The Mummy (1999) October 24th Nostalgiaween Review ( SPOILERS STILL INSIDE!)

Discussion in 'NC Episodes' started by Jumpman256, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Jumpman256

Jumpman256 Active Member

During the Q&A at the IT screening last night, Doug revealed the target of the 2nd Nostalgiaween main review.
    The second movie will be the Mummy (the Brendan Frazer version)
    and it will be a co-review with James Rolfe, otherwise known as the NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRD!!!!!!!
    Should be a fun time. :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

ThatManWithTheHeadband12 More Trophy Points Please

With 5 weeks in October, there's going to be SOMETHING landing on Halloween itself (unfortunately that's Nov 1 for YouTube). Hopefully it's a review of some sort.

But wow, we went 10 years without a fully dedicated review of a
    Brendan Fraser
    work, and now there's two in one year. TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH DOUG

Also, that's three straight years of
    James Rolfe
    crossovers

3. Kneel

Kneel Member

monkeybone
    says hi

4. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

I said two in one year, Adam. Read once in a while

TheBuggeredOne likes this.
  5. TheBuggeredOne

TheBuggeredOne More Trophy Points Please

But then he can't nitpick and fulfill his superiority complex...

Moviefan12 likes this.
  6. Kneel

Kneel Member

Adam is gone. Not sure how you knew his name but hes gone

7. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

8. Moviefan12

Moviefan12 More Trophy Points Please

This whole conservation is giving me a dead Taylor, new Taylor vibe.

9. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

You know what I would’ve asked at the Q&A? Confirmation whether this year’s Nostalgiaween intro means a Top 11 Treehouse Of Horror Segments. And if not, whether

A) There will be some other sort of Top 11 Episodes episode this year, and if not,

B) whether he’s planning on picking the tradition back up next year and starting the streak over

10. Volvagia423

Volvagia423 Active Member

Who's decently major (as in a lead actor or actress who's either popular or important) left on his list? I'd say Gosling (if he can't get 15 minutes out of Lars and the Real Girl...), Cusack (a host of fodder, including War Inc and 2012) and Steve Martin (his Clouseau is breathtakingly bad).

11. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

Tom Hanks, Clint Eastwood…

12. Kneel

Kneel Member

Guys im here quick you need to warn everyone-

THAT HE WILL NEVER BE FREE

How did you know my name anyway we do share that curiosity

13. Volvagia423

Volvagia423 Active Member

For Hanks, it'll probably either be one of the Langdon movies or maybe that Ladykillers remake for either Old vs. New or Oldish vs. Newish. (I'd hope for the latter, because it's seriously the Coen Brothers worst movie by a wide margin.) For Eastwood? It's a question of whether he wants to get his directing career out of the way at the same time. If he does want to do that, he'll probably do Space Cowboys. If not, Every Which Way But Loose (1978) is still within his upper limits.

14. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike More Trophy Points Please

Or we could ignore your ignorant dumb ass if you're not going to bother actually contributing to the conversation. Yeah I think that's actually a good idea so *Ignores Kneel, hoping everyone else does the same*

Also if we're talking actors Nostalgia Critic has yet to cover, Tom Cruise is actually a big one. Well not in stature but in filmography and star power. I mean Doug's mentioned Mission Impossible but more for the effects then music and didn't really cover the acting at all and Cruise has honestly made much more interesting messes to talk about...

As his Mummy movie is far worse then Brendon Fraser's but I guess Fraser's is defintley more nostalgic to talk about. I think at a convention Doug mentioned he was going to do a three way crossover with someone on the site and not someone on it this year though I doubt it's this and part of me wonders if Doug was talking about the Sorcerer's Apprentice crossover with Some Jerk and this with AVGN together when he shouldn't of. But yeah this should be a fun one. I actually do remember seeing the Mummy when I was a kid only having vague knowledge of the original Universal 30's Mummy movie. And there were the spinoffs/sequel of this I didn't see though I did see a bit of that stupid Mummy cartoon Kids WB had. And though the movie is generally decent there are things to mock here especially since I hope James comes at this as a Universal 30's movie purist as that would make for some good jokes/observations.

15. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

At some point several months ago you were making the same comments on Twitter and Facebook as you were here…

16. Jumpman256

Jumpman256 Active Member

Have edited the title somewhat as since IT appears to be tomorrow (as I suspected) I put the (tentative) date for the review up there. :)

17. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

Well, look at this!

18. Jumpman256

Jumpman256 Active Member

Okay, time to update again. :)
    Ooooh, and could this be an Old vs. New? Probably not....

19. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

He’s clearly saying it’s the 2017 version though

20. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike More Trophy Points Please

Yeah but they already said they're going to do a review of the 1999 Mummy movie (I guess since that's been said in the title it's no longer a spiler) and now Rob's saying they're talking about this one as well. I really don't think it's an Old vs New since

A. Those are usually done for movies where each side at least has something positive or interesting to talk about. Even something like Charlie and the Chocolate factory had better effects and some unique characters worth talking about. Rob's made it clear there is NOTHING he or Doug find good in the 2017 Mummy so it can't be an Old Vs New. I guess you could say maybe it was an "oldish vs newish" like was done for The Haunting except

B. They obviously already did work on the Brendon Fraser movie review and that was a collab with James Rolfe so if he was involved with that they would of spelled it out which they didn't.

IMHO I think when Rob means they're talking about both movies is that we're going to have a separate review for the 2017 mummy. Maybe that's the review coming out on Halloween. Since yeah as shown with stuff like Matrix Month or even some of the last couple of Star Wars reviews Doug can do additional reviews on top of one another for special occassions. So honestly I think next week we'll get an editoral (hopefully top 11 Treehouse of Horror segments from the Simpsons), then the 24th the 1999 Brendon Fraser co review with the nerd then on Halloween a review of the 2017 movie. That would make the most sense to me really since they don't really need to see the 2017 Mummy just to talk about the 1999 movie so obviously they saw it for a reason and my guess again is it's own review.

21. TheBuggeredOne

TheBuggeredOne More Trophy Points Please

22. Fancyarcher

Fancyarcher Well-Known Member

Russell Crowe ruled as Dr. Jekyll IMO, shame he was underused a bit. Movie was a dud otherwise, though I did like the score too.

23. bole

bole Well-Known Member

Why not the 2017 film? I heard it's far worse than this one. Is it not out on DVD yet?

As for this movie, always remember being super hyped to see it when it came out because it was a 15 and I was only 13 at the time, so I had to wait for the VHS to come out. I don’t really remember much about the movie itself other than basically liking it by default, I wasn’t exactly going to dislike it after waiting so long to see it.

Might have to check out again, see if it’s another Lost in Space case for me where the whole time watching, I’m constantly thinking “why did I ever think this was a good movie?”

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  24. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat More Trophy Points Please

The Brendan Fraser Mummy movies sucked anyway.

25. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

We are getting it. We don’t quite know the situation

26. Shockwave_the_Dragon

Shockwave_the_Dragon Active Member

27. bole

bole Well-Known Member

I don't want to buy it man! Besides I'm in the uk.

But thanks for trying to help I guess.

28. tolchok

tolchok Active Member

I called The Mummy as DOA if only for one factor - Alex Kurtzman as director.

If you had a problem with the J.J. Abrams Trek films, it's more likely he was to blame, alongside Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof. Say what you want about The Force Awakens, but it would have been so much worse if Abrams chose to bring any of them along to write it. And despite failure after failure (The Island, The Legend of Zorro, Transformers 2, Prometheus, Star Trek Into Darkness, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Tomorrowland), these morons kept failing upwards, until Orci and Kurtzman were given carte blanche for their own cinematic universe despite putting two franchises in jeopardy (though Spider-Man was saved by Marvel Studios). And from what I've heard, Kurtzman's not exactly much better as a director...

NostalgiaManiac likes this.
  29. Juniper

Juniper Active Member

Sad thing is, my half-brother went to high school with them.

30. Shockwave_the_Dragon

Shockwave_the_Dragon Active Member

You asked if it was on dvd. Link shows yes it is.

...but bit for dollar I'm gonna guess its still clipless. Mainly due to Cruize being so high up his own rectum pulling it like the room.