Random Comics Thoughts/Questions

Discussion in 'Comic Books' started by GoofyHairOzzie, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Anno Nimus

Anno Nimus More Trophy Points Please

Most heroes who've been around long enough manage to collect an extensive rogues gallery, but oftentimes they have just one or two primary villains who serve as their main antagonist. Superman actually has quite a few villains, but Lex Luthor overshadows pretty much all of them because his relationship to the Man of Steel is the most interesting. Same deal with the Fantastic Four and Doctor Doom, or Daredevil and Kingpin. This happens with Spider-Man and Batman as well, to a much lesser extent. Their arch-nemeses will always be Norman Osborn and The Joker, but they don't always have to be front and center like some other villains. I'm not sure why that is, but there you have it.

YouAskedForIt likes this.
  2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf More Trophy Points Please

Something surprisingly cute I found when researching Jimmy Woo:
    [​IMG]
    Sadly, the Agents of Atlas book I ordered (which also contains Woo's first appearance, Yellow Claw issue #1) still hasn't come in yet.

Movie-Brat likes this.
  3. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat More Trophy Points Please

Yeah once upon a time, Godzilla existed in the Marvel universe. He actually almost beat the Avengers.

4. Pinky

Pinky More Trophy Points Please

And to think we could have had The Doctor, Optimus Prime and Spiderman riding on Godzilla at one point.

Also the ending to this makes, even more, sense now.

5. Anno Nimus

Anno Nimus More Trophy Points Please

It still blows my mind that Patricia Walker was an ARCHIE-esque romance comic character before she got folded into the Marvel universe and turned into a superhero. One of the oddest bits of continuity I've heard of.

6. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf More Trophy Points Please

Going through the bonus comics in that Agents of Atlas book, and the last one, published in 1978, asks, "What if the Avengers had been formed during the 1950s?" At least for Marvel, one of the members doesn't sound so retro anymore: 3D Man.

EDIT: Also, the panel where they actually christen themselves, "The Avengers", made me want to hear a jazz or bebop version of the movie's theme.

ANOTHER EDIT: It took a while for me to realize this comic came out the same year that Grease premiered in movie theaters...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  7. benfromcanada

benfromcanada More Trophy Points Please

I love this series

8. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

ThatManWithTheHeadband12 More Trophy Points Please

9. Moviefan12

Moviefan12 More Trophy Points Please

Just found out, there was a San Diego Comic Con Lego set based on Action Comics No 1.

[​IMG]

That is beyond cool.

JimB and Dsneybuf like this.
  10. benfromcanada

Disappointing that this had to happen, but it's great that DC and Marvel are sticking together against sexist trolls.

JimB likes this.
  11. Moviefan12

I've even seen others such as Archie Comics respond in unity.

Oh, and I had to share this one.

It's actually quite humbling seeing all these ladies talking about their comic love as I only recently started reading comics back in 2011 - 2012 and even then, I mostly stick to licensed comics. I mean, I'm currently reading Back To The Future, Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie, and My Little Pony, and Clue. Which is what got me into comics, I haven't waded into superhero comics as I find them daunting but I love seeing what these ladies have been reading for so long.

JimB and benfromcanada like this.
  12. Pinky

Pinky More Trophy Points Please

That's nice but there's a thought at the back of my head wondering how many got harassed by Eddie Berganza

13. Moviefan12

benfromcanada likes this.
  14. benfromcanada

Probably all of them

15. Moviefan12

Man, I swear IDW puts out all my favorite comics. Yeah, they're all licensed but they're so good. With that said, I still hope one day to see them do a Back to The Future/Ghostbusters crossover.

16. Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc More Trophy Points Please

So, friend of mine linked me to a comic on tumblr, that originates from the 1987 issue of Heavy Metal and is called "Bunker 6A" drawn by Pepe Moreno. Its about US Soldiers trying to assault a bunker in a sort of scifi/post apocalypse setting, where gas has been used of some kind and all soldiers wear NBC suits. The Bunker is some high tech thing that manages to kill all the soldiers expect one that then gets mad and assaults the bunker by itself, even removing his gas mask, shouting that whatever is inside should be man enough to come out and fight him.

However, a page shows that this is impossible, inside the bunker, strapped to various devices, is a young boy that is now dead and the narration then says that there is someone in a even deeper bunker, telling someone that the life support didnt make it to bunker 6A.

And the final panel has me stumped, because you see 3 military people looking at screens, with someone shouting "Traitor,s I am surrounded by nothing but traitors! The only ones I can rely on are my children my beautiful Children" while one thinks "Poor children, just a bunch of whiz kids strapped into a device." and I swear, that guy that was talking about Traitors is Adolf Hitler as a old man.

See for yourself: 70sscifiart.tumblr.com/post/163795334574/pepe-morenos-bunker-6a-from-heavy-metal-may

Is the artist simply saying:

Is it set in a alternative history setting? Are they Twin Clones of Hitler?! Why dont they nuke Hitler? So many questions!

17. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

That's very fitting of my understanding of the likes of Lex Luthor and Doctor Doom. I knew that there are other even prominent villains in those comics, but I kinda wondered why those two in particular had such paramount recognition. Maybe not that paramount compared to the Joker, but based on adaptive works of say Spider-Man, it wasn't very apparent to me that Norman Osborn held that mantle. Not for lack of attention in the movies, but because I don't really remember him being that center in the cartoon.

Really though, The Joker is much more familiar to me outside of the movies for Batman, but I think Batman in general has the biggest volume of adaptations across genres for any considerable comic. Not sure about TV when considering just 60's Batman and Fox's Gotham, but if you include video games and movies, he blows the others out of the water.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 7:58 PM
    INCspot likes this.
  18. benfromcanada

I'm guessing it's an alternative future where the nazis won WWII, and the part at the end was just a silly twist. Like, "you thought you were rooting for the good guys but the protagonists were nazis the whole time!"

19. Pallet

Pallet More Trophy Points Please