"More videos" popup on YouTube embeds

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by Critic_Critic, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Critic_Critic

Critic_Critic More Trophy Points Please

For the past day or so, I've noticed on embedded youtube videos, both on the main site and in the forums, when the video is paused a giant popup fills the bottom half of the video with recommended links, and it's really annoying. Clicking on the X makes it minimize, but it stays onscreen, even if you turn off annotations.

Some looking around and it seems like this is a new thing with embeds, and specifically embeds - so if I watch all YouTube videos on YouTube itself, this isn't a problem, but it kinds defeats the purpose of watching it on the main site, to me. I mean, it's a genuine irritant and disadvantage here that I don't have to deal with elsewhere.

Thankfully, it looks like there's a quick fix for this, but it would be on the site runners to implement it: they simply need to change the "rel" parameter on YouTube embeds from 1 to 0. ( https://developers.google.com/youtube/player_parameters#rel ) This will also meant the embed doesn't display recommended videos at the end, but I'm not sure that's particularly useful to viewers watching on the main site.

Anyone else notice this issue on their end? Anyone else bothered about it like I am?

TheHappySpaceman likes this.
  2. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

I'm not sure we've been experiencing the same thing, since turning off annotations on a given video does the trick for me.

3. Critic_Critic

Critic_Critic More Trophy Points Please

Hmm... maybe I can demonstrate...

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 4.31.08 PM.png

That's how it looks with annotations off. Or on. Clicking the X minimizes the pop-up into a box that says "MORE VIDEOS ^" but that box stays onscreen no matter what.

4. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

Huh. That's what it looks like before I turn off annotations. But then, I think we've established my various adblockers alter my experience of this site from yours, so maybe that's that.

Anyway, yeah, that looks annoying and someone should stop it.