Post What's On Your Mind.

Discussion in 'Everyday Life' started by MichaelM09, May 10, 2010.

1. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

Earlier this week, I opened The store so that my boss didn't have to. She has three kids. She didn' want to anyway. This morning, I opened again for my other boss, because when he opens, he bitches about everything and nobody was in the mood.

My first boss was complaining about not getting any applications in, (right now we barely have enough to make a weekly schedule) and I joked "You should hire me!"

I wasn't looking for any compliment. We joke about that all the time.

But without missing a beat she said, "I'm pretty sure I already did and I'm positive it was the best decision I ever made"

2. Clare C.G

Clare C.G More Trophy Points Please

I'm in no doubt that if I ever win a large sum of money, enough to afford a nice little house, do it up and have a lot left over I will end up clearing my amazon wish list of all Doctor Who comics, Doctor Who audios and Funko pops that I have on there instead of saving the rest. Of course if it's a few million I'll have enough to do all that and still have enough to live off for a long time if I stick to about £1000 a month.

3. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

I was supposed to pull a 4am-4pm today. But instead I'm pulling a 4am-1pm and then a 7pm-close. Cause our grill closer called off with "food poisoning"

4. Moviefan12

Moviefan12 More Trophy Points Please

This is really cool, Eden Espinosa, the voice of Cassandra on Tangled: The Series replied to one of my tweets about how much I love the show. I've had other people I admire reply to stuff I've said on Twitter but this one is really special.

Clare C.G, Dsneybuf and Ratin8tor like this.
  5. Fluffyman

Fluffyman More Trophy Points Please

Just with all the horrible stuff coming out about men who treat women like crap, it makes me think back upon a very bad experience I had with someone I had a crush on, and I was pretty much at fault.

Essentially she was a High School crush, saw her again a few years after we graduated being a waitress at a diner. I really wanted to sit down and talk with her, see how she has been doing all these years.

And I almost ruined our friendship because I was doing things that could easily be in the creep playbook. She was moving to Florida and I wanted to talk, I called her frequently, I tried to speak to her back at the restaurant, but of course she reacted as anyone would even yelled at me to stop calling. She was feeling very uncomfortable with me and I did eventually stop, but it took far longer than it should have for me to realize that what I was doing was very very bad.

We did mend things, I e-mailed her pretty much admitting just about everything I did was wrong and we did talk to each other again over the phone. Haven't heard from her in a while but I'm certain she's moved on past it. And last I knew she was with someone she loved very much and I'm glad she found happiness. I just want to punch my past self very much in the teeth for doing the things I did, not the only thing I want to punch my past self for, but one that I felt hurt the deepest.

It's something I can't go back in time and change, but it's something I am actively trying to grow out of.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 6:47 AM
    Clare C.G likes this.
  6. Clare C.G

I really should be spending this weekend getting as much as my to-do list done. I've been putting so much off for far, far too long.

7. Fluffyman

Yesterday started in almost 60 with pouring rain, then it got into the 40s, then it got colder with freezing rain, then it got colder and ended up with several inches of snow, and it's still snowing out and 14 degrees.

8. Critic_Critic

Critic_Critic More Trophy Points Please

And the rain, rain, rain came down, down, down in rushing, rising riv'lets.

9. Ratin8tor

Ratin8tor More Trophy Points Please

So what made you realize what you were doing was wrong, and would a massive hate campaign saying how horrible a person you are have made you realize your mistake sooner?

I'm curious, because I've seen this sort of thing a lot (men admitting that what they did when they were younger was stupid and immature and they regret it), and I'm wondering how best to teach young people now what they're doing is wrong. What made you realize what you were doing was wrong, and how would you teach people not to make the same mistake as you did?

10. Fluffyman

Essentially my realization more or less clicked when I wanted to talk to her at the place she worked at after I ate dinner there but after a few moments of waiting they told me bluntly to leave. This was after the whole phone call incident and after a few attempts at trying to talk to her in the restaurant but was always told she was too busy. I should have gotten the hint.

I don't know about hate campaigns, but if a lot of people are pissed at me for acting horribly to another person, I'd probably listen. I don't know if I would have back then, but I sure as hell would now.

I think the best advice I would give is, if a person you like is too busy or isn't interested at all in speaking with you, don't try to persist in trying to get a conversation, you're only going to make things worse.

11. Ratin8tor

And that's sorta the problem we face in a nutshell. Yes, when we get older and wiser we're smart enough to know not to do stupid stuff, but young people who aren't that experienced, is scorning and hating on them really gonna make them change, or is it just gonna keep them doing what they're doing?

I mean most men I know do have that moment of realization for whatever reason, but if we can figure out how to stop men from doing stuff like this in the first place, we'd have a better society. As a society, what's the best way to teach men not to be creepy and stupid around women, and what's currently happening that causes them to think this is a good idea.

... I mean part of it is media depictions and unhealthy gender stereotypes, but if we focus on prevention, we might be able to do some good.

Moviefan12 likes this.
  12. J. McBain

J. McBain More Trophy Points Please

This, this actually happened on my Twitter account! Actually, my cat's Twitter account. But still....

(It's @PippiTheCat)

Third from the top!

Screenshot_2018-01-13-15-46-16.png

13. Ratin8tor

Man it's weird getting news for social media, since everything is backwards. If you miss a story, first you see the aftermath of whatever happened, then you see the reaction real time. You sort of have to piece together everything that happened based on how people reacted, before you can work out what they're reacting to.

Like I learned the ballistic missile heading to Hawaii was false before I even learned that there was one heading in the first place.

J. McBain and TheHappySpaceman like this.
  14. TheHappySpaceman

TheHappySpaceman More Trophy Points Please

Same here. And similarly, I wondered what the whole "shithole" business was about for about ten minutes before I discovered that infamous quotation.

Unrelated, but I've discovered the way to make me cringe in just one word:
    Call me by my real first name if you aren't an RL friend.
    Is this normal?

15. LeeleeSobieskiFan

LeeleeSobieskiFan More Trophy Points Please

[QUOTE="TheHappySpaceman, post: 1247619, member: 133532”]
    Unrelated, but I've discovered the way to make me cringe in just one word:
    Call me by my real first name if you aren't an RL friend.
    Is this normal?[/QUOTE]

No it’s not,

Jim.

I have no idea what your real name is lel

16. TheHappySpaceman

Pfft. I'm honestly kind of glad you guys don't.

While I do believe that my parents had the best intentions when they gave me that name... at the same time, it has bothered me all my life. I'd be willing to change it if I didn't think it would be impossible to get anyone to start calling me by my new name.

17. LeeleeSobieskiFan

LeeleeSobieskiFan More Trophy Points Please

Hey, at least you don’t want to change everything your parents gave you, including your name, cuz that would suck heh heh heh HAHAHA HAHAHAHA

18. TheHappySpaceman

Fair dues.

I'm, like, 90% sure this is a reference to being trans, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions.

LeeleeSobieskiFan likes this.
  19. Critic_Critic

Should've been following the Trump thread here.

Listen...Peter, you're perfectly normal.

20. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

I'd say you have a long and established enough history for it to be called normal, Rumpelstiltskin.

21. Clare C.G

Well it seems I didn't get much of my To-do list done this weekend. Gonna have to see how much I can get done over the coming weeks. I'll need to sort it out and see how best to get it all done.

22. TheHappySpaceman

Meh. I don't want to follow anything related to Trump. Would give him too much attention. :p

Pfft. I'd rather be named Rumpelstiltskin.

(Okay, that's a lie, but then at least people would be more willing to call me by my middle name.)

Fun fact: My name has been listen as the #5 worst male baby name in one list, and the #18 whitest boy name on another. Thanks, Mom and Dad...

23. Clare C.G

I wish my mum would stop asking every time I'm on my tablet about how I'm doing job hunting wise. It does the exactly opposite of motivating me.

Dsneybuf and Critic_Critic like this.
  24. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf More Trophy Points Please

Finding more info about the Beauty and the Beast Legacy Collection soundtrack, then finally getting "Simple and Clean" on iTunes, makes this feel like a surprisingly good day for Disney music.

25. Critic_Critic

Can someone explain to me the logic of bowing out of an argument, only to post your argumentative remarks as a status on your profile?

26. Moviefan12

Moviefan12 More Trophy Points Please

It possibly makes people think that they have more control over what is said.

LeeleeSobieskiFan and Ratin8tor like this.
  27. Babylove Auds

Babylove Auds More Trophy Points Please

It’s what you do when you’re five.

28. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

He thinks it's an apology. He's trying to confess that his passions run hot and cause disagreements, but that he can't change it and he regrets it. He doesn't understand that we already know his passions are way the hell too hot, and he doesn't understand that making it about his passions makes it about his feelings, which makes it a pretty crappy apology.

It's an apology from someone who can't understand any perspective that doesn't put himself first.

29. Pallet

Pallet More Trophy Points Please

30. Critic_Critic

He's deleted them now, but at the time I posted, there were three status updates in a row of varying snark. I was just kind of bemused by it after being all "I'll just leave it at that forever and leave you all to rant about me", it seemed like he couldn't resist having some form of 'the last word', even if it was in his status updates that we very well might not even have noticed (took me about half a day).

Moviefan12 and Ratin8tor like this.