Tamara's Never Seen & Tamara Just Saw

Discussion in 'NC Episodes' started by ThatManWithTheHeadband12, Jun 25, 2016.

1. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

Isn't one of the premises of FBDO that he's liked by nearly everybody?

2. Critic_Critic

Critic_Critic More Trophy Points Please

So I was like "not going to comment on these titles, will save comments for when she inevitably makes videos about them", but THEN she started sassing the comments, and I knew that was worth acknowledgement. Also you keep notifications for EVERY comment? You insane, Tams. You insane.

Oh right. Antichrist. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, her reaction would be priceless and more than worth watching. On the other...I can't see her not hating it and hating us for making her watch it. I'd feel worse for her than I did that time she got sick.

And honest stuff. Don't be hatin'.

(about to say "I'm on the second-last page!" then you guys had to add a new one... *grumble grumble*)

At least in-movie. That's a big part of the set-up for so much of the comedy to play out.

3. gellielfson

gellielfson Active Member

Tamara has been set down the dark path of Anime. It is a black hole from which there is no escape.

Critic_Critic likes this.
  4. YouAskedForIt

I don't know, I stay pretty buoyant.

5. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

That's one of the Miyazakis I've never seen, but Ms. Chambers makes it sound delightful.

6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike More Trophy Points Please

That's actually one of the few Miyazakis I HAVE seen as it aired on Toonami during March of Mayazaki and I caught it then... didn't for others like Princess Mononoke but did for Spirited Away and though I don't think I love it like everyone else it is a really charming movie and I have to admitt I'm with Tamara on not knowing it was going to be this story of this girl going through this wonderland story just to rescue her parents from being pigs with how it started. Also props to Tamara for getting Chihrio's name right. Why props to that? Doug who has seen Spirited Away multiple times and calls it one of his favorite movies of all time doesn't know her name ISN'T Zen and that was just her fake name given by Yubaba. Like seriously this just puts double shame on Doug for that if someone whose watching it for the first time picks up on the name but he doesn't.

7. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

Truer words were never spoken

Critic_Critic likes this.
  8. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

ThatManWithTheHeadband12 More Trophy Points Please

9. Critic_Critic

That was really a weird mesh of Tamara's Never Seen and Doug's own Vlogs. They sort of went all over the place. I'd complain, but then it kinda suits the source material. I honestly don't even remember like 75% of BTiLC, except that I loved it. Which is going to make it really fun to re-watch at some point.

Ok, NOW I'm on the second-last page. I'm also on page 15 of Channel Awesome videos, so I'm really getting close to finally being caught up. :D

10. The Movie Explorer

The Movie Explorer Member

Sigh. I can’t watch this episode. All the Miyazaki films out there, and she has to choose the one I still haven’t seen.

11. Critic_Critic

I didn't really have anything to say about this one. I'm only quoting it for completion's sake, to note that I saw it and liked it before I get to the next one.

Yeah, Tamara's opinion here kinda mirrors my own. I mean, I think I liked it more than she did...but not by much. It never particularly resonated with me or anything. I guess I just enjoy the general world-building and effects in a way more than her that basically made up for that lack of resonating.

The NeverEnding Story. She literally had just watched that when you posted. I truly don't know how you're not getting this.

JimB likes this.
  12. Critic_Critic

Holy crap, I'm like...just about caught up.

Go see more anime Tamara. Perhaps there you shall find that elusive "I HATED IT" movie!

OK. You. Young Frankenstein. Spirited Away. Marathon it. Now.

13. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

14. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

Tale as Old as Time: The Movie

15. Critic_Critic

For some reason, even though I saw this movie and liked it, virtually none of it stuck with me. Like if you had asked me a day ago to summarize the movie, I would be like...funny, VERY dark comedy, set in high school, something about cliques, Christian Slater is a complete creepazoid wacko Columbinesque - SURPRISE TWIST: he does NOT have a heart of gold. And I don't remember the rest. But I LIKED it!

If you asked me now, I'd just have to parrot Tamara's review. So obviously I need to rewatch it. I DID hear or read some of the lyrics from the stage musical adaptation, and that was DELIGHTFUL. ...obviously I need to see that too.

This is all.

16. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

Granted, this was long after the remasters were all released, but it did end up moving to Fridays

17. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

18. TetotheFoxSquirrel

TetotheFoxSquirrel Member

She couldn't have picked a better introduction to Miyazaki. It's one of his most imaginative films and the Alice In Wonderland-like storyline makes it most accessible to a Western audience.
    I wouldn't necessarily blame him. A non-Japanese reader wouldn't be able to make the connection that Sen is just a shortening of Chihiro. In Japanese, the first character of her name changes its sound when the second character is removed. Chihiro = 千尋, Sen = 千. Also, the character of Sen by itself can represent "one-thousand" as if she's been assigned a number. Chihiro's name is a pun meaning "a thousand fathoms".

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    gellielfson likes this.
  19. YouAskedForIt

I cannot believe it. Rocky is a classic. It one the Academy Award for Best Writing.

20. Critic_Critic

Holy changing shirts, Walter.

21. YouAskedForIt

Tamara!!

Tam-a-ra!!

Walter!!

22. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike More Trophy Points Please

I can as I never saw Rocky all the way through. One of my friends years back was huge into Rocky and saw it dozens of times and showed me and one of my other friends (who also never saw Rocky) a bunch of clips from the first 5 Rocky films. Mostly all the fights and the best comedic moments so honestly I haven't seen Rocky all the way through. I've seen enough where I saw Rocky Balboa and Creed in theaters and really enjoyed them but not the original so I get it. And honestly I like the idea of bouncing off someone who is such a huge fan and knows the franchise and wanting to know what Tamara will like and won't and getting a lot of it right. Honestly I'd be down if for the next few weeks Tamara went and saw all the Rocky films. Okay V is like super weak and lame from what everyone saw but I did see the ending of it and at least that's good and honestly it would be fun seeing her thoughts on the series as it goes on and what all the new characters and events that happen in it.

YouAskedForIt likes this.
  23. Volvagia423

Volvagia423 Member

No, it won Best Picture, Best Director and Best Editing that year, not Best Original Screenplay. Network, on top of winning that category, also won three of the four acting categories. On my ballot, I'd probably keep Rocky's editing win (landmark there, at least), give Director and Picture to Taxi Driver and have all of the acting wins go to the same films that they went to in an "I agree with 3.5 of these choices sense" (everyone the same from Network, but Hal Holbrook over Jason Robards for All the President's Men)

24. YouAskedForIt

Same difference.

25. YouAskedForIt

When my mother talks about the series, she speaks of how she saw IV first, and she thought it was good, interesting, and/or fun, and/or whatever. V hadn't come out at that point yet, but she proceeded to see III, liking it more, and of course seeing II, then I, and liking them increasingly. She didn't really understand the point of the outcome of the first movie, but she later got it. That being said, she then saw V and thought it was a POS.

I saw II, III, then IV, and revisited V after having remembered scattered parts of the movie from being really little. I even saw Rocky Balboa before seeing the first, I believe, since I had no idea who Spider was in Rocky Balboa. That might be a false accounting though since Spider is a blink-and-you'll-miss-him character and I could have just forgot even after watching V. Regardless, having visited the first movie, I have to say that it's a completely different experience than the otherwise standard structure of nearly every other movie, except where V and I guess even the later ones somewhat as V and on tried to make it more of a drama, as you may know. The circumstances in the first one are so in context that the fight is completely submerged in them, to the point that building sequels on top of them was rather level and flat, as the fights are most of anything standing out.

26. benfromcanada

benfromcanada More Trophy Points Please

Dude, quit being like that. Some people haven't seen some movies that were important to you growing up. Get over it.

JimB likes this.
  27. YouAskedForIt

Quit being like what?

It's great that she's seen these movies with the rest of us.

28. benfromcanada

Responding to whomever didn't believe she didn't see Rocky

29. YouAskedForIt

*scrolls up*

:oops:

Well in a manner of speaking in hyperbole, I don't think it's aggressive by any means to express one's surprise to such revelation.

30. benfromcanada

No, YOU'RE A MANNER OF SPEAKING IN HYPERBOLE! *runs away crying*

*comes back to post new Tamara's Never Seen video*

Critic_Critic and YouAskedForIt like this.