The Punisher: Netflix Series

Discussion in 'TV' started by J. McBain, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Fancyarcher

Fancyarcher More Trophy Points Please

This entire post of chain of posts is absurd from start to finish.

I just really enjoyed the show, and thought it went out well compared to most Marvel TV shows. Jon Bernthal is great.

2. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

Can you believe this guy^

I thought it was great by the time I finsihed it on my second run. I'm not sure if it's because I don't particularly like bingewatching, but each episode stands well on its own to the point where I felt more vested in each one as it came along. I wasn't so anxious to see the following episode as much as I was just wanting to see the show in general. Though I have to admit that the buildup to what is several people's favorite episode was actually really good imo the second time around. The plan for Micro to try to contact Madani while the cops/media get hold of Castiglioni's presence was more tense and well-done than I remember.

3. Hoodieninja

Hoodieninja Active Member

Who?
    The PUN-isher?

PS. I never asked for this.

Abed_is_a_God likes this.
  4. YouAskedForIt

Wu-Tang... That's that next-levels hit.

5. CarterTheMartyr

CarterTheMartyr More Trophy Points Please

That almost made me quit the show. Such a weird running gag.

6. YouAskedForIt

Idunno I thought it was funny when the kid asked him what he's doing there and he replied that he's baking a cake.

7. ThatManWithTheHeadband12

ThatManWithTheHeadband12 More Trophy Points Please

Renewed for season 2!

8. YouAskedForIt

I'm not surprised considering the first season was pretty good. It was some next level shit.

9. CarterTheMartyr

How dare ye

10. YouAskedForIt

I was never much into hip-hop.

11. Anno Nimus

Anno Nimus More Trophy Points Please

I liked this series well enough, though the Punisher has never been a character I could get behind. I think he's an interesting character study, but I've never liked him as a hero due to his methods. So narratives involving Frank Castle always end up being a bit iffy for me, since they kind of have to take the stance that killing criminals is a better alternative than arrest and trial. I tend to agree with the characters who say Frank is little better than the people he murders, and the narrative usually implies that I'm wrong to have that opinion. I'd say this series handles that better than most, though their attempts to dance around the gun control issue are a bit silly I think.

12. YouAskedForIt

In Daredevil S2, I valued greatly how he stirred up the pot. The banter between him and Daredevil on the rooftop felt kind of, idunno, elementary(?), though I'll admit that it's a provocative subject to delve into. On a side note, that's sort of what made Daredevil interesting; his Catholic guilt that kinda made his persona rather stilted. Punisher was indeed an interesting distorted mirror to that.

So, we don't really get that here, and the pot he's stirring is the shadowing CIA/Military operation. Personally I think it's less interesting of a pot to stir, but at the same time is a bit easier to take seriously as a story. From the command side of things you move down to the issues of veterans returning home and the challenges they face, and I thought there was quite a bit to digest, with Frank being in the middle of that to varying degrees on each side. I mean, the gun-debate issue was just kinda tossed around like a salad, so I'm not sure if people are taking it a bit too seriously when assessing the show. Not to attempt to devalue your opinion or anything, just my thoughts on any issues of gun-violence that surrounded the show, and how say The A.V. Club analyzed such.

13. YouAskedForIt

In Jessica Jones there were exposing thigh shots, and the point of penetration was apparent, but Punisher showed much more flesh and was much more casual with the nudity. In Jessica Jones it was a bit more rigorous and somewhat heated I guess for that matter, but a lot closer to PG-13. Again, I wouldn't say that the second scene in Jones back away that much from maturity, but the flesh on flesh and climaxing was definitely more graphic in the Punisher.

Now that I think of it, even the R-rating for film has quite a bit of limitation, and the only thing we don't have in Punisher is breast or genitalia shots.

btw this was some pretty hard-hitting journalism criticism, Kneel.

14. CarterTheMartyr

He is the definition of a true antihero. I think not liking him as a hero is kind of the point.

15. Kneel

Kneel Member

There were no boobs

16. YouAskedForIt

Not sure if you were replying to CarterTheMartyr or me, but just incase; I don't believe I ever said there were. But if that's part of your argument, I don't think exposure is necessarily more mature. I mean, just for instance, general nudity isn't even shied away from on public European television as far as what I've heard. It will definitely determine ratings here, but when we're talking about fornication and what not, what's mature goes beyond basic exposure of boobs.

17. YouAskedForIt

Yeah. I mean, I don't think what he said is necessarily invalid, but it seems to be heavily in spite of the whole convention of an anti-hero.

From there, it could be interesting to talk about said limits for an anti-hero, but that can get sour real quick. Kinda like talking about the limits of comedy; it ends up being a basic answer that takes a lot of stress to come up with.

18. Kneel

Kneel Member

There needs to be more nudity in movies

19. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf More Trophy Points Please

Watching episode 2 right now; after The Defenders, it feels relieving to go back to grounded stories, though I still don't know yet where exactly to rank the show, compared to the others I've seen from Netflix and Marvel.

20. YouAskedForIt

At this moment, I just finished it for my 3rd viewing. I've grown to appreciate it more each time, partly for what you're saying. I noticed how they don't bring up special people at all in the series. In fact, when referring to a drastic event, 9/11 is referenced while no mention of The Incident takes place.

21. Anno Nimus

Anno Nimus More Trophy Points Please

[​IMG]

YouAskedForIt likes this.
  22. YouAskedForIt

Keep in mind that this show actually had more male nudity than any of the other shows. Don't you think that's a pretty commendable effort at least?