Trainwreckords Request Line

Discussion in 'Todd In The Shadows' started by LibraHorse, Oct 21, 2017.

1. LibraHorse

LibraHorse Well-Known Member

So now that Todd has a new series, what career ending albums do you think deserve to go under the knife?

For me, I think an easy choice would be Lauryn Hill's unplugged album or The Black Eyed Peas' The Beginning.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. Squeezebox

Squeezebox More Trophy Points Please

Garth Brooks' In the Life of Chris Gaines seems like it was made for this show.

I also wonder if he's going to cover albums that weren't necessarily career killers but were bad ideas that stalled an artist's career. If so, I think some of Neil Young's '80s albums would be worth looking at.

Moviefan12, TRH and J. McBain like this.
  3. TRH

TRH Well-Known Member

I wonder if Eminem's Encore counts. It wasn't a permanent end, but one hell of an impediment. There's also Lulu, of course.

4. The Movie Explorer

The Movie Explorer Member

• Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Love Beach
    • KISS: Music From “The Elder”
    • Bruce Willis: The Return of Bruno

5. LeeleeSobieskiFan

LeeleeSobieskiFan More Trophy Points Please

"Neighborhoods" or "California" by Blink-182 would be a good choice because they're both awful.

"Chinese Democracy" by Guns and Roses, "St. Anger" by Metallica, and "Invincible" by Michael Jackson also comes to mind.

6. ajlposh

ajlposh Active Member

Didn't Madonna's most recent album flop? Or at the very least, produce no hits?

7. J. McBain

J. McBain More Trophy Points Please

Van Halen III?

8. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

"King James Version," by Harvey Danger.

9. The Movie Explorer

If you’re going to do Lulu, you might as throw Metal Machine Music in there, too. Which also presents a challenge: how do you review an album without any actual music on it (despite the title)?

10. TRH

TRH Well-Known Member

She hasn't had a career since 2008 at best, with 2000 probably being the more relevant date. I'm not especially up on her album discography during this period, but I'm guessing there might be something that fits the bill from back then.

11. mvangord

mvangord Member

Liz Phair's self-titled album is a must-have for this series. That and Be Here Now, I was thinking of Rocked Reviews maybe doing it in his Regretting the Past series but I figure Todd would have more to say about it.

12. ajlposh

ajlposh Active Member

She had a minor hit in 2011 with "Give Me All Your Lovin'". But that the last thing that ever even came close to a hit

13. Fancyarcher

Fancyarcher More Trophy Points Please

The Damn Best Thing by Avril Lavigne seems perfect for this. Also Bionic by Christina Aguilera is obvious, and Smash Mouth (2001).

14. LibraHorse

Rocksteady by No Doubt.

15. MrSilly

MrSilly New Member

50 Cents mainstream career pretty much ended after the release of his 3rd album "Curtis" but that wasn't because the album was a significant drop off in quality for him it was more of the public moving on from Gangsta rap and embracing the non gangsta stylings of Kanye West and the like.

Weezers Make Believe was the final nail in the coffin for a lot of their fans, i am pretty sure they haven't had a mainstream hit since "Beverly Hills"

In the Uk Robbie Williams was THE biggest name music until the release of "Rudebox"

16. Squeezebox

Squeezebox More Trophy Points Please

They haven't had any pop hits, but those were rare for them before "Beverly Hills" anyway. They've had plenty of alternative hits since then.

17. TRH

TRH Well-Known Member

Just because something has a high chart peak doesn't make it a hit, IMO. It took six weeks to hit the top ten, then immediately dropped almost 50 spots in two weeks. That's what I call a Flash in the Pan Flop, for lack of a better term. Like Perfect Illusion or Rise, songs that debut really high, or get really high in a couple weeks, but then just collapse. A hit needs to at least cling to the top 20 or close to it, the way I see it.

18. The Movie Explorer

Besides, wasn’t Cinemadonna enough Madonna mockery for a lifetime? I think he covered this several times over, in particular the line about “rapping about yoga and soy lattes” from the I’m Going to Tell You a Secret review.

19. Volvagia423

Volvagia423 Active Member

Todd referred to 50 Cent's studio debut as "Get Rich and Stop Trying" in the Top 10 Worst Hit Songs of 2011 list, so I'd guess either The Massacre or Curtis WILL be a future Trainwreckords episode.

20. LeeleeSobieskiFan

LeeleeSobieskiFan More Trophy Points Please

Both of these albums are great, desu.

"Raditude" by Weezer. "Make Believe" is a more controversial one because that's when they sold out, but "Raditude" is much worse.

Also, "21st Century Breakdown" by Green Day.

21. LibraHorse

Another good subject: Mardi Gras by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
    This was made after Tom Fogerty left the band due to not having enough creative say in the music. John Fogerty pushed the other two members to write their own songs despite their reservations. Furthermore, John refused to sing or play lead guitar on the songs he didn't write. The album tanked, critics tore it apart, and the band broke up later that year.

22. The Movie Explorer

How about the Doors album(s) made after Jim Morrison died? I forget which was first, Other Voices or Full Circle.

And dare one ask for The Ethel Merman Disco Album?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018 at 10:59 PM