Color
Background color
Background image
Border Color
Font Type
Font Size
  1. Well, summer's finally here, but before I switch openings and consider taking some time off (not that you'd notice), it's about time for a Mid Year English Dub Review, wherein I evaluate the English versions of the anime I've covered thus far in 2017. Featuring the dubs of:

- Birth
    - Tank Police
    - The Gokusen
    - Tokyo Vice - The Tokyo
    - Gungrave
    - Babel II (OVA)
    - Captain Herlock (Harlock) Endless Odyssey
    - Tenchi Muyo OVA 2
    - Mobile Suit Gundam Movie III
    - Lupin III: Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure
    - Black Jack OVA (Eps 1-2)
    - Golgo 13: Queen Bee
    - Ninja Nonsense
    - Michiko and Hatchin

There's also some of my usual messing around with the sprites in an ever-building and unnecessary continuity in my videos! But come on, some of it's pretty neat. The five of you watching must be thrilled.

My Dailymotion page

My Vidme page

My DeviantArt page

My Patreon (please support my videos!)

My Ask.fm page (ask me questions!)

Like, Subscribe, Link, Share, etc.

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)

2. Sorry this is so late! I wanted this on YouTube, but it got flagged, and the flag is still there days after disputing it (it's Fair Use, FFS) so I had to upload it to my new VidMe account. Not being able to monetize this video is irritating after all the work I put into it.

But anyway...

Michiko & Hatchin is the story of an escaped convict, a put upon orphan, a corrupt cop with a crush, a violent psychopath, a deranged turncoat, and a missing lover and father. The chase is on in the fictional country of Diamandra (which is totally not Brazil), with Michiko determined to find Hiroshi, dragging his daughter Hana (Hatchin) along, and dogged Atsuko on their tail. Can they dodge the Monstro Preto gang and reach their goal? Not without a lot of (mis)adventures!

My Dailymotion page

My DeviantArt page

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)

3. Anime comedies are a strange beast. Not only can they be completely outside of Western cultural context, but oftentimes they're heavily rewritten by the dub studio the licensor employs for NA release. So, that in mind, how does an anime like Ninja Nonsense, which is fairly faithfully dubbed hold up in the humor department? I'll take a look at it in this video. Also, I guess there's some kind of flashback and an extra bit at the end. If Pen Pen is holding the camera, how is all that extra footage getting recorded? Hm.

My Dailymotion page

My Vidme page

My DeviantArt page

My Patreon (please support my videos!):

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)
  4. We come to the end of Dezaki Month in this episode with a review of Golgo 13: Queen Bee, Dezaki's second (and final) Golgo feature. From the greatest thief, to the greatest doctor, to the greatest assassin, we've sure had a journey, huh? Here we see the silent silencer take on a group of guerillas, a band of mercenaries, and corrupt politicians. Oh, and for some reason, everybody's banging in this. Expect to see Censor Penguin.

My Dailymotion page

My DeviantArt page

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)
  5. Dezaki Month continues with the first two episodes of an anime OVA that pits Tezuka's mysterious black-garbed unlicensed surgeon against a strange disease that dessicates and the latest drug epidemic: wacky cacty (cacti)! All the while he exposes a young girl made out of a teratoma to the gruesome disfigurements of his patients or keeps her trapped in a cabin. Huh, that really paints this as a different kind of anime, doesn't it? Black Jack isn't some creep, but that doesn't stop a wide range of ladies from throwing themselves at him. And he gives them the D... octoring.

My Dailymotion page

My Vimeo page

My DeviantArt page

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)
  6. It's the beginning of Dezaki Month here on Otaku Evolution! What happens when you pit the world's greatest thieves against the world's greatest (retired) secret agent and throw in some Neo-Nazi scum? You have canal chases, slide puzzle-traps, grabby tourist children, train and helicopter fights, jet packs, submarines, and dipictions of queerness of both the subtle and problematic! It's Dezaki's last Lupin effort, but is it any good? Find out in this episode of OE!

My Dailymotion page

My Vimeo page

My DeviantArt page

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)

7. Live (taped) from a secluded Antarctic base's officer's club, it's my review of the final movie in the original Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy! Featuring state-of-the-art animation techniques (lol) and all-star cast of nobodies! I talk a bit about Newtypes, call out Sayla Mass for her lack of awareness, show a mess of clips from the Gundam franchise, all of which I had to shorten frustratingly, and actually utilize more than two sound effects! So strap into your mobile suits and step onto the launch platform, it's time to finish off the One Year War!

My Dailymotion page

My Vimeo page

My DeviantArt page

Take a look at Lucky Squid Studios, creators of Fruitimals

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)
  8. Anime's favorite harem returns in six more episodes of Tenchi Muyo!, an OVA increasingly about one character (Washu), and also increasingly not about Tenchi whatsoever. There truly is no need for Tenchi when you've got the Greatest Scientific Genius in the Universe, a cute little bundle of trouble house guest, a hive mind creature, a robot clone, a octopus-bearded jerk, and a whole lot of inbred royalty! Oh, and I guess the boy in question occasionally does something.

My Dailymotion page

My Vimeo page

My DeviantArt page

Take a look at Lucky Squid Studios, creators of Fruitimals!

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)
  9. What do you get when you take the writer of Kino's Journey, the director of Metropolis, and the characters of Leiji Matsumoto? You get an honestly good Captain Herlock... er, Harlock series with only a few annoying eccentricities. Sounds like a low bar? Well, yeah, I guess if you judge it compared to Harlock Saga, it is, but it's actually just good on its own. Though I guess with it not being available, you may have to... pirate it.

My Dailymotion page

My Vimeo page

My DeviantArt page

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)
  10. [​IMG]
    Hi there, friends. Do you have too much cash crowding your wallet/bank account/mattress? Do you like snarky video reviews of Japanese cartoons by desperate shut-ins looking for validation? Are you looking to fund such creatures in their efforts to prove their skills in meager criticism have meaning? Well, good news! I have a Patreon! It’s super unsuccessful and is in need of YOUR money!

Yes, it’s the Otaku Evolution Patreon! Otaku Evolution is a series of anime reviews by myself, Penguin Truth, a 30 something who practically fetishizes 16-bit Mega Man-based custom sprites. Join me as I take a look at the anime we all love, hate, and love to hate (and titles that we almost certainly only remember in passing). You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, and that’s just while reading this plea for Patreon support!

You see, ladies and gentlemen, being a video reviewer on YouTube is only profitable if you have many viewers, and even then, the erosion of Fair Use has led to copious, unfair copyright flagging of videos that ought to be protected by law under a provision of parody or commentary. Because of this, I, like many reviewers, have been forced to farm out my financial future to you, the viewer, more directly, through crowdfunding.

But what, you say, do YOU get out of this? I’m glad you asked! There are rewards for being a suck—I mean, supporter of my series. Early episodes, a say in picking which anime I review, and even a chance to be pixelated right beside me are all incentives for acting on your obsession with YouTube shouty-men telling you how great it is they remember stuff like Cyber City Oedo 808!

Act now, and just for today (and every day), I’ll throw in your name in the credits! Yes, you, YOUR NAME, in the closing sequence of MY anime review videos! How can you pass that up? How can ANYONE?

So, please, consider falling for… I mean, consider supporting my anime review videos monetarily, the best kind of support! Come on, it takes weeks to do these damn things!

- Penguin Truth​

11. Based on a Mitsuteru Yokoyama manga, but not lucky enough to get adapted by Yasuhiro Imagawa, the four-part Babel II (that's Babel The Second) OVA has all the ass-pulling superpowers and sudden giant robot appearances you get from Giant Robo, but without the thematic or character-driven gravitas. Which means that while it is compellingly weird, it's a bit of a trifle. It was still fun to review, though!

My Dailymotion page

My Vimeo page

My DeviantArt page

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)
  12. A tale of mob crime, torn loyalties, bitter betrayals, and giant zombie monsters and the bullets that vanquish them, Gungrave is actually a video-game based anime and a work of Trigun creator Yasuhiro Nightow. After Trigun but before Blood Battle... Blockade Battlefront... you know, that show with the awesome premise that is hugely disappointing. I hope you enjoy my first 26 episode anime review in a while!

My Dailymotion page

My Vimeo page

My DeviantArt page

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)

13. The Tokyo Project is, well, mostly just like dozens of other 80s and early 90s anime OVAs with more action than personality, kind of just going through the motions for most of its hour run. At least, it is until that bizarrely scifi final act where the characters take on a walking tank! It'll have you screaming, "Snake? SNNNAAAAAAAAKE!"

My Dailymotion page

My Vimeo page

My DeviantArt page

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)
  14. The Gokusen is about Kumiko Yamaguchi, a new teacher at Shiroken Academy, a high school for troubled boys. Her class is full of delinquents and ne'er do wells, underachievers that can be violent, even bordering on psychotic. Boy are they in for a lesson, though, because teacher isn't some wilting flower, she's the ojou of a yakuza family, and she takes her job seriously, even if she isn't always! The question is, can she keep her students and the school staff from discovering her criminal background? Why does a yakuza princess even WANT to teach?

I'm joined by the eminent expert in these matters, Bancho Truth, as I examine this 13-part TV show that might make you hot for teacher.

My Dailymotion page

My Vimeo page

My DeviantArt page

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)
  15. In this episode, I take a look at the four part OVA, Dominion Tank Police, that features what seems like the inevitable future of American police militarization (Japan will just go the Patlabor route)! But is this send up of 80s hyper violence a social satire or just a parody that identifies with its captors? I hope to sparse the mixed messages from this old "classic" I first saw on Sci-Fi Channel's Saturday Anime block.

My Dailymotion page

My Vimeo page

My DeviantArt page

- Penguin Truth
    (2017)