The Terrible Political Cartoon Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Debate' started by Pallet, May 10, 2016.

1. Necromancer1991

Necromancer1991 Well-Known Member

Okay I found this particular strip which isn't offensively bad and I will admit I do appreciate Dr.Strangelove references but at the same time I think the message is a bit...muddled.
    [​IMG]

So just to explain the author's explictly saying "This is what the war between North and South Korea would look like if it hadn't ended.." but I don't really see the current situation of the Kim family basically sitting on the button as being any more favorable. Also assuming he's explictly at war with South Korea, why is it he seems to be aiming for South America?

Edit: Also here's a few that I found amusing[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    benfromcanada likes this.
  2. Critic_Critic

Critic_Critic More Trophy Points Please

I guess he's comparing the war between North and South Korea with the war between the Union and the Confederacy, as an example of when outrage over statues would be understandable. But like...there's no rhyme or reason to be making at conclusion, at least, in what's outlined in the cartoon. Which makes it bad satire. It's just...here are things, I make comparison.

I like this, though. Yeah, Trump. Way to help people who need help. Your methods will SURELY improve America.

Not great, but I like any criticism of people who preach sympathetic "thoughts and prayers" on one hand, while the other hand actively exacerbates the issues they face.

I wish. Hard to enjoy my popcorn when we're all getting fucked over by the show.

3. Necromancer1991

At the risk of jumping from one comic to another too fast I found this particular comic that really infuriated me, from it's attempt to equivocate the left with terrorists and how it frames the removal of statues built after the fact condoning the fucked up status quo that the Confederacy was fighting to maintain with the attempt to remove evidence of pre-islamic civilization from the Middle East, removing the icons of other religions, and all whilst simultaneously pushing for an Islamic Theocracy. Like seriously just fuck off with this attempt to imply some form of hypocrisy.[​IMG]

4. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

Heh. I like how the comic is pretty directly saying, "Statues of Confederate soldiers are religious icons."

5. Critic_Critic

I'm just baffled that they literally equivocated Buddha with Robert E. Lee. Like, seriously?

6. Necromancer1991

"They're like...just statues right?" - The Artist

But seriously if he understood the actual significance of Buddhas he'd realize the gravity of the mistake he just made. Just to clarify things for the uninitiated Buddhas are those who have attained enlightenment, they aren't necessarily worshipped so much as venerated as an example to emulate in the hope of achieving enlightenment. But based on the comic strip the author has basically equivocated Buddha with respected but otherwise normal historical figures.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Critic_Critic likes this.
  7. Felis Leo

Felis Leo More Trophy Points Please

[​IMG]

This is one of the worst, idiotic and insensitive cartoons I have seen in a very long time. Texans do NOT tuck their bluejeans into their boots.

JimB likes this.
  8. benfromcanada

benfromcanada More Trophy Points Please

No, that's a good cartoon

9. Fluffyman

Fluffyman More Trophy Points Please

I don't think he was being serious.

10. Critic_Critic

Yeah, I was going to say. It's a smart deconstruction of various stances intersecting despite the contradictory benefit those who believe in them are nevertheless reaping all the same. And one such reason is that said people often act too stupid (or possible ARE too stupid) to even notice the hypocrisy of it.

Though sure, #NotAllTexans

I'm sure he wasn't, but I'm unsure if the extent that he was not being serious means that he intended the complete opposite meaning to posting said cartoon.

11. The Movie Explorer

The Movie Explorer Member

Not terrible, but considering the time of year, I thought this 1886 image ought to be shared in its entirety. No idea of the original artist, but I highly suspect Bernhard Gillam—it sure looks like his work, anyway. And yes, this is the source of my avatar image.
    GouldCaughtNapping.jpg

Happy Labor Day, everyone!

12. Pallet

Pallet More Trophy Points Please

Love how Branco didn't even try to hide that his political cartoon was recycled.
    [​IMG]

Previously:
    [​IMG]

13. Necromancer1991

At the very least try and change things beyond the word bubbles.

14. Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc More Trophy Points Please

He has been recycling his art for ages, same with several other cartoonist, but Branco is one of the worst, like when he reused the gun shaped America cartoon several times or the "America shaped hole in Obamas teeth" cartoon

J. McBain likes this.
  15. Pallet

Has Branco ever taken a science class?
    [​IMG]

16. JimB

Okay, so, every scientist in the field of climate studies is involved in a conspiracy to defraud the government, and this conspiracy is linked to another, Democratic conspiracy to raise taxes for...what purpose exactly? Just to be evil, I guess? Because paying taxes is an evil thing?

Critic_Critic and J. McBain like this.
  17. Lt.Havoc

Branco is a Reganite and believes in Reganomics so Higher Taxes and More Regulations are the absolute worst thing one can suggest and is the cause for all the problems the USA has and if you are for Regulations and Taxes you are a dirty SJW liberty stealing communist that hates America.

18. Necromancer1991

I love how people repeatedly equate "CLIMATE CHANGE", that is to say a overall change in climactic trends, and weather in a small scale sense. Also bear in mind "Change" itself is a neutral term, and ignoring the scare-mongering around the phrase as a whole, both "good" and "bad" weather can/are indicative of climate...what's the word *snaps fingers* CHANGE!

Edit:Just to make a simple example, imagine if we went for years without any hurricanes at all, not hurricanes making landfall, not a lack of large hurricanes, they just stopped completely (for the purposes of making a really strong example I'm including tropical storms in this). That'd be a huge deal worth researching.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  19. J. McBain

J. McBain More Trophy Points Please

There are those who believe, that are "weather changing satellites are responsible for everything happening over few years.

Seriously.

20. Necromancer1991

Not the dumbest thing I've heard surprisingly, like we've had some success changing weather patterns by using things like Silver Iodide for Cloud Seeding so the mere idea that it's a result of intentional human tampering isn't totally out of the realm of possibility to some extent (This is different from the unintended, passive form of Climate Change being caused by humans) so it's not a totally ludicrous assertion. Like I've seen everything from people denying WW2 ever took place (Like the whole thing was a massive sham, without any direct statements concerning the holocaust, and that nobody died over the course of the whole war) and that planes are holograms projected by Satan.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    J. McBain and Critic_Critic like this.
  21. J. McBain

J. McBain More Trophy Points Please

Airplanes, projected by Satan?

Seriously?

22. Pallet

Err...what?
    [​IMG]

23. Critic_Critic

That is both small and densely packed. I almost don't even want to hate on it, because I love elaborate comic strips that could practically serve as a Where's Waldo in how much little details there are within it. Except because the image is so small, I can't read 80% of the text, so I'm just going to assume its some Alt-Right Word Soup, perhaps literally.

[​IMG]
    (pictured: Ben Garrison after drawing this comic)

JimB likes this.
  24. Pallet

Yeah I don't know why that happened. It was decently sized where I found it.

25. JimB

It's just babble. It's pictures of things labeled to be other things, with no insight or point except "here's a bunch of bad stuff that's bad." He might have just as well written it in list format.

"McCain is bad because war."
    "Bush is bad because war."
    "Google is bad because censorship."
    "Illuminati is bad because Illuminati."
    "Rape is bad because Bill Clinton." (You might think that should be reversed, but nothing in the image leads me to think Ben Garrison understands rape is bad because it's rape.)

It just goes on and on. It has nothing to actually say. It's not even offensive, it's just fucking tedious.

26. Critic_Critic

All that and you still haven't found Waldo?

27. Felis Leo

Felis Leo More Trophy Points Please

Leaving his politics aside for a moment (because I am frankly getting tired of people just posting cartoons of those with political viewpoints they disagree with and calling them bad for daring to have wrong opinions), the reason I think Garrison is a poor cartoonist is because he feels the need to cram so much into any one particular cartoon to the point where it seems that he is trying his hand at some weird form pointillism. There is literally material in this for more than a dozen separate cartoons, and this is genuinely painful for me to look at.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017 at 12:52 PM
  28. Critic_Critic

Y'know, I'm bad at keeping track of the specific artists themselves who keep cropping up in this thread, but I think I disagree with this notion. Cramming a lot into a particular cartoon isn't inherently bad - it's what you're trying to cram in there. Going back through this thread, the reasons he's been bad have been:
    -absurd delusional hyperbole
    -nonsensical associations
    -antithetical understandings
    -gross misconceptions of the non-political part of his metaphors
    -more delusions about the world outside of 'Merica
    -As @JimB said "unresolved homoerotic lust for Donald Trump"
    -Or perhaps the weird non-critical religious worship for all things Trump when it's not displayed as a weird display of hyper-masculine sensuousness.

None of those reasons have been "he's trying to say a lot at the same time" but rather "he's trying to do so with a mouth full of horse manure". If he wasn't full of so much shit, having a lot to say wouldn't be such a bad deal.

29. Pallet

Then there's the mass overlabeling. Anyway, on to this one...
    [​IMG]

30. Lt.Havoc

Holy crap is that art bad, did a 6 year old draw that? Whats with the guys arms and shoulders, and his whole head, is he also made out of Play Doh? And why are all the stuff on the table and the coloring book so big?