TheHappySpaceman Jan 28, 2018
Man, this is the first list where I have a few major disagreements! Namely calling Carly Simon the '70s Taylor Swift. While I can see where you're coming front in that both of them have written songs attacking ex-boyfriends, that's where the similarities stop for me. Whereas Taylor struggled with relevance and eventually dropped the whole country persona altogether in favor of... whatever the hell "Look What You Made Me Do" is, I don't recall Carly really going through such a drastic change. And "You're So Vain" is untouchable.

...Dammit, that's gonna be on an upcoming worst list, isn't it?

Anyway, here are my thoughts on Bread: If I wanted bands named after food, I would take Cream, thank you very much!

Aw, man! I like "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey." At least it's not "Wonderful Christmastime." Though I personally believe that John Lennon's solo career was much more mixed.

I think that "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" was supposed to be a persona song and wasn't based on songwriter Robbie Robertson's actual beliefs. For one thing, Robertson himself was half-Native and half-Jewish. Also, the original album it was from is often viewed as a concept album, with the songs focusing on the traditions and people associated with an older version of Americana. It was Robertson trying to understand the viewpoint of someone who was a polar opposite of him. I haven't heard Baez's cover and I can understand if you aren't a fan of it or can't sympathize, I'm just throwing out my analysis of the song.

Poor George. He's had so many better songs than this (see: "Here Comes the Sun" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"). Though let's be honest, every Beatle's solo career has had at least one song that isn't the greatest.

Holy crap, Donny Osmond was in Mulan? I totally forgot about that! Though I did know that he was also in the music video for "White and Nerdy" by "Weird Al" Yankovic:

Anyway, nice list regardless.

:naut
B-HOP likes this.