even told the name of the movie they were acting in. Just a lot of good stuff here and yeah a couple of eh jokes but otherwise really solid stuff. And again though I did like GL looking forward to see how Doug will tear into it.

12. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

Really, ever since Wonder Woman with the exception of The Sorcerer's Apprentice (and Eragon being a semi-distant second), Malcolm and Tamara haven't really been utilized very much

13. Cheerilee1980

Cheerilee1980 Well-Known Member

This is just as wished for.

14. darkrage6

darkrage6 Member

Haha my wish came true! This is definitely fascinating both as a film and with what happened behind the scenes. As a kid I got fooled by the trailers for both this film and Snow Dogs due to being a sucker for talking animal films(Still kind of am admittedly), me and my sister both enjoyed this film in spite of that, but we couldn't help but feel a bit miffed at being lied to like that.

My teacher in middle school also showed us this film and some of the humor definitely surprised her, Doug's reaction to the bathroom scene was priceless.

Walken is always fun to watch, by far the worst movie he was in was Country Bears, Disney's first attempt at making a film based on a theme park attraction and if you thought Haunted Mansion was disappointing, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Personally I never really got the hate for the Green Lantern film, I saw it in theaters and had a pretty good time.

15. Ace Of Roses

Ace Of Roses New Member

It would be fun to have a cameo of Linkara, because he "defends" GL , sure the movie wasnt that good or interesting, but. . . it was very faithfull to the source material, and tells the story pretty much as most iterations .( Roger Ebert also liked it , preferd it toThor, wich is awfull but maybe fans find something appealing)

16. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

Jack's voice is worse than I remember it being…

17. felidae5

felidae5 Member

A rather refreshing review; sparse use of Tamara, Malcom and props, a good look behind the makings, some typical ranting and Jerry O'Connel.
    I like Jerry O'Connell. But this movie...
    [​IMG]

18. Fancyarcher

Fancyarcher Well-Known Member

Good review. Fairly short by modern NC standards & some of the jokes actually made me laugh, especially the Thelma / Louise reference.

I have a very odd history with the film, saw the trailer in the theaters & assumed it was a sequel or something, because of the fact that the two main characters knew each other prior, and it just happen to involve a talking Kangaroo (I was 10 at the time). Finally saw it on Nick all the way through, kinda enjoyed it at the time, and even rented the DTV animated sequel, but now I look at it, and I can see "oh yeah this was definitely a film that was meant to be one thing, and they just added in a talking Kangaroo because "kids!" I really wouldn't call it a hit though. It probably sold well on video however.

Adam Garcia did Jack's voice in post-production. I guess they just decided they wanted some random Australian actor. Also he was in the directors previous film Coyote Ugly, so that probably helped. It's obnoxious yes, but I'm sure that's what they were going for. Doesn't mean it works though.

19. Enrique Cardona

Enrique Cardona Member

Boy that movie was really weird although hear it in Spanish is much better than in English.

20. Enrique Cardona

Enrique Cardona Member

And yeah it was unfocused.

21. ThatManWithTheHeadband12