R.I.P. Chester A. Bum

Discussion in 'Bum Reviews' started by Kneel, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Kneel

Kneel Member

We've all seen the phantom review by now this is dedicated to his memory post fab reviews or moment or something

2. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

ThatManWithTheHeadband12 More Trophy Points Please

Hes not actually dead

3. Kneel

Kneel Member

You really don't think I know he's just a persona created by Doug just like the nc himself?

4. Critic_Critic

Critic_Critic More Trophy Points Please

He's not actually "dead".

House likes this.
  5. angrytaco

angrytaco Member

I'll never forget that time where he said 'Oh my god, this is the greatest movie I've ever seen in my life.'

Holland, INCspot and jedidarrick like this.
  6. Squeezebox

Squeezebox More Trophy Points Please

He also died in the 1-year anniversary brawl, only to come back to life a few scenes later. He probably just has Kenny McCormick Syndrome.

7. uknownada

uknownada Active Member

Hes "not" actually dead.

8. Slughorn42

Slughorn42 More Trophy Points Please

I was thinking, is it possible that we don't see Chester as much as we used to because Doug got feedback that said something to the effect of, "You're making fun of homeless people with drug problems and that's not ok!"?

Brad1ey Shaw likes this.
  9. Critic_Critic

Doubtful. We probably don't see Chester as much because Doug got mildly sick of performing him.

10. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

Perhaps there is a deeper subtext here. Maybe we as an audience have grown wiser on our ventures out to the movie theater. We may very well go to the cinema merely to eat popcorn and be sensationalized by action sequences dialed down to a formula. Yet now we do it as more enlightened citizens, able to judge a movie critically without wondering why our souls have begun to empty. It might be so that Chester A. Bum is merely avoiding the light, and it is also possible that he will one day be called upon again to tell us about the greatest movie ever.

Critic_Critic likes this.
  11. Squeezebox

Squeezebox More Trophy Points Please

12. benfromcanada

benfromcanada More Trophy Points Please

FUUUUUUUCK
    We lose Muhammad Ali and get this tired, awful old schtick back? Fuck today so hard.

13. YouAskedForIt

Comeon man. This isn't a thread to throw shade on the videos in the first place.

14. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

Unlikely, we woulda had a fight about it in the forums and I saw no such thing. Besides, it's not like he's standing in front of a camera going
    "Homeless people are worthless" or anything like that.
    Don't like Chester?
    We are on the internet.

15. benfromcanada

We did have a bit of a fight about that, actually. And he essentially was. And it was never that funny, and always very predictable, which is bad for humour.

Put it this way: I'd rather see Melvin, Brother of the Joker become a bi-weekly feature than see Chester A Bum come back at all, ever. If this latest one is the last the internet sees of Chester (and the knock-offs other reviewers have made) then we'll be better for it.

16. Babylove Auds

Babylove Auds More Trophy Points Please

Yeah, but no one is forcing you to watch him and others enjoy him, so it feels unnecessarily spiteful to come in here and shit all over him.

YouAskedForIt likes this.
  17. benfromcanada

Oh no I'm criticizing a pop cultural thing on a thread in a forum on a website dedicated to criticism of pop culture! OH NO!

18. YouAskedForIt

Yes and we all breathe air.

Reducing every argument down to "it's the internet therefore no one should say anything" is a cop-out.

It's not that big of a deal, but there's no relevant comparison between what those videos are doing and what you are.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  19. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

I agree it's not a big deal, but how is there no comparison? Two angry people venting their anger at a performance they dislike seems pretty 1:1 to me.

20. YouAskedForIt

Well the videos are justified by their viewership for one thing. There's more I could go on about the appeal and the reception to them, but it's reasonable to say that their comedic value outweighs the notion of their disgust of the content among other things.

There's an ocean between it as similarities go. This thread was in no way designated to be critical at all of Chester A. Bum. Defending the criticism as if it falls under some fair-use clause is ridiculous.

21. Babylove Auds

Ohh. Okay. Being unnecesarily cynical and rude is your schtick. That's exhausting.

22. Critic_Critic

It's fine to be critical, cynical, even downright dismissive, but it's worth pointing out that if you go and do that on a website of a specific fandom, in a thread created for that specific fandom, ostensibly existing for the purpose of lamenting his hypothetical departure, you're going to ruffle some feathers. Unless you take verrrry carefully your choice of words and your particular criticism, remember, other people have every right to be critical, cynical and even downright dismissive of you too, so be prepared for that.

23. JimB

So Ben's post is only unacceptable because it's unpopular?

benfromcanada likes this.
  24. YouAskedForIt

That's not really all I wrote, but I did write that sentence definitively. So:

Coming into this thread to say that is as irrational as going to a funeral and saying at the podium, "I knew the woman. She was a real whore. She cheated on my friend." Then defending it by saying, "this is a church, we're supposed to call sin out."

And to clarify further though. Unpopular isn't supposed to be a logically disqualifying adjective. But if you are feeding off of someone's popularity to that regard to warrant yourself being heard, then that's a little silly.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Critic_Critic likes this.
  25. Babylove Auds

I had issue with how he phrased his post, not the actual content. Looking at his other posts, I realized that that's just his thing and I put him on ignore because overly cynical people are fucking exhausting and rarely worth listening to.

26. YouAskedForIt

In possibly similar circumstances, I feel like holistically dishing out my thoughts on something, but find navigating the proper channels about the appropriate times leaving me rather impatient. Considering there is no specific thread that seems suitable for such criticizing, it's not totally non-understandable how it would end up here. Considering other frustrations he mentioned, I won't ignore the human condition, though I won't absolve him in light of it either.

27. JimB

Shrug. It's a public discussion forum. He criticized the subject of the public discussion and stayed within the limits of the rules of this site to do so. I'm not seeing the problem here.

28. YouAskedForIt

It didn't really have to do with the subject of the thread though for one thing. I wouldn't be surprised if I was chastised for that analogy, but aside from that I was bringing up the irrationality of the approach of the "criticism", declaring forehand that it wasn't that serious. His post wasn't so much of a criticism as it was a declaration of disdain for the fact that a new video had been posted.

It violating the rules of the site wasn't ever an issue. But just saying, "this show totally sucks," and emphasizing Ali's passing in the sentiment had nothing to do with a thread of people commiserating about the absence of Chester videos.

29. benfromcanada

I came by to pay my respects by saying the show sucked & I'm glad it's gone (much like people do with every show ever on this site). Then he came back, AND Muhammad Ali died on the same day. So it was s shitty day.

30. thebestoftherest

thebestoftherest New Member

I would love to see him return.