What are your thought's about these stories. I know these are old but...

Discussion in 'Politics & Debate' started by Hoodieninja, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoodieninja

Hoodieninja Active Member

Okay but I still had to look up what he was talking about.
    I did read it but the point is that he didn't post any links about the context of the situation

Jim Posted

Had to look up his opponent for more context.

2. TheBuggeredOne

TheBuggeredOne More Trophy Points Please

I'll concede that yes....you did post links. But here's the thing: what if they weren't videos? What if they were to just random webpages. Say you posted it to some non-mainstream news site. Do you know how frequently sites that aren't big news sites set off my anti-malware programs? Pretty fucking often. I'm not gonna expose my computer to malware to "Educate myself."

You want to start a discussion...the onus is on you. If I were to mention something that relates to Canadian politics, I'd damn well give context because there are like....two other Canucks on this forum. I wouldn't just name drop Elizabeth May and expect everybody here to know who the fuck she is.

Moviefan12, Hoodieninja and Ratin8tor like this.
  3. Ratin8tor

Ratin8tor More Trophy Points Please

Yeah, good for you, but JimB still provided more than enough context within his post that other people didn't need to look it up since they understood what he was talking about.

4. TheBuggeredOne

Btw....Elizabeth May is the leader of the Federal Green Party

Ratin8tor likes this.
  5. Hoodieninja

Not if somebody didn't know who Roy Moore was. I'll raise my context levels just for you in the future rat.

6. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

But I thought Jones was running for the House of Representatives, not the Senate.

7. Ratin8tor

Well victory at least. So, while you're raising context, who are the two people you talked about in the opening post and why are you enraged at them?

8. Hoodieninja

What Aboutism, links I post aren't necessarily safe either.

I did eventually give context. And I shall do so more in the future.

9. Hoodieninja

I'm not enraged at them, just trying to understand the situation more.

10. Ratin8tor

Angry at them, upset at them, burned by them etc. Who is Chris Chan, and why are you so inflamed by the story.

11. TheBuggeredOne

But if you want to engage discussion, you should either post sites that ARE safe, or provide context so that people who don't want their computers infected with all kinds of malware can still engage rather than locking them out of the conversation because they care about their computer's health and not getting their identity stolen.

Or is that too much to ask?

Moviefan12, JimB and Ratin8tor like this.
  12. Hoodieninja

I don't know why you're under the assumption that I would do something like that on purpose. I'm just trying to be honest, I don't know what websites are filled with malware and or spying on you. I'm personally just trying to be as safe as I can about it.

13. Moviefan12

Moviefan12 More Trophy Points Please

I only have a base knowledge of Chris Chan but I remember that he was infamous for his not very well received fan comic titled Sonichu, a combo of Sonic and Pikachu. Not the best source I know but I'd rather use it than 4Chan or Kiwi Farms but this reddit post elaborates a bit on who he is.

Hoodieninja likes this.
  14. YouAskedForIt

It's not that hard to believe when one considers your evil intentions.

15. Hoodieninja

I'm not inflamed by the story. More surprised then anything, again I said I've been living under the rock.
    Like I don't understand how people can do this, Like I know it's trolls, 4chan and all that bullshit.
    It just makes you think man.

Just try and think about everybody involved in Chris Chan's situation, he was an Autistic kid who put himself out on the internet and essentially *sigh* i just can't.

And the Time Cube one even makes you think as it is also about 2 people with mental disorders involved a person who thought he knew enlightenment and was telling people about a crazy Religious Theory about Cubism. And how MIT invited him to a debate was somewhat mocking him. And how things snowballed from there.
    It also makes you think about the ethics involved in that situation.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  16. Hoodieninja

And what do you assume those are?

17. Moviefan12

Don't take anything YAFI says seriously as he treats everything like a joke.

Hoodieninja likes this.
  18. YouAskedForIt

Pure evil

19. Moviefan12

For anyone interested in the other thing that was mentioned in the opening post here, here's a Wikipedia entry about Time Cube.

Hoodieninja likes this.
  20. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

Why are you bringing me into this?

But okay. I guess I'm in this now, so let's do this thing, as tiresome and predictable as it's going to be.

Let's start by discussing the differences between my post and yours. Mine was about a hotly contested US senatorial race that was being covered by every major western news outlet domestic and foreign; it was being pretty ceaselessly covered on American news, not to mention every entertainment program I watch (and as an aside, seriously, for you to be this oblivious to the race is baffling to me given its ubiquity; "under a rock" doesn't even cover it). My post about it came on the day after the election was resolved, at the height of its popularity and presence. Yours, on the other hand, is about YouTube no-names years after the fact.

Then there's that I didn't ask anyone to comment on my thoughts, or to go do any research of their own, or to click links for sites that get paid according to user traffic. I posted about something so intensely covered that everyone who is not you was already passingly aware of it, and I described my issue in a way intended to make clear what angle of the story affected and how it did so. I'm honestly quite curious to know what information you needed from looking up the story that you didn't get from my one sentence describing it.

Third, it's relevant to discuss who is making these posts and how much leeway the community is willing to afford us. I am not the most popular person here, but I have been here for years and have won--fairly, I think--a reputation for being conscientious if not kind, and for speaking in good faith at every opportunity. You, on the other hand, have built up a great deal of antipathy through your repeated demonstrations of glee at seeing others suffer and eagerness to see more of it. I don't know why you expect anyone to give you the benefit of a doubt, because no one has a doubt left about you.

Finally, I did not lie to anyone in my post. I said that I was scared, I explained why, and I let others respond as they saw fit. You came here and pretended you want to know what we think about whatever you're talking about, but we know you're lying because if you actually wanted to know what we think, you'd have been willing to talk about it instead of spending... hang on, let me count... twenty posts refusing to talk about it for favor of insulting everyone.

So maybe keep my name out of your mouth when you want to compare yourself to someone whose work yours is not comparable to.

21. Felis Leo

Felis Leo More Trophy Points Please

Well, I'll bite. I started watching the video about Christian Chandler, if only because I recognized the meme pictures of him but never really knew anything about the man (who now identifies as a woman) at the time. The video about him started making me physically ill because I cannot stand watching people being psychologically tortured or bullied (even if that person him/herself happens to be severely antisocial) and I had to stop watching part way through. What exactly is the point of this thread and why is it in the Politics & Debate Section in a new thread instead of "New Articles that Pissed You Off" thread? What exactly were we supposed to debate or discuss to achieve a greater level of understanding on the subject? Whether or not anonymous people on the internet can be unbelievably cruel to socially-oblivious people with clear developmental disorders? I think that the existence of cyber-bullying against the psychologically vulnerable is already a well-established fact, and we already have a thread for simply clocking your personal outrage.

EDIT: And we already have a thread to discuss cyber bullying as well.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  22. Moviefan12

@Felis Leo, your post sums up a lot of what I was thinking. I went and did some digging here and found that we did have a thread about Chris Chan from years ago.

http://channelawesome.com/forums/th...-aka-chris-chan-arrested-for-vandalism.52647/

It's in the Video Game subforum and granted, the last post was in 2015 but I think that speaks to the lack of relevancy that Chan now has.

This makes me so glad that I did not click on the video as I was afraid something like that would be shown.

I had been wondering this same thing since I first saw this thread, I left puzzled by what the discussion was meant to be here.

Also thank you for bringing up a thread that I wish got more attention.

Ratin8tor and Felis Leo like this.
  23. Critic_Critic

Critic_Critic More Trophy Points Please

(I leave you guys for a few days, and this happens)

Last time I said anything about Chris Chan, I was told that I'm not allowed to weigh in on the issue(s). I abided by this ruling, and I have to say my life was definitely better for the decision. This isn't a person worth paying any attention to. Not for his sake, not for the sake of his harassers, nor for your sake. There's much more worthwhile things to do with your time.

24. TheBuggeredOne

In my defense, I tried to stay out of this one....but I enjoy being a shit disturber (as you probably know), and, well...yeah.

Moviefan12 and Ratin8tor like this.
  25. Hoodieninja

OMFG I posted 2 videos for reference what is so hard to understand about that? You are all utterly and completely ridiculous. Get over yourselves please.

26. Hoodieninja

These aren't news articles.
    This just isn't about Cyber Bullying.
    And again how many times have I said this? I'm not outraged.

27. Hoodieninja

Oh so anybody keeping up with the elections would know what you're talking about thanks.
    Just as I thought people knew what I was talking about, pretentious much?

Doesn't matter if it was you I would of used any one of anybody who normally posted around here. Because I know somewhere one of you messed up somewhere =)

28. Moviefan12

I don't think JimB was being pretentious, he was just exhausted with having to put up with this behavior.

Ratin8tor and JimB like this.
  29. Hoodieninja

What behavior? Again I posted references. And you all started Bitching I just wanted to hear your thoughts Simple as that. Please just get over yourselves. All I'm saying is can we move on please?

I can argue back and forth all day but for the love of God I just wanted to hear about your thoughts on the situation. You know I have a feeling that some of you are quite repressed and or easily triggered. And for that I'm done. Congrats You win. I'm out.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  30. JimB

JimB More Trophy Points Please

Nothing is hard to understand about that. I see them embedded in your post (which, given how often this site screws up for me, is actually not a given). What you don't understand is, no one cares that you posted videos. The complaint is that you demand conversation while refusing to contribute your own thoughts rather than the regurgitated work another person has done. What is so hard to understand about that?

Moviefan12 and Ratin8tor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.