Random Video Game Thoughts/Questions

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Fluffyman, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc More Trophy Points Please

Anger (The Jimquisition)

2. Anno Nimus

Anno Nimus More Trophy Points Please

I've seen the Extra Credits video in question and I see where they're coming from, but I also see where Jim is coming from. But one thing I definitely agree with Jim on is that this is a bigger issue than just the video games industry. Things are going to need to change at a societal level if we want things to improve in any appreciable way.

Having said that, I think whether or not things like microtransactions and loot boxes should become part of a game's regular revenue stream is a moot point at this juncture. They're here and they're proven money-makers; the genie's out of the bottle and it's not going back in. What we should be focusing our energy on now is ensuring that they serve the game and the players rather than being predatory money pits as they all too often are.

Critic_Critic likes this.
  3. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf More Trophy Points Please

For the sake of transferring Miis from the Wii U to the Nintendo Switch, I just ordered my first amiibo, from a Japanese eBay seller:
    [​IMG]

4. Critic_Critic

Critic_Critic More Trophy Points Please

Yeah, watching the Jim Sterling video, then watching the Extra Credits video in question, I got the impression that the two positions are not entirely in conflict. Going by some of the comments, and maybe through the lens of (as Jim talks about it) anger, people are treating this like two sides butting heads, but I think they're actually talking about two separate problems. EC looks at it as a sort of small picture approach, where you have companies in a world with ever-increasing prices and needs, finding ways to keep their pricing the same, while still adding to their profit line. Jim's really hooked on the big picture, which is the nature of corporate greed within a capitalist economy, and how greed self-incentivizes itself. Shareholders put money into a company expecting to make money off of it. The company in turn needs to find ways to take in all this money and compound it into higher profit returns for those shareholders. Which results in some pretty questionable measures and potentially predatory practices. Watching Extra Credits periodically from even way back in its earlier days, I've gotten the impression that they were always more open-minded towards some of these changes in the system, and to the very monetary models themselves, so their videos took a more analytical approach asking questions like "how can we implement these changes to the best outcome as a gaming experience?" Rather than a more Jim Sterling approach "how can we send a message that these changes are bullshit that we're not going to fucking put up with it?" And truthfully, I think you can ask both of these questions in tandem with one other. They are both constructive approaches, that merely approach the problem from another angle. And hopefully fans of either series don't keep knocking the other for having a different approach when they have the same goal in mind. In benefit to the gamer.

...of course, the rest of you can always just go my route and abandon AAA games entirely because of how much the Indie scene has proven itself capable of, competitively, and they are more than worth supporting. Cheaper too. :p

JimB likes this.
  5. Thatkidwiththekeyblade

Thatkidwiththekeyblade Active Member

Anybody else playing through all the Kingdom Hearts games for the upcoming release of 3 this year?

6. Fluffyman

Fluffyman More Trophy Points Please

This year... suuuuuuuuure.

7. Fluffyman

8. Dsneybuf

As of yesterday, I managed to visit every kingdom in Super Mario Odyssey, including the ones you can't unlock until after you save Princess Peach and Tiara. I didn't 100% clear any of those places, but I at least visited them.

9. Pallet

Pallet More Trophy Points Please

10. Rodro

Rodro Well-Known Member

JimB likes this.
  11. Pallet

12. Dsneybuf

I used to think a time would come when I'd outgrow Mario, and prefer The Legend of Zelda. As of the Nintendo Switch, I still haven't reached that time.
    Although, the amount of money I paid for Breath of the Wild probably means I should continue sludging through it.

13. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

Interesting that Angry Joe's annual Top 10 videos have 1m+ views while the rest of them are usually 100k-300k. Also interesting that the top 10 disappointing is 300k more than the top 10 best.

14. Fluffyman

The average YouTuber likes to see critics tear things apart more than praise I would imagine.

15. Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc More Trophy Points Please

Games Should Not Cost $60 Anymore (The Jimquisition)

16. Dsneybuf

Finally defeated the first boss in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. With help from my Wedding Bowser amiibo, I also finished buying all the souvenirs in Super Mario Odyssey.

17. Fluffyman

Is it weird for me, someone who has Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U and have barely started it, to now want it on the Switch?

18. Dsneybuf

Probably about as weird as me downloading Namco Museum, despite not seeming like the best player of Pac-Man, Dig Dug, or Galaga, or hearing about the other games included beforehand, except for Pac-Man Vs.

Another random thought:
    Post-game, when Peach and Tiara also go exploring, I wonder if Peach also learns how to Capture and Warp.

19. Pallet

Would anyone here be interested in hearing what Tara Strong's voiceover sounds like in Them's Fightin' Herds?

20. Fluffyman

Welp, got Bayonetta 2 for the Switch.

I just think one of the major downsides is the fact they chose to have the first Bayonetta as a download with a code as opposed to it's own cartridge.

21. Pallet

Nevermind. I'll just do it as a profile post.

22. Dsneybuf

I finished taming the Guardian Beasts last night; Windblight Ganon felt like the easiest one to beat, and Thunderblight Ganon the hardest. (He made me feel so frustrated, I actually threw the gripped Joy-Cons past the TV.:oops:) However, I still need two more Heart Containers in order to wield the Master Sword.

23. Dsneybuf

Calamity Ganon and especially Dark Beast Ganon both proved even easier to beat than Windblight Ganon; the former even marks the first time, outside of Super Smash Bros., that I ever beat Ganon in one try.
    Thoughts on the voice acting? I find it more acceptable in Japanese.