Random Comics Thoughts/Questions

Discussion in 'Comic Books' started by GoofyHairOzzie, Feb 4, 2012.

1. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

Why don't you go ahead and create a thread about it? Better yet a blog!

2. CarterTheMartyr

CarterTheMartyr More Trophy Points Please

Blogging is the work of the Devil.

3. YouAskedForIt

And there's no points for second best.

4. benfromcanada

benfromcanada More Trophy Points Please

Yes, fascism is inherently bad. Are you high?

5. YouAskedForIt

If it's run legitimately in the best interest of the people, then it's not inherently bad. There was a line in a movie trailer recently, should the state protect the people or the individual, and the child say "they are one in the same."

6. Pallet

Pallet More Trophy Points Please

7. GoofyHairOzzie

GoofyHairOzzie More Trophy Points Please

I have to wonder if Dave Gibbons' Cap Lives storyline is a unofficial prequel or prototype to Secret Empire given the fact that it involves Nazis Winning WWII and Cap fighting Red Skull within Doom's Time Machine causes a reset to the Marvel Universe we know now (sort of).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  8. Pinky

Pinky More Trophy Points Please

I still can't believe this massive backlash against Hydra Cap, he's a fictional character with over 75 years of stories why does it matter that he's been made a hydra agent again. That's right this has happened before and was in fact written by the Jewish creator that everyone uses as an example for why this storyline is so wrong. Or the super obvious fact that everything will still get put back to normal and this story will long be forgotten in continuity in about 5 years anyway.

Anno Nimus likes this.
  9. INCspot

INCspot More Trophy Points Please

The same reason it matters to fans of any other fictional character. We like them because they stand for certain things, certain ideals. When they're written as betraying those ideals, or never having believed in them in the first place, it hurts.

As for the story from the 1960s you reference, it clearly shows brainwashing at play. The Hydra Cap storyline initially pulled a tolerable saving throw with the Red Skull manipulating Kobik into rewriting Cap's past, so you could kinda argue the same thing was going on. But now Marvel's saying Cap's always been evil, having been restored to his true inherent self (which I found unnecessary and convoluted as well as disappointing). So it's not quite the same apples-to-apples comparison.

And even if it does get put back to normal and forgotten within continuity, readers will still remember. How many Spider-Man fans haven't gotten over One More Day yet?

benfromcanada, JimB and Moviefan12 like this.
  10. benfromcanada

Yeah, there's also the fact that always-evil nazi Captain America is worthy of lifting Mjolnir. Mjolnir has become a symbol for real life neo-nazis, and despite Marvel's insistence that Hydra isn't the nazis, they've still been run by the Red Skull for a good lot of their history, and now they're putting Inhumans in concentration camps, both in the comics and Agents of SHIELD. You better believe white nationalist, alt-right, & nazi comics fans are LOVING this new arc.

Edit: oh, and the comics also said that the nazis were supposed to win World War II & the Allies only won by rewriting reality. Like, if this was an alternate universe & not the mainstream Marvel universe, or an original story, that would be fine. It could be about the morality of rewriting reality, doing something inherently evil for the greater good. Instead, you get the ultimate anti-fascist becoming the worst nazi AND they've made sure he's the "real" one.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    INCspot and Moviefan12 like this.
  11. Pinky

People are saying it as if Steve is the only pure character in comics as if no one can match up to who he really is. This is nothing like the New 52 with Superman were the just tried to permanent regress him into a compromisible anti hero.

It is the same situation even by establishing he was originally Hydra there's still the obviously lingering fact he will be back to normal.

One More Day is different because it actually never retconed Peters reasoning and it actually stuck as a hindering reminder.

Yes and we still have none context for it Mjolnir was been pretty weird lately

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  12. benfromcanada

No, it hasn't been, unless you think "wielded by a woman" is "weird". Yeah, Jane can do more with Mjolnir, but this is specifically because mortals (especially Jane Foster) are inherently more worthy than gods, and at this point gods are specifically not worthy anymore. Unlike nazi Cap, this fits with the established continuity. Remember how Thor was originally Dr Donald Blake, a mortal? They retconned it into Odin making Thor into Dr Blake, but it was still because gods (especially Thor) are arrogant and mortals are less so, which fits into the theme of worthiness being partially tied to mortality. Hell, aside from Odin (who made the thing) no gods aside from Thor have ever been worthy, while several mortals have been found worthy. While the whole criteria for worthiness has never been set in stone, it's always depended on at least 3 things:
    1: a warrior spirit (courage)
    2: a good heart (the willingness to defend the innocent)
    3: humility

Current Captain America has been revealed to have always been evil, and he is currently evil. Previously, when Cap could wield Mjolnir, but reality had been altered so he was a good guy. Now, reality has been switched back to the default, and he's still able to wield the hammer. This is telling us that a nazi is a good guy. There is no other way to interpret this. Maybe the part about Cap originally being evil was a lie and this is evidence of that, but if that's the case, they've done a piss poor job of hinting at that. I'll at least eventually be OK with this if it turns out Cap wasn't really always evil and the nazis didn't originally win the war...but Nick Spencer hasn't done anything to inspire confidence. Especially given his anti-SJW issue, and his activity on Twitter.

13. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat More Trophy Points Please

14. Movie-Brat

This is surreal. Very surreal.

[​IMG]

Stoopid Sockhead and JimB like this.
  15. Pinky

I need more context.

16. Movie-Brat

It's the Suicide Squad/Banana Splits crossover.

17. EvilMoose

EvilMoose Member

You know... I was looking over my copy of Essential Ghost Rider Vol1 just now and something just sort of clicked in my head:

Marvel should bring back their old anthology lines. I'm absolutely goddamn serious. Bring back the books like Amazing Fantasy, Tales of Suspense, Journey Into Mystery and Marvel Spotlight. This is where the majority of Marvel's most iconic heroes got their start. They didn't simply begin with Amazing Spider-man #1, Iron Man FIRST ISSUE, or even Captain America #1. They all started up in anthology books like these. More often than not, these characters landed their own solo series within 10 issues or less.

If Marvel is really serious about pushing this inclusive diversity angle, then that's how they should do it. Rather than the blatant tokenism approach they took with Marvel NOW! and All New All Different, where they sidelined, retconned, killed or outright villainized their most iconic heroes to make room for PC replacements, they should introduce entirely new minority characters in the pages of anthology works. It's the perfect way to test ideas for new, diverse heroes with their own identities, while honoring the old Marvel traditions. More importantly, they can do so WITHOUT sacrificing or pissing on the legacy characters and pissing off the fans of established heroes. Anthology books can also give Marvel's more obscure characters a chance to shine when there aren't any new heroes being conjured up.

18. YouAskedForIt

Serious question here. I can't remember why I know anything about Archie at all. I can't remember where any show might have aired or anything. I've never really read comic books at all, but I have a distinct memory of Jughead wearing a crown and having a thing for hamburgers, while Archie and Veronica is a thing or something. Was this a show ever?

19. Anno Nimus

Anno Nimus More Trophy Points Please

There have been a few animated Archie shows. One was produced by Filmation back in the late sixties:

There was The New Archies, which debuted in 1987:

And there was Archie's Weird Mysteries, a product of the late nineties trying to tap into the well of kids who were into stuff like Are You Afraid of the Dark?

YouAskedForIt likes this.
  20. Pinky

Archie's Weird Mysteries, one of the incredibly rare gems at the end of DiC's life along with those two Sabrina cartoons.

21. YouAskedForIt

Hmm ok. I think it was the second one, and I probably watched it on Cartoon Network(?) The theme song might be familiar.

22. benfromcanada

1: Captain America actually did start with Captain America Comics #1.
    2: Anthology books died for a simple reason: people didn't care about most of the backup stories (which is why those heroes eventually took over the anthology books). And they still don't. They do occasionally include backup stories, and people complain that there isn't enough room to tell the main story with those pages dedicated to a backup. And when companies do try for anthology books? Dark Horse & Boom! & other companies try it, and it fails. Hell, DC tried an anthology book called Legends of Tomorrow (named to coincide with the TV series, even though only one of the features had a hero from that show). It was fun, but no one bought it. And so, after each "series" in the book had enough for a trade, it got cancelled. The only anthologies that make money are manga magazines, and they're black & white with super cheap paper...and even those wouldn't sell without hit anime like Naruto & One Piece propping them up.
    3: legacy heroes are a time honoured tradition in superhero comics. No one thought that losing Barry Allen & replacing him with Wally West was an insult, or when Wally West was replaced by Barry Allen. Or when Bucky took over for Steve Rogers. Or when James Rhodes took over as Iron Man. Or when Dick Grayson became Batman, or when Jason Todd or Tim Drake became Robin (we hated Jason Todd once we got to know him, but we were open to a new Robin). Before 2014, aside from one fiasco caused by character derailment (Kyle Rayner taking over for Hal Jordan) and one caused by explicit racism (John Stewart for Hal Jordan) people accepted legacy heroes because they knew it was a way to keep things fresh. Of course, with the rise of the alt-right & freeze peach warriors, well...yeah. Basically, what I'm saying is modern fans are more openly racist than they used to be. Because they are.
    4: No one buys new heroes unless and until they're on TV or in a movie. Why do you think we suddenly have a new Luke Cage series, a new Iron Fist, a new Jessica Jones, and new series for almost every Guardian of the Galaxy? Why do you think they actually sell well? It isn't because they're fresh new characters, otherwise the actually good Mosaic series would be popular.

23. YouAskedForIt

24. Pallet

Pallet More Trophy Points Please

25. Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc More Trophy Points Please

Hah, I like them both, because I read what I want! You cant put me into boxes, do you hear me!?

Really? And here I thought having him on the video game awards was silly........

YouAskedForIt likes this.
  26. Moviefan12

Moviefan12 More Trophy Points Please

27. YouAskedForIt

So is Spider-Man's rogues gallery the Marvel equivalent of Batman's?

28. benfromcanada

Yes. I personally think it's superior.

29. Pinky

Since She-Hulk has higher Marvel Legacy numbering then Captain Marvel she is technically more of Marvel's Female Frontrunner albeit Carol is in second place with Spiderwoman;s total issues rounding out third.

30. YouAskedForIt

Huh.. interesting.

'Cause I wasn't really sure if other comics didn't have as expansive of a list, nor even if that's the most distinguishing feature of Batman's. I mean they seem rather fleshed out also, each of them. But compared to other shows I saw, the recurrence of any given villain was consistently an "oh dang, he's back" kinda feeling.