Terry Pratchett, Author of Discworld dies.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lt.Havoc, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc More Trophy Points Please

2. Critic_Critic

Critic_Critic More Trophy Points Please

Oh fuck! Now I'm going to have to join the 2015 SUCKS!!! train. :cry

Simply an awful loss. A wonderful author who I always hoped had so much more to give. Rest In Peace Sir Terry Pratchett. :Sorry

3. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat More Trophy Points Please

That was my reaction, "Oh fuck!"

Admittedly I haven't read much of his work but I knew who he was and my sister was a huge of his Discworld books and Good Omens. I did often read about the movie that was supposed to have been with Robin Williams but nothing came from it. So I'm sorry to see he died.

4. I only read the first book, but I know that Terry was a genius right up there with Douglas Adams <3

Bookstores where I live don't carry discworld books (And if they do it's likely only a few, and would be the latest written) I can only buy them used, but even then that's rare. So maybe, in memory of Mr. Prachett, they'll re-release the books in collections?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  5. CapitalRadioTwo

CapitalRadioTwo More Trophy Points Please

6. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat More Trophy Points Please

7. Critic_Critic

I absolutely love Discworld, but I should note that more coverage of the universe probably covers at most 10%. Making me something of a piss-poor fan.

That said, it took Terry a couple books to really warm up the mood and tone that would make his world so unbelievably awesome. I would personally say start with Mort (fourth book), and progress as you will. The Colour Of Magic and The Light Fantastic both really took quite a dedicated effort for me to get through, but that's not at all the case for so much of his brilliant stories, so please don't get scared off if you don't quite get into the first two.

Is there no Indigo or Chapters near where you live? The big bookstore chains still usually have bunches of them. And you could always look at this.*

[​IMG]

*Incomplete, but should help you get along for now. I think it only goes up to 2007 with Making Money.

Say you've got your mind set on reading them chronologically, but are limited to what's available. Look for the starter novels instead (the ones in orange), because they're effectively part of a different sub-series in the Discworld universe.

And of course, you can read Good Omens whenever you like. BBC probably still has the radio play up, and it's fantastic! I think I even preferred hearing it to reading it.

Alternatively, you can buy them online. In this modern day and age.

8. AstaKask

AstaKask More Trophy Points Please

9. I have a Chapters (Which was absorbed into Indigo) to be honest I have never saw a Discworld book. But then again, I always looked in Teen Fantasy. Maybe that's my problem? I should be searching through Adult Fantasy?

10. Critic_Critic

Yeah, go to the Fantasy section, look under P for Pratchett, and you'll find a bunch. 'ts fairly standard.

11. Critic_Critic

Thinking about it, a "teen fantasy" section surprises me. I'm used to bookstores just having a "teen fiction" section, maybe further divided up by age.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  12. Okay I shouldn't say "section" the Teen Fantasy novels cover really only one or two rows of shelves. But it's within the Teen Fiction area.

13. Critic_Critic

Hoh, boy. Then you are missing out.

[​IMG]
    (wish I could find a better image of a bookstore Fantasy section)

14. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

Honestly...I was grateful. I have seen how long it takes someone to die of Alzheimer's, and I have seen the horrors they have to endure as they wait for their brains to solidify to death. If Sir Pratchett managed to escape even a little of that tragedy with an early death, then my primary response to that is relief. I mourn the passing of a great life, but the future that got cut short is one I wouldn't wish on even the smallest, meanest life that lived.

15. Anno Nimus

Anno Nimus More Trophy Points Please

As Sir Terry was a death with dignity advocate, I imagine he would have agreed with you. Still, it's sad to think he's gone. I remember reading Guards! Guards! in my teens and falling in love with the Discworld immediately. He was one of a kind, and will certainly be missed.

"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken." - Terry Pratchett

16. Wookiee

Wookiee More Trophy Points Please

17. Critic_Critic

18. Wookiee

Wookiee More Trophy Points Please

19. AstaKask

AstaKask More Trophy Points Please

Death leaned over to Sir Terry.

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSESHAPED ONE MOVES.

20. House

House More Trophy Points Please

Bah! *sulks*

[​IMG]

21. That's exactly what it looks like in my store, as when I meant a row of shelves, I meant multiple large shelves side by side. I used the wrong word ^^; (I don't think sometimes)

22. GloatingSwine

GloatingSwine Active Member

Just as an aside, if you took that picture in basically any UK bookstore, half of it would be Discworld books.

It's basically guaranteed that a bookstore here will have a full set, and all the side books, spin offs, and various accoutrements

(I'm refraining from commenting specifically on this because I don't have the words, I've been reading the books for twenty five years, it's too big a part of my life)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    House and Critic_Critic like this.
  23. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

ThatManWithTheHeadband12 More Trophy Points Please

24. Critic_Critic

:(

Sad reminder bumps...