Random Film Thoughts/Questions

Discussion in 'Films' started by Minuto, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Fluffyman

Fluffyman More Trophy Points Please

Ever had those feelings where you remember seeing a film as a kid but never could remember what it was called? On a recorded VHS tape I or a relative had one time off of PBS, I recall there being a compilation movie of silent films a few of them with Laurel and Hardy. Well I think I found that film, 4 Clowns...

2. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat More Trophy Points Please

Just found out Ehren Kruger is writing Ghost in the Shell. Okay, now it all makes sense.

3. Minuto

Minuto More Trophy Points Please

It was one of the best sketches of the show, and that's saying something.

Movie-Brat likes this.
  4. Fluffyman

5. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

Everyone needs to see "The Belko Experiment" it's literally the best horror movie I've seen since "The Conjuring".

6. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

Why does it "make sense"?

YouAskedForIt and J. McBain like this.
  7. Pinky

Pinky More Trophy Points Please

I have a feeling the Power Rangers script was probably written ten years ago when gross-out humor was still a thing and all those cliches we saw in the first trailer weren't cliche.

8. CarterTheMartyr

CarterTheMartyr More Trophy Points Please

You forgot to put quotations around best.

9. estefan

estefan More Trophy Points Please

Yep, I can confirm that's an actual gag in the movie, although they reign in the gross-out jokes after that opening scene. There is an amusing running joke related to Krispy Kreme Donuts later on, one of the few successful jokes in the movie, imo.

This movie wasn't for me, really. I feel it should have embraced the cheesiness and 90's corn of Power Rangers a lot more. I found it rather generic and uninteresting for the most part and it didn't really fully embrace its inner Power Rangers until the last act. Although I will admit I smiled when they started playing the theme song. And I'm not even a Power Rangers fan.

But I can't say if it will work better for Power Rangers fans. Better to wait for Andre Black Nerd's perspective on the film, if you want a fan's thoughts.

10. Movie-Brat

As to why certain things about the entire movie are stupid.

11. Movie-Brat

12. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

What happens if they "don't"?

Holland likes this.
  13. Fluffyman

I just think to myself "What is a Power Rangers movie doing taking a joke from City Slickers 2?"

Yeah, so I heard. Doesn't mean much if the character is poorly written.

14. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

ThatManWithTheHeadband12 More Trophy Points Please

I've heard the Rangers are actually very well written

15. estefan

estefan More Trophy Points Please

I don't think James Gunn is as enthusiastic about turning animated films into live-action movies as much as his employer is.

Honestly, if Disney were to decide to make a live-action Emperor's New Groove, I would rather they take another crack at Kingdom of the Sun.

Nimrod101 and Flynn like this.
  16. Pallet

Pallet More Trophy Points Please

17. YouAskedForIt

He should be a little more considerate to his fans.

18. hnming

hnming More Trophy Points Please

You try to please everyone you please no one. Artists should just do their thang.

J. McBain likes this.
  19. YouAskedForIt

Tell that to George Lucas.

20. hnming

hnming More Trophy Points Please

I will. I am after all, one of the few here who vouches for the Binkster.

Flynn likes this.
  21. YouAskedForIt

Then how do you explain him giving authority to the supreme chancellor?

22. Movie-Brat

23. Movie-Brat

Oh, new Rita clip. So far, Banks is considered the major highlight in the early reviews.

24. YouAskedForIt

I kind of figured she'd be like Charlize Theron in Snow White and Chris Hemsworth and steal the show.

25. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

ThatManWithTheHeadband12 More Trophy Points Please

Most reviews I've seen say the Rangers are the highlight but Rita's paper-thin

26. J. McBain

J. McBain More Trophy Points Please

Just actually watched White Christmas, for the first time ever. I have to admit, it's a really great film.

Holland likes this.
  27. CarterTheMartyr

CarterTheMartyr More Trophy Points Please

You're darn skippy.

J. McBain likes this.
  28. Fluffyman

Just because of the new movie a few assorted thoughts looking back on the previous two Power Rangers films...

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie: I was excited at the time to really see my heroes on the big screen, but I was confused and sort of still am as to the point of it was, since it doesn't really have any effect on the show, just seemed more like Fox striking while the iron is hot I guess. I do like the fact they do try to make a lavish production to take advantage of it being a major motion picture, even giving the suits a bit of an upgrade, though the CGI was pretty awful even for 1995. While it makes me wonder what he was really thinking signing onto the project, Paul Freeman does make a great antagonist as Ivan Ooze. And I think this is still a really funny moment...

Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (Tidbit: This is the first movie I've ever seen at a Regal Cinema): Now going from a movie where I wondered what the point was to a movie that I understand the point to but really question why they felt it deserved to be a theatrical film. It's a movie that is trying to introduce the next series, but not really giving a big reason as to why they give up from going from the Zeo suits to the Turbo ones (Scenes deleted that explaination but still...), finds a very kid-pandering sort of premise involving a bunch of puppets who don't really even factor in the show if I recall correctly, and inexplicably just throwing in a new kid as the new Blue Ranger. Then of course, which I share similar complaints with Doug, is they take too damn long to actually get into the suits, and not a whole lot really interesting things to fill in that time. I give this over the previous film in that I am glad they didn't use CGI for the big battle at the end, but overall aside from using wholly their own stuff just didn't seem like it really had much justification being a big theatrical movie.

Holland likes this.
  29. YouAskedForIt

The only thing that really confused me in the movie was that they added a whole character with one of Zed/Rita's henchmen. The kid could have just been some obscure relation of the Rangers, but Zed and Rita's operation on the moon was pretty discrete, and there wasn't much place he could be hiding during the show. Then aside from that there was major upgrade to Zordon's lair, with Zordon of course being a completely different projection. I kind of notice this thing between Star Trek shows and movies, but this lair was a palace compared to the show's.

Other than that, I don't remember much of a reason one couldn't assume the movie was a part of the show at the point of seeing it. They could have added stuff in the subsequent episodes of the show to try and explain things, though you probably wouldn't expect to keep the palace. Then the weird part is that the show just continues as if the movie didn't happen, as we know, and it tries to fold into the same outcome with their temporary cloth uniforms and alternate spirit animals. It's as if they didn't want people to have seen the movie in order to keep up with the changes. That or the movie was just an attempt to get more people to watch the show as if it was some obscure mid-run pilot. I'm guessing the former. It was only a few years later that X-Files (by Fox) had a movie, and the subsequent episodes of the show follow right off of that, so that was particular, in my view...
    Regal used to be Signature in my town, and this movie only played at a more local theater down the street.

I wouldn't have seen this movie at my age, but I had a friend who had no shame, so I followed him into Mordor so to speak and through the proverbial ring in the fire pit (fitting given the events of this movie). I felt like you about the kid being kind of odd of a choice for this movie. I really liked the fact that they got Jason and Kimberly to show up, but they really didn't have much impact on the story. There experience as Rangers didn't really stand out or give an innovative hand on the effort. I was curious why Trini didn't show up. Oh, and did they call back on the relationship between Tommy and Kimberly? I think that might have been what I was expecting but might have been missing.

Anyways, not to harp on it too much as I started doing, though that was the last time I watched Power Rangers before watching it somewhat ironically from that point on.

30. Fluffyman

Yep the purpose seemed to be "bring recognizable characters to become evil and get saved by some magic bullshit." I won't lie though that Amy Jo Johnson does seem to be having a blast playing evil.

Nope, no reference whatsoever.