Post What's On Your Mind.

Discussion in 'Everyday Life' started by MichaelM09, May 10, 2010.

1. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

Isn't it NIИ?

2. TheHappySpaceman

TheHappySpaceman More Trophy Points Please

I was so distracted by Chris Cornell's passing that I forgot that Muse released a song today. Well, I love Muse. Let's see what the comments say...
    ...You see, Muse fanbase, this is why nobody likes you.

3. YouAskedForIt

Buddha would describe this as a problem of attachment that can plague the any of us.

4. TheHappySpaceman

Look, I'm not a big fan of the newest Muse song, either. But this is just horrendous. I've seen more, too. How is it that there are multiple comments correlating the death of one of rock's greatest frontmen to a modern rock band releasing a song that they aren't a fan of? They so aren't on the same plane. I get why people don't like the song, but leave Chris Cornell out of this.
    Yeah, that's how they spell it, but I was too lazy to find the backwards N character and insert it.

5. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf More Trophy Points Please

If we're both talking about Wong, then I'd hope giving him new writers would give him more personality. I wrote that post while dreading the thought of Scott Derickson supervising any Infinity War scene with Doctor Strange characters, but I don't know for sure if he will.

6. YouAskedForIt

I think we're on the same page then.
    Well I was really confused, just to let you know.
    Idunno, people were saying similar stuff when Ali died, I believe, on this forum. People tend to align sensitive events like that into their own terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

Critic_Critic likes this.
  7. TheHappySpaceman

Sorry about that. Maybe if I spelled out their name? (They were pretty great live, too.)
    I guess. I just think it was in pretty bad taste.

8. Critic_Critic

Critic_Critic More Trophy Points Please

Heyyyyyy buuuuuuuudddy!!!

Oh please. When have I ever even claimed to be human?

Why would I ever want to be associated with humanity?

Yeah, but distinction is people actually like Chris Cornell.

Bill Murray's been known to do similar things.

I assume so that she can take orders in the future if she needs to. Like, it would be part of training essentially.

Could be much worse honestly.

Seems just like an "icing on the cake" comment. Whatever, I mean, they could be cheering in light of his death. I've seen fans of X do the same for Y plenty of times.

I don't think such comments imply them to be.

Sounds vaguely familiar.

9. YouAskedForIt

Oh yeh.
    Well... I don't know if sorry can make up for it... You've highly offended me.

10. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

She is trained. We both been there close to a year. I think she started a week or so after me.

At least on dayside, (and she isnt available after 2pm because she has another job) drive thru is pretty much my territory. So if it overwhelms her to take orders in drive thru, and other people are capable (and not just me, obviously) dont make her do it. Thats how you lose employees.

11. Critic_Critic

Training is an ongoing process. You never stop learning, and you'll regularly need to brush up on your basics, correct deficiencies, improve, improve, improve.

It does seem like she needs to improve. ;)

12. TheHappySpaceman

By putting both of them right next to each other like that, it kind of implies some sort of correlation or connection. Like, "Ugh, this day was awful. World War 3 started and the newest Garfield comic sucked."

13. YouAskedForIt

Very good, grasshopper.

14. Critic_Critic

Yes, it does imply a connection. That connection being that they were both things that made your day awful. Not anything more than that.

The fact of the matter is, not everyone is morally obligated to personally value things with the same weight you personally value things. I think Chris Cornell's death sucks. Most anyone who really enjoyed his music would think so. But not everyone enjoyed his music. Some people would be more indifferent than others. There's a whole spectrum of legit responses someone can have towards any public figure dying in how much it impacts their day. And assessing it on the latter end does not make it some objective declaration of value.

In other words, I can recognize to whatever extent a person's death affects or does not affect my life without any sort of statement on its universal merit towards affecting other people's lives. I can consider a new Muse album to be of more impact to me personally than a celebrity death without inherently suggesting human life to be somehow less sacred or of less importance in the world.

Similarly, I might conclude from your comparison that you believe Chris Cornell's death to be on the same plane as an actual World War breaking out. And I could become similarly offended. But that would be wrong of me: juxtaposing two things in close context does not inherently imply you're proposing their objective worldly value any more than the people you're condemning.

As for your example, it might be hard to realize, but even in a "world" war, there are countries which did not necessarily participate and a whole spectrum of involvement for which any participation entails. And there's still wars going on today. There's another spectrum of the capacity these wars overtake involvement internationally, but there's always going to be people unaffected by your wars as you are unaffected by other people's wars. And in all these countries over the entirety of the world, there are going to be individuals who might feel their day is ruined, not just from the outbreak of War X, but from not enjoying something even as mundane as Comic Strip Y. Not to say they think the two are equivalent. Just to say, that may very well be the personal impact on that day in their daily life. And such a conclusion does not inherently declare a factual conflation of the values between one and the other.

Not any more than you displaying Cornell's worth to be more than the wars that continue today, because you compared him to a fictitious world war rather than actual ongoing ones.

JimB likes this.
  15. Clare C.G

Clare C.G More Trophy Points Please

Thank god it's Friday. I thought this week was never gonna end.

JimB likes this.
  16. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

Eh, i still say if it overwhelms her to the point shes willling to walk out and someone else on the shift can do the task, dont make her do it.

17. Stoopid Sockhead

Stoopid Sockhead More Trophy Points Please

Hey guys, it's been a few days since I've l last
    commented on the boards because my phone's
    internet was too slow for me to actually upload
    the damn threads. Need to switch soon.

Nothing much in terms of actual importance, but my family's planning to move back to the
    old family home in Georgia this mid-summer.

So, that will be interesting. Hopefully, the
    transition there will be smooth.

18. Dsneybuf

He didn't. Interesting that the reason I finally bought him involves another movie directed by Richard Donner.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  19. YouAskedForIt

Lethal Weapon 3?

20. Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc More Trophy Points Please

Dont ask......not actually, ask........or not.......or whatever.......

21. YouAskedForIt

Well, I mean... I don't get it... or do I?

22. Lt.Havoc

Its a meme of a meme inside a meme, its memception

http://inception.davepedu.com/

23. YouAskedForIt

Inception's one of my favorite movies.

24. Dsneybuf

The Goonies (which actually had a Superman: The Movie homage, to boot). Astoria had a Quest in which I had to freeze someone, but the character I normally use to freeze people (Zane the Titanium Ninja, from Ninjago) couldn't do it this time, so I had to get someone with freeze breath.

25. YouAskedForIt

That was my first real guess.

26. Critic_Critic

It's a job duty as part of the position.

None of this mediocrity in performance! :p

I like how it's given the subtitle "Angry Boat".

27. Lt.Havoc

There was this British series that was in the same vain as Thomas the Tank Engine but with boats, now I always imagine one of these boats with a angry face making the inception sound XD

Edit: The Series was called TUGS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tugs_(TV_series)

28. Clare C.G

Clare C.G More Trophy Points Please

So, added some money to my bank to make up for my other spend and sorting out all the stuff I'm gonna tell on Ebay tomorrow. Gonna try and be sensible next pay day and the pay day after that I've already started to budget some money to go into my savings and to keep in my bank so I don't have to worry too much about overspending again.

29. TheHappySpaceman

You know, I don't even know why I post on this thread anymore if every time I do, somebody is going to go out of their way to pick apart everything I say and make me look like a complete idiot.

30. Critic_Critic

Yes, learning and being fair to other people's perspectives is a rough journey to make. You pretty much have to check your pride at the door.

[​IMG]
    "Lemme in! Lemme in!"

Ratin8tor likes this.