Random Anime Thoughts

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Movie-Brat, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Kubernes

Kubernes Active Member

It's as fun as the old anime was, although that one is pretty dated. Still has a certain charm and worth looking into if you like the newer one.

2. Kubernes

Kubernes Active Member

Saw this article today about the 1983 attempt to make a Hollywood Gundam movie. Syd Mead, who would later lend designs to Turn A Gundam, did the concept and story board art. Some of the art pieces are just fantastic too. I'd recommend the read on this and many of the other articles for lesser known tidbits in anime.

[​IMG]

3. ghostheadx2

ghostheadx2 Member

Kirito from SAO is so cliche, lol.

4. Drunken_Soviet

Drunken_Soviet More Trophy Points Please

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a scene such as this.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  5. ghostheadx2

ghostheadx2 Member

Haha lol wtf. I feel the same way as her sometimes. Can totally relate.

6. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf More Trophy Points Please

Since my sisters and I never owned Pokemon 3: The Movie on VHS, but at least two of us enjoyed watching it on Cartoon Network, I used a Best Buy certificate to purchase the Blu-Ray Steelbook set of the first three Pokemon movies. One odd thing I noticed regarding The First Movie: Even though none of the discs include the Pikachu cartoons, the end credits still say who worked on Pikachu's Vacation. Since it appears that the restoration team had to rebuild the end credits sequence with a higher-quality version of the animation, I thought they'd leave those names out.

7. Anno Nimus

Anno Nimus More Trophy Points Please

I only watched the first two Pokemon movies, but I was darkly amused by how hypocritical their morals were. The villain in the first movie is trying to get Pokemon to fight each other, and this is shown as wrong despite being the central mechanic of the entire franchise. The villain of the second movie is an obsessive collector, and this is again portrayed as negative despite Pokemon actively encouraging obsessive collecting.

8. Dsneybuf

Apparently, 4kids shoehorned the anti-violence moral into the first movie's English dub, completely re-writing scenes where the humans recognize all Pokemon, whether born naturally or cloned, as living creatures.
    Pokemon The Movie 2000, I don't have much to say about, since I generally don't hold the Orange Islands era of the anime in high regard.

9. Dsneybuf

Another oddity about those Pokemon BDs: They don't have subtitles, but they do have closed captions. Unfortunately, I can only watch DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs with closed captions on either our PS4, or my MacBook.

10. EvilMoose

EvilMoose Member

4kids at work again, though to a lesser extent than the First Movie. The Misty's retort in the Japanese version implies that the electrified cages Lawrence III keeps the birds is cruel, whereas the inside of a pokeball is somehow not cruel (keeping in mind that even after all this time, we still have no idea what the inside of a pokeball is like). Again, it's more about the painful electric cages than the idea that collecting in general is bad.

While we're on the subject of Pokemon acknowledging its own cruelty - Sun and Moon presents us with a villain who is a much more brilliant deconstruction of the player. It's diminished to an extent because Sun and Moon also introduces a small cluster of island paradises set aside for all the extra pokemon you've stored in your Boxes, which they can access at any time on their own. Still, gotta hand it to Gamefreak for calling out the horror of their own series.

11. Kubernes

Kubernes Active Member

Got around to watching Dragon Ball Super out of pure curiosity and it just feels like a big joke. Like the writers are literally playing an April's Fools Joke on the audience. And they keep running with it.

12. Pallet

Pallet More Trophy Points Please

13. Shockwave_the_Dragon

Shockwave_the_Dragon Active Member

You know he gets a really bad rap. I personally think he actually did something kind of right just want about it the wrong way. If any of you seen downfall the last days of Hitler you would actually know what I'm talking about

14. Kubernes

Kubernes Active Member

I think he deserves the bad rap. I believe he's the only character to go to hell in the obituary/memorium section of the manga.

I've been seeing a number of commercials for Miss Hokusai. I love Production IG and the setting but haven't gotten it yet. Anyone see the film and can recommend it?

15. Pallet

Pallet More Trophy Points Please

16. Rodro

Rodro Well-Known Member

17. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

ThatManWithTheHeadband12 More Trophy Points Please

18. Anno Nimus

Because he's Spike Spiegel. He goes where he wants.

SolidSnake750 likes this.
  19. ILuvGundam2001

ILuvGundam2001 Active Member

Still looks better than G-Saviour but I'm still glad this live-action adaptation got canned though. :)

20. Shockwave_the_Dragon

So watched the sub of the Seikaha Tenkyoken from Nanbakan.....i am really disappointed. Not in the performance but the lack of the g gundam passion from the English dub the one series where a literal less good performance is better. Buy they just...word for word....stupid translation

21. Necromancer1991

Necromancer1991 Well-Known Member

Honestly as much as people complain about the Dub for G Gundam being bad, they tototally hit the mark in term of how sincere and silly the series is.

22. Shockwave_the_Dragon

No I know, a technically worse dub is better because of the actual emotions put into it.

But in Nanbakan, they kept it word for word translation....and it wasn't Domo's voice actor as the the Chinese vampire.

23. SolidSnake750

SolidSnake750 New Member

THAT SHOULDA BEEN MY BEDROOM

24. Mantafahrer

Mantafahrer New Member

Will there ever be an anime continuation of Kangoku Gakuen? The Hmanga is top

25. Anno Nimus

While I've enjoyed what I've seen of Little Witch Academia so far, I've noticed something a bit off-putting. Through most of the series, there seems to be this running theme that says, "You'll never get anywhere in life by respecting other peoples' boundaries." Not sure what to make of that.

26. thatchickwithlonghair

thatchickwithlonghair Member

Did anyone else go see No Game No Life Zero?

It was pretty boss. What a gorgeous-looking movie.

27. Anno Nimus

Another problem I'm having with Little Witch Academia now that I've watched the whole thing. Magical society is depicted as being populated by hidebound traditionalists, and Akko shaking things up by being willing to defy convention drives a fair amount of the plot. I actually like this as it helps make the main character stand out, and I personally have never accepted "It's always been done this way," as a legitimate reason to do something.

And Then...

They introduce Croix, an instructor who accepts modernity and incorporates it into her magic, and is explicitly shown to be a more effective witch for doing so. Seems fine on the surface, but Croix ends up being the antagonist for the second half of the series. All those narrow-minded Luddites? Turns out they were right to be distrustful of progress since it nearly causes an international incident. It just seems to fly in the face of established themes, which has me scratching my head.

28. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat More Trophy Points Please

I'll tell you this, I laughed for two reasons.

1. How the audience took it.

2. That voice may have been what I pictured how Pikachu would sound like talking English. It's too funny!

29. Pinky

Pinky More Trophy Points Please

Still not sure to be weirded out or heart filled.