TheHappySpaceman Oct 28, 2017
Another nice review. I have to admit that I haven't heard many of these songs before, but I still enjoy other people's takes about the music of a decade.

98, 95, and 94 are all classics.
Not the biggest Poison fan, but I do like "Nothin' but a Good Time" and I agree that hair metal gets too bad of a rap.
91 is a choice I am glad you listed; Gary Numan is one of my personal heroes due to him also being a musician who has autism.
Tracy Chapman and Billy Joel are both great. Same with Bruce Springsteen.
For Men at Work, I would have also listed "Overkill," but that's probably just me.
Agreed with all of your pics for Michael Jackson and Prince. R.I.P.
Pat Benatar is awesome! She's one of the artists who I hope to see live at some point in my lifetime.
Real quick analysis of "Shout" by Tears for Fears: I love how the song starts off quiet, with just percussion and keyboard bass, but then it grows louder as it goes on, adding synths, bass guitar, distorted guitars, heavier drums, background singers, sax, organ, and that kickass guitar solo. Though I have a soft spot for songs that start quiet and build up.
I'm with you on Cyndi Lauper. I get annoyed by "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," but I do like some of her songs, particularly "Time After Time." Fun fact about that song: It was co-written by Rob Hyman, keyboardist and co-lead vocalist of The Hooters, who did the songs "All You Zombies" and "And We Danced."
For the J. Geils Band, I personally prefer "Love Stinks" due to the overplay on "Centerfold," but it's good too.
No objections with 55-49. That's Eddie Van Halen himself playing keyboards on "Jump," by the way. I point this out because, probably due to him being such a great guitarist, his keyboard skills are often overlooked.
Oh man, Def Leppard! They're on of those bands that I feel like should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but for some reason aren't. And Rick Allen is friggin' amazing for continuing to drum after his accident.
35-33 are pretty good, though in my opinion, the best part of "Money for Nothing" is the buildup in its intro with the synths and drums.
Bon Jovi is awesome, and I've always liked Sade, even since I was a young child. And "Working for the Weekend" is great.
On 22: I'm surprised you didn't mention "I Don't Care Anymore" or "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins on this list. I would have put them there. But "Land of Confusion" is awesome, don't get me wrong. Have you heard the Disturbed cover?
About Eurythmics: Check out their album 1984 (For the Love of Big Brother). It was intended to be the soundtrack for the movie 1984, and did appear in some cuts of the movie, but the director didn't like their music and replaced it with a classical score. Still a good album.
Ah, Guns N' Roses. One of the greatest hair metal bands whose lead singer had a sadly career-killingly big ego.
Bruce Hornsby! I remember him! I actually first remember him as a member of the Grateful Dead from 1990 to 1992. (My parents are major Deadheads and raised me on their music.)
"Sledgehammer" is real good. I'm sure you knew this, but the video for Sledgehammer was directed by none other than Aardman Animations, of later Wallace and Gromit fame.
With 7, I don't have a problem with the song itself, but am I the only one who likes pineapple on pizza? I might be, LOL.
And 5-1 would have probably been the exact same on my own list.

Great choices. I personally would have added "Steppin' Out" by Joe Jackson, "Still of the Night" by Whitesnake, and... gah, I don't know. There are too many great songs of the '80s to choose from.

:naut
B-HOP and G1prime like this.