What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Discussion in 'Films' started by Film Brain, Aug 14, 2008.

1. YouAskedForIt

YouAskedForIt More Trophy Points Please

More like the half a factor xD

2. Fancyarcher

Fancyarcher More Trophy Points Please

It was only 1 / 2 the help a viewing experience for me.

3. YouAskedForIt

I don't understand what this mean.s

4. Fancyarcher

It was my attempt at a gag in response. 1 / 2 basically means half, so I was just responding to what you said. Guess I failed on that count. Heh!

YouAskedForIt likes this.
  5. YouAskedForIt

No just the "help a viewing" part.

Fancyarcher likes this.
  6. Fancyarcher

Oh! That was just referring to how good my experience of watching the film was.

7. Fancyarcher

Big Night - 7 / 10

8. Fancyarcher

Gold - 6 / 10

9. Fancyarcher

Molly's Game - 8 / 10

10. Fancyarcher

Atonement - 7.5 / 10

11. Fancyarcher

Anchorman - 7 / 10

12. Fancyarcher

13. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

The Boss Baby: solid enough film, but I'm not sure if I'll need to revisit it anytime soon.

14. Clare C.G

Clare C.G More Trophy Points Please

Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Really good film, and liked it well enough. A bit too long though. I'm sure they could've done something better with the climax. It didn't feel paced right.

15. Taker90

Taker90 Well-Known Member

Star Wars Last Jedi, and Phenomena 1985 Italian film

16. Holland

Holland More Trophy Points Please

The Christmas Bunny.

Because, why not?

Even Florence Henderson couldn' save this film. But she wasn't given much to do.

17. Fancyarcher

Rushmore - 8 / 10

18. Fancyarcher

19. Fancyarcher

20. Fancyarcher

Maze Runner - 6 / 10

21. Fancyarcher

Saw The Post. Great film, well-acted, and very relevant too. - 8.5 / 10

My 1:40 showing sold out though, and it was surprisingly a mix of older people, and some younger ones too. I don't even think my The Last Jedi showing had as many people in it as my Post screening did. They were all into the movie as well. Nuts!

22. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat More Trophy Points Please

The Shape of Water:

“Since childhood I’ve been faithful to monsters — I have been saved and absolved by them. Because monsters, I believe, are patron saints of our blissful imperfection.”
    - Guillermo del Toro

For a lot of people including myself I admit, we want a special someone. Someone who can understand you, believes in consent, relate to, anything. It's not easy finding love yes. But for a mute woman, she found love in a way she didn't really expect but stuck to it with a natural attraction. If you watched the film already while reading this, you probably know where I'm going with this.
    Guillermo del Toro has a knack for making monster movies but not in the traditional sense. Most of the time anyway given Blade II, the Hellboy films and Pacific Rim. But much of his filmography explores something like the above quote I opened this review with. I'll discuss it more later but suffice to say, films like Pan's Labyrinth and Crimson Peak follow the same kind of metaphors and contrasts throughout much of his work.

The Shape of Water is a period piece, taking place in 1962 Baltimore with Elisa (played by Sally Hawkins) working as a custodian with her friend Zelda (played by Octavia Spencer) at a government facility where Colonel Richard Strickland (played by Michael Shannon) is holding a fish creature (played by Doug Jones) where he is held captive and upon getting a connection, Elisa sets out to free him.

However that is a sort of condensed version of the story I described because there is a lot more than I described especially given what happens when she discovers the fish man. Because what follows is a much more emotional journey than you'd think. Maybe it will depend on how well you connect with the film but with me, it certainly hit the right notes in that department.

Sally Hawkins is mute throughout the film and I agree that a mute should have been used but for a particular moment, it was clear why but I understand the grievances still. But that aside, Hawkins did really well in the role saying more with her facial expressions than dialogue (she uses sign language throughout especially with subtitles). Hawkins really put in a lot for her performance and you can feel the connection between her and Doug Jones as the fishman since the chemistry is strong in both the actors and the writing. You feel the connection from their first meeting face to face when she gives him a cooked egg she made and he accepts it-showing the kindness he ended up getting from her.

Her best scene in the film is when he tries to convince Giles (played by Richard Jenkins) to help free the fishman which he doesn't agree with at first. The amount of emotion with no dialogue, just sign language how much she was committed to the role and the emotions presented.

Doug Jones despite not saying anything as much except for growls and whatever his language is when he does speak, he emotes as much as Hawkins. He has body language to assist in that department, not just the facial expressions. His best scenes are when he's with Hawkins during their romantic intimacy moments especially with impressive shots of them underwater. And the makeup effects by David Grasso and David Meng are especially well done-evoking the Gil Man look that no doubt was intentional on del Toro's part given how much of a fan he is of the Universal Monsters (plus, he doesn't look like Abe Sapien anyway given how much people have been saying to which I don't see the resemblance. Though if I wanted to compare the fishman from this movie to a comic book character, it'd have to be Triton from the Inhumans except that dude is green but even so). In fact, a particular shot from the ending pays homage to the Creature from the Black Lagoon in a way which, nice touch, Mr. del Toro.

Michael Shannon really delivered a threatening and intense performance as Richard Strickland, who ends up hunting and torturing the fish man as if he were the white whale from Moby Dick. However, I'd compare him to Captain Vidal from Pan's Labyrinth more given the two character represent the worst in humanity. What lengths they'd go to achieve their goal especially even if it means torturing or killing anyone in his way. Shannon delivers all those threatening elements in spades, never going over the top. The most intense scene from the film is when he's threatening Zelda, trying to get her to disclose the location of the fish man to him by telling the story of Samson and Delilah. The amount of conviction really sold me how much of a threat he can be.

Richard Jenkins and Octavia Spencer also delivered. Both characters they played are very sympathetic as well as the performances by the actors really shining through. Jenkins can be likeable and feel for him in a certain moment especially when it causes to turn around to save the fishman and Spencer has a lot of funny moments but that doesn't mean she's avoid of a poignant performance herself to which I point to a moment after Strickland threatens Zelda especially since it serves as additional contrast to the love between Elisa and the fishman.

del Toro's themes throughout most of his work are often about people being the worst kind of monster than what's considered to be a monster. With Pan's Labyrinth, despite the presence of the Pale Man, he's kind of nothing compared to the actions of Captain Vidal. The ghosts in Crimson Peak while scary, Lucille is more dangerous and conniving given she murdered the father of Edith. And in this film, Strickland, the military general and the Russians pretty much want the fishman dead. Neither want to connect with it, study it even, just all around kill the guy. And it's further emphasized in another scene where a diner owner shoos away a black couple and expresses homophobic views. It's very poignant given not much changed between then and now despite diners for example are not allowed to shoo away customers if they're black or gay.

And in contrast, the romance between Elisa and the fishman is very strong, basically saying love is love. And that struck a chord with me I admit.

del Toro and co-writer Vanessa Taylor really crafted a wonderful script that didn't feel very hackney or anything, it didn't go for the easy parts. It just went straight on with its story, it's metaphors and such. del Toro always knows how to get the right performances from his cast and even to the crew. He's very visual and knows how to insert in the right kind of emotions especially if he was going to press certain buttons for his audience to cry over as well as establishing characters. And it's visually striking too especially the underwater scenes where they resemble a painting that it's kind of no wonder one of them is used as the poster for the film.

Even the music, the music by Alexandre Desplat really fits whatever mood del Toro was going for rather than just fit the time period.

The Shape of Water had me in tears multiple times especially by the end of it. It is seriously among Guillermo del Toro's best work and I highly recommend it.

23. Fancyarcher

The Circle - Gets kinda interesting near the end with the theme of technology, but for the most part it's a bit of a bore. Also it's not as clever as thinks it is. - 4.5 / 10

24. hnming

hnming More Trophy Points Please

Freddy Got Fingered. And I am crying tears of pure joy.

25. Movie-Brat

Feel the need to eat sausages?

26. hnming

hnming More Trophy Points Please

I'm more impressed this was made by a big Hollywood studio.

27. Movie-Brat

Admittedly, I am curious what went on with the people at Fox at the time upon viewing the dailies.

28. Fancyarcher

Panic Room - 7 / 10

29. Fancyarcher

30. Fancyarcher

The Lives of Others - 8 / 10