One Hit Wonder Request Line!

Discussion in 'Todd In The Shadows' started by SpotTheShingo, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

I just meant in the world of music in general. I know Todd reviews pop songs, but it seemed like a good place to bring this up.

2. TRH

TRH Well-Known Member

I guess we should add Eric Clapton, Linda Ronstadt, Meatloaf, Earth, Wind & Fire, Culture Club, Toto, Peter Gabriel, The Police, Mary J. Blige, Carrie Underwood, Avril Lavigne, Shakira, Jason Derulo, B.o.B. and Fun to the list as well, sure.

3. TRH

TRH Well-Known Member

Ooh, here's a funny one. This hit number two in 1967:

And because this song did so well, the band apparently focused their entire subsequent career on Snoopy-themed songs, including a Christmas version of the original hit. It might get a little repetitive, but it'd certainly be a funny episode.

J. McBain likes this.
  4. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

What about Jeannie C Riley with "Harper Valley PTA"?

5. jsquad1

jsquad1 New Member

I'm sorry, but has nobody heard of the greatness of that which is Tacos rendition of Puttin On The Ritz?

6. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

I'd have bet my left foot there was already an episode about this. Did I totally make it up, or is it a pre-YouTube version that didn't make the transition?

7. jsquad1

jsquad1 New Member

I don't make even think anybody on this thread has even mentioned the song yet. I checked, I never saw it requested ever. You people need more culture in your life

8. Squeezebox

Squeezebox More Trophy Points Please

The most I think he's done is a namecheck in the "Smooth Criminal" episode.

9. LibraHorse

LibraHorse Well-Known Member

Has anyone requested It's My Life by Talk Talk?

Most people probably know the No Doubt cover, but I think it was a pretty big hit in the US and UK. Plus their career after this song was pretty strange as their music became more and more experimental. In fact, their last album, Laughing Stock, is widely considered to be the first post-rock album.

10. benfromcanada

benfromcanada More Trophy Points Please

Sorry, the next one has to be Mambo No. 5. I've been saying that forever.

11. The Movie Explorer

The Movie Explorer Member

As much of an evergreen as “Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye” is (thank you, sporting events), it would be hard to make an episode on it because Steam were a band that didn’t actually exist, just a bunch of studio hacks assembled to record the song.

The Butthole Surfers had an actual chart hit? I thought they were strictly an underground thing. (Seriously, I can’t imagine any radio station outside of a college campus playing a band with a name like that!)

12. mvangord

mvangord Member

Pepper hit #1 on the alternative chart and bubbled under the Hot 100 I think. When Casey Kasem had to announce the alternative #1 on Casey's Top 40 he just called them "The BH Surfers", presumably because it was still the 90s and people were boycotting Disney for putting out ICP and Danzig records on their label. And yet he had no problem with "Bitch" when it was at #1 (AT40 stopped using Billboard back in 1991 if you're confused).