Color
Background color
Background image
Border Color
Font Type
Font Size
  1. Sorry that I haven't done a blog for some time, but I've been busy with other things. Also, I couldn't think of anything that was worth blogging about...until now. For last Christmas, I got my hands on James Cameron's Titanic on Blu-Ray. I was recently watching the Titanic parodies that come with the bonus features of the Blu-Ray when a couple of light bulbs start going off in my head.
    While watching the 1998 MTV Movie Awards' skit where Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn pitch ideas for a Titanic 2, before that was a thing, to Director James Cameron, some of the ideas they were pitching reminded me of The Legend of the Titanic and its sequel, Tentacolino. These ideas included everyone surviving the Titanic, undersea community where the survivors live and an octopus garden. If you don't believe me, watch the beginning part of the skit. Tell me if don't conjure images of those 2 animated Titanic movies for those of you who have either seen those movies or have watched the Nostalgia Critic's reviews of them like I have.

I could not believe my ears when I heard these ideas and how they matched with some of the nonsense that took place in those films. And what makes this even more interesting, The Legend of the Titanic came out in 1999; that's one year after this skit.

Let me know what you think of this madness in the comments below.
  2. Today the world learned of the passing of actor Alan Rickman at the age of 69. Many will remember him for playing Professor Snape in the Harry Potter series or as Hans Gruber in Die Hard. For me, my first introduction to Alan Rickman was in a seemingly unknown movie, Quigley Down Under, with Rickman playing as the bad guy, Elliott Marston. I don't remember much of the movie as it has been a while since I've seen it. Most of what I do remember are the gunfights and the way Alan Rickman said "Quigley" with his accent.

Then, there was his roles in the Harry Potter movies. When you watch those movies, you don't see Rickman playing Snape. You actually see Snape on the screen. It has been stated that J.K. Rowling told Rickman about Snape's relationship with Harry's mother and of his love for her. And you can defiantly see that with his stares he gives Harry during the Sorting Hat scene in The Sorcerer's Stone or in the flashback scene in when Snape is talking with Dumbledore about Harry being one of Voldemort's Horcrux and how Harry had to die in order for Voldemort to finally be defeated.

Another role that comes to mind when I think about Rickman's work is his role as the evil Judge Turpin in Tim Burton's musical adaption of Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Not only did Rickman acted well in this movie, but he was a pretty good singer. I take that back, he's a damn good singer, especially when you consider that he did some sped singing and you still understand what he is saying. It must be hard to transition from singing to speaking dialogue in a split second, Rickman was able to pull it off with his duet with Johnny Depp of Pretty Women.

I know many of you are looking for me to talk about his role in Die Hard. There is one problem with that expectation: I haven't seen that movie. I want to see it, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Judging by certain clips I've seen on Youtube, I'm sure I'll enjoy Rickman's role in that movie as well.

Rest in Peace, Alan Rickman. You will not be forgotten.
  3. Before I start this review, I’m going to let you all know that I have no intention of spoiling the movie. The Internet has enough of those already. With that out of the way, let’s begin the review.

Before seeing this movie, I saw a spoiler-free review of the movie, done by Internet celebrity, Doug Walker, and his brother, Rob Walker. In the review, they stated that there was a lot of Episode IV: A New Hope in this movie. And I will admit that I did too, along with my dad, who went to see this movie with me. Despite that, I didn’t ruin the movie for me. I have two reasons for that.

First reason, in a documentary of the making of Episode I: The Phantom Menace, George Lucas compared Star Wars to poetry. As certain lines of poetry repeat themselves, so do certain events within the Star Wars series. Second reason, this movie actually makes fun of itself for repeating certain aspects of Episode IV. If a movie like Star Wars is willing to do that, it should definitely get a pass for story repeating.

Now, lets talk about the characters. To start things off, I’m not going to talk about Luke Skywalker in this movie. It will lead to a spoiler. As for Han Solo and Chewbacca, the magic is still there. Harrison Ford defiantly captures the character of Han Solo in this movie despite the fact he has been out of the role for past couple of decades. What’s great about Harrison’s acting is that you defiantly get the impress that Han has been through a lot between the events of Episode VI: Return of the Jedi and this movie. Also, with this movie, there will be no controversy of whether Han shots first. The banter between Han and Chewy is as great as ever and will give you a good laugh out of you, even during action sequences.

Then there is General Leia Organa, played by Carrie Fisher. Leia doesn’t appear that much in the first half of the movie. I don’t want to say too much because of spoilers. But I will say this; the chemistry between Leia and Han is still there. You feel that defiantly feel that these two had a great romantic relationship after Jedi until something torn them apart. On that note, C-3PO is still can’t read emotions going on between people.

Now, we get on to the new characters, starting with Finn. I like Finn journey in this movie. We seem him go from a stormtrooper for the First Order into being a hero. And it’s a very natural turn, unlike Anakin’s turn in Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

Then, there is Poe, who is the ace pilot for the Resistance. He’s not a cocky character, like we see in other movies about pilots. He is very caring, especially towards his droid. BB-08. He is very accepting of Finn’s turn from the First Order. These two work well together during certain situations. Although, the banter between these two do get a little annoying, but they don’t last long.

Then, we come to Rey, our heroine of this movie. Daisy Ridley is a great actress and she gave Rey a lot of depth. A lot of that depth comes from her facial expressions. You feel the emotions that she feels during certain scenes. For this being her first movie, Daisy Ridley did a fantastic job.

Let’s talk about the First Order, our new Empire. You definitely get Nazi influence with the First Order, more so then the Empire. There is one scene where it beats you over the head, but it’s just for one scene. I enjoy much of the technology the First Order is using. You can pick up how certain ships, weapons, and armor have evolved and yet still feel familiar. Of course, one can say the same with the Resistance. The best example I can think of at the moment is the TIE fighters. It’s appearance is like the TIE fighters from the original trilogy, but there is an add gun and gunner seat to for enemy fighters that are attacking from behind.

Then, we have Kylo Ren, our new villain for this trilogy. He is definitely an emotional villain when compared to the likes of Darth Vader and the other Sith from the previous movies. Kylo Ren even has doubts about whether or not he is worthy of upholding Vader’s legacy. He also throws a temper tantrum with his lightsaber when things don’t go his way. How many villains in movies throw a temper tantrum?

Speaking of Kylo Ren’s lightsaber, I think it’s awesome. With that said, we’ll talk about the lightsaber fights in this movie. It’s not the fancy jumping, spinning, and sword moves like we see in the prequels. There is a lot of hacking and slashing in terms of the lightsaber fighting. The fighting style is more like what you would see in The Lord of the Rings movies, which is very fitting given the events we learn about from this movie.

As for the effects, both practical and special, are top notch. A lot of the people complain that some of the digital characters didn’t fit to well with the movie, like Lord Snoke. For me, I think they worked out great. Sure you can still tell that they are digital, but you get drawn away by their personality. As for the practical, good god, they are well done, especially BB-08. You can tell what that little droid is thinking and feeling with just the slightest slide of its head. In all honest, you can forget that BB-08 is a practical effect and think of him as character, like R2-D2. To sum up the effect is that they work well together. Neither side of the effects was trying to overwhelm the other. Basically, when it comes to the effects, this movie has the balance that we wanted to see in the prequels.

The music in this movie is top notch too, which one would expect from the legendary John Williams. Sound effects: just as great, especially when it came to Kylo Ren’s lightsaber. When you hear those crackling sounds in the background, you know Kylo Ren is near and something bad is about to happen.

On the whole, I enjoyed this movie very much. Did it leave me with a lot of questions as to how things got to where they are in this movie? Hell, yes. But I’m not going cry over this movie not explaining everything or let it ruin my movie going experience. Why? Because I’m sure that Episode VIII and Episode IX, as well as the future Star Wars novels, will provide clarity to these questions. I enjoyed the action, which had me on the edge of my seat. I enjoyed the suspense. I laughed at a lot of the funny moments and the banter between characters. It was a fun ride from beginning to end. This is definitely one of those movies that you want to talk about to your friends and family, but you can’t because you’ll spoil the movie for them. A lesson my dad didn’t learn. Any movie that gives you that kind of feeling deserves 5 stars out of me. If you haven’t seen this movie yet, I suggest you buy a ticket from the closest movie theater that has it right now.
  4. Before I start with this little review, I want to state that I like Man of Steel. Now, I don't think its a great movie when compared to films like Miracle on 34th Street (1947) or The Lord of the Rings movies. And the film does have some flaws that a few rewrites and reshoots could fix. But I still enjoy the movie.

With that said, or typed in this case, let's talk about this trailer. And I'm going to say this right off the bat, no pun intend, that I don't think this trailer spoiled the movie. This trailer showed the viewers things that much of the internet has been speculating about this movie or that was already shown in the pervious trailers. Especially with Doomsday. When second trailer for this movie showed the body of General Zod, the internet was buzzing with the idea of Doomsday showing up in the movie.

All this trailer did was show us that Doomsday is in the movie and that Lex Luthor created. Speaking of Luthor, I'm kind of digging Jesse Eisenberg's approach to the character. It seems to me that he is portraying Luthor as wearing a public mask like Batman and Superman. In public, he acts like a little kid trying to grab as much attention for himself. In private, he is a scheming manipulator who isn't afraid to get the job done himself when things done go his way.

Another thing I like about this Luthor in this trailer: he adds humor. While the humor isn't on the level of the Marvel movies, it is still humor, which is in good in my opinion. I know DC is trying to make these new movies as serious as possible as a means to be different from Marvel. But without humor, you audience is going end in depression or not watch movie altogether.

Now that we've got the villains out of the way, lets talk about Batman and Superman. I like the fact that we're going to be getting a scene where we see these two going at each other in their Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent personas. It's not a fist fight, but more of a political fight. Clark doesn't like the fact the Batman is taking the law in his own hands, while Bruce counters that Superman is doing the same thing, but is more dangerous because he has the power to burn the entire world. And love the nod the Bruce gives to the Joker in this trailer when he says the words "freaks dressed like clowns," which is reinforced the appearance of the Robin suit.

Then, we get to the Affleck Batman voice. It's defiantly not Bale Batman voice. It deep enough that it can be distinguished from Affleck's normal voice, but you can understand what the hell he is saying. And it not always metallic like in the first trailer. I think that voice happens when Bruce is in the armor Batsuit, which makes sense.

All in all, I enjoyed this trailer and I'm looking forward to this movie. I don't feel that this trailer showed the entire movie for me. There is still a lot of questions about this movie that popped in my mind that this trailer didn't answer.
  5. There will be some Spoilers ahead.

Just to get this out of the way, I’m not the big of fan when it comes to movies or shows that contain elements of horror. But that doesn’t stop me from checking out said movies or shows if they catch my curiosity. That was the case with Attack on Titan. I saw clips of the anime on Youtube, which got my interest so much that I decided to check out the manga that the anime was based on. What can I say? I didn’t want to wait a couple of years for season 2 to come out.

Anyway, I enjoyed the ongoing manga. So, when I saw trailers for a live action movie, I got interested. And the trailers showed the movie had great promise. Of course, so did the trailers for X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

I found an English subtitled version of the movie online and decided to check it out. And…it took a lot of liberties from the original source material in terms of story and character arcs. However, It’s a hell of a lot better then Dragonball: Evolution.

The movie starts out similar to the manga. One day, giant human-like creatures called Titans appear out of nowhere and start eating people. What is left of humanity takes refuge inside the Walls. For the next 100 years, what remains of humanity lives in peace. Then, an unknown type of Titan, known as the Colossal Titan, breaks into the first of 3 Walls, thus, reminding humanity the horror that Titans can bring. Our main hero, Eren Yeager, and his friends join the military to help humanity reclaim what the Titans have taken and, one day, see what it beyond the Walls.

After that, we get into changes that were made with the film. For one, Eren’s mother isn’t in the movie. Apparently, Eren’s parents died off screen before the events of the movie. Wait a minute! If Eren’s mother isn’t in the movie, what’s going to be his motivation to join the military? Apparently, through some clever editing, we, the viewer, see that the smiling Titan, the one that killed Eren’s mother in the manga and anime, is going to make Mikasa and a baby it’s next meal. We cut away from the doomed Mikasa to Eren is being hold back by the town’s people from who are trying to hide from the Titans. He assumes that Mikasa is dead and there is some blood on the muddy ground does suggest that it happened. But later on in the movie, we see that Mikasa is alive and the great Titan killer that she is in the manga.

Another change in the movie was Mikasa’s personality. While she was emotional withdrawn and serious, she cared about Eren and their friend, Armin. That’s not the case here with the movie version. She acts very cold to Eren, which is not surprising given the fact that we learn that the smiling Titan took a chunk out of her stomach. So sorry to all the male fans of the anime and manga, but movie Mikasa doesn’t have the abs.

Another problem that I have with the movie version of Mikasa is that when she learned that a Titan eats Eren, she shows no emotion. If this were manga or anime Mikasa, tears would form in her eyes, she would get pissed off and go on Titan killing spree. Even after founding out Eren is alive and can turn into a Titan, she still shows no emotions. Movie Mikasa is worse then Princess Leia in a deleted scene of A New Hope after Alderaan blew up.

The biggest change is that the movie version created a new character called Shikishima, who is suppose to be a substitute for Levi, one of the badass characters from the original source material. I believe that only reason this character was made was to add a love triangle between him, Mikasa, and Eren, which is really stupid. In manga and anime, Mikasa had her heart set on Eren long before the start of the story. And none of the chapters I’ve read show that neither Mikasa nor Eren are interested in any other character.

As for the other characters in the movie, including Armin are pretty forgettable with one exception. The character of Zoe Hange was captured almost beautifully in this movie by actress Satomi Ishihara, from her knowledge on Titans to her need to her obsession with them. At the scene when Eren, as the Rogue Titan, battles the Titans, she is having the freaking ball with what is happening. And yes, I said “her.” Hange is female in this movie version as Hange was a female in the anime.

Now, let’s talk about the special effects of this movie. They are amazing, especially when it came to the Titans. The best way to describe the Titans in this movie is this: They’re creepy as f***. I know that all the Titans, with exception of Colossal Titan, which I’ll get to later, are people with special make and body suits to give them the disfigured look that most of the Titans have, but they’re still creepy. The creepiness of the Titans is goes further with the addition of laughing and eating moans, which is something wasn’t in the anime. This was one of the changes that I didn’t mind.

Now, lets get to the Colossal Titan, possible one of the most famous Titan in the series. To tell you the truth, I wished we could’ve seen more of the Colossal Titan, especially when you see him kicking a hole into the first wall. I say that because, in some shots, it looked like the Colossal Titan was humping the Wall. That is the best way to describe that. Given the Colossal Titan’s body type, it would’ve been easy for the people who did the Titans to make a body suit for Colossal Titan. I’m sure they had their reason for not doing that, probably related to budget, but I think that change would’ve made the scene as epic as it was in the anime.

Now, lets talk about the 3D maneuvering gear action, which are very accurate to original source material, with the exception of 6 extra blades. It’s not as epic as it was in the anime. What makes it worse, in my opinion, is that there are only 2 people in this movie that knows how to use them right. I’m, of course, talking about Mikasa and this Levi substitute. Eren does ok, but he gets his leg bit off. As for everyone else, they just run for the hills with this gear at the ready to be used. And what makes it worse, Hange is in the same boat. There isn’t a scene in this movie that shows her taking out a Titan, at least from I saw. But, hey, who need gear when you have…an RPG?

Yeah, apparently in this version of the story, humanity has access to explosives. They also have broken down helicopters. Wait, if they have broken down helicopters, that means there are fighter planes out there. If there are fighter planes out there, why waste time with 3D gear. All you need a missile and a clear shot at the nape of the Titan’s neck. Even if you don’t have missiles, the planes would great distractions for people on the ground to their 3D gear or tank missiles. I guess this is one of those cases where I need one of the Nostalgia Critic’s “F***ital” pill.

Despite much of my complaining about this movie, I still think Attack on Titan is a better adaption movie of manga/anime. In many cases, the film does bring in a lot of the elements, characters, and storyline from the original source material. But what stops it from being great movie is the changes that were made and leaving out a lot of the characteristics of a lot of the characters in this movie, especially with Armin. He has little to no character. It feels like they just slapped him in the movie. Armin doesn’t deserve that. I mean, this is the guy who figured out the human identity of the Female Titan for Pete’s sake.

There are going to be a lot things that purest of Attack on Titan will not like. But, I still think that people should check it out. Whether, you are a fan of anime, horror, or Attack on Titan in general, you should at least see it once and judge the film for yourself. I give this movie 3 out of 5. Now, I’m curious if Attack on Titan: End of the World will be any good. I guess only time will tell.

Update: After looking at movie again and rereading the manga, I have changed my opinion of movie. I still feel that it's better than Dragon Ball: Evolution. But in terms of a adaptation, it sucks. In my opinion, this on live-action movie series that needs a major reboot.
  6. Today, the world learned about the passing of one of the greatest actors of all time, Sir Christopher Lee. Sir Christopher Lee was a man of great talent, ranging beyond just acting in films or television shows. He also was a singing, working in a a lot of operas and metal bands. He was even awarded the "Spirit of Metal" award in the 2010 Metal Hammer Golden God award ceremony. He even did voice work for audiobooks, including J.R.R. Tolkien's Children of Hurin novel, which I still need to listen to.

But, many will known Christopher Lee for his work in movies, especially his role as Dracula in the classic Hammer Horror movies. To be honest with you all, I haven't seem any of them. But if I give Svengoolie enough time, I'm sure that I will.

I was exposed to Christopher Lee's work at an early age and I had no idea who he was at the time. The first movie that I ever saw that Christopher Lee acted in was Return from Witch Mountain when he played as Dr. Victor Gannon. I wish could say more about the movie, but it has been a while since I've seen it. I remained oblivious to the actor's identity until The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones was out on DVD and I began watching a lot of the behind the scene material for those movies.

And I will say the Christopher Lee's portrayal as Saruman the White is unbelievable. When Lee is in this role, you don't see the actor anywhere. You just see Saruman in all of his glory. Even in the Hobbit Trilogy, you still don't see Christopher Lee anywhere.

Then, there his role as Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus in the last two Star Wars prequels. Saw what you will about the prequels, I see Christopher Lee's performance in those movies as one of the trilogy's good points. He isn't speaking in a monotone voice, like the others. His dialogue isn't as lame as the others. It's a shame the his role in those movies weren't extended, especially in Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Christopher Lee could have easily fill up the role by General Grevious. With that being said, I'm glad he came back to voice Dooku in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars movie. It's a shame he couldn't do the show for the whole run.

Then, there were Tim Burton's movies. He has played in a lot of them, starting of Sleepy Hallow, which some internet critics, like the Nostalgia Critic, see it as pay an homage to the classic Hammer Horror movies. Out of Christopher Lee's appearances in Tim Burton's movies, I like his role as Willy Wonka's dad in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the best. Mostly because Christopher Lee was in the movie more, unlike his other appearance in Tim Burton's movies. Plus, Lee captured the nature of a parent whose child went on different path then the path then the one that the parent had placed in front of him and got into a big fight over it. And yet, despite the big fight, the parent still thinks about and cares for said child event after several years.

I know that many people will remember Christopher Lee other roles, whether its the Hammer Horror movies or The Wicker Man (original) or some other film that doesn't get a lot of press. For me, this showed the great acting range that Christopher Lee had. He has done some many great works that not everyone has the same favorite. When people say that "there will be no other actor like him or her," you can definitely put that label on Sir Christopher Lee.
  7. Apologies to all for those who were expecting a video review. I couldn't find the time to do it.

Ep 47 & 48 Review.jpg

47. Yuri of Cold Smile
    48. The Wounded Falcon

Episode 47 picks up where 46 left off. Yuzu and Selena have gone their separate ways. Yuri has arrived to take Yuzu away and Dennis leads Yuri right to here. Damn it, Dennis. But there are some obstacles in Yuri’s path. First, there is Olga and Halil, but he deals with in like a few seconds. Then, there are the final 3 Obelisk Force guys who are after Yuzu. Yuri appears before them and threatens to turn them into cards if they get in this way.

88602567.jpg

You took the words right out of my mouth. And, to prove his point, Yuri presents the cards of Olga and Halil. This horrifies Yuzu. Yuri tries to convince Yuzu to come with him and meet the Professor. But Yuzu doesn’t go along with it, especially after he threatens to turn her into a card. We learn that Yuri was the one who kidnapped Ruri, Shun’s sister, and a girl named Rin, who probably from the Synchro Dimensiom. Yuri forces Yuzu into a duel. I don’t think things will go well for Miss Yuzu. As that is going, Yugo runs into the duel between the Obelisk Force and the Top 8 Youth duelist and the latter is going wiped out. Then, Yugo has a flashback and we see that the Synchro Dimension might be going through the same shit as the Xyz Dimension. Yugo interferes in the duel, which piss off the Obelisk Force. After getting pissed off that the Obelisk Force is getting his name wrong, Yugo goes…I’ll just show you what he does.

Declan views this action and he realizes that the Synchro Dimension isn’t the enemy. No shit. I figured that out 10 episodes ago. He is also shocked at the fact that there is a Synchro Dragon. After that, we learn why Declan is working is so hard to from a Lancer team. Since the introduction of Pendulum Summoning, duelists of Yuya’s generation have the power to compete with duelist from other dimensions, while older generations can’t, with the exception of Declan. Shingo shows up and asks what the hell is going on. Declan decides to use this to his advantage.

Meanwhile, Yuya comes to terms with the fact that Yuto is inside of him and decides to do his best to fulfill his promise to Yuto. After a hearty breakfast, Yuya and the other split up to deal with what remains of the Obelisk Force. As that is going on, Yuzu finds herself out matched by Yuri and his Fusion Dragon. He has her cornered, until Yuzu’s bracelet starts glowing, causing Yuri to disappear. At first, she thinks Yuya showed up. But it’s Yugo.

Yugo see Yuzu and mistakes her for Rin. He also hugs her. Mieru see this and thinks that Yuzu is being a two-timer. She gets so pissed that she slips and knocks herself unconscious. Dennis finds Yuya and Gong and leds them to where he last saw Yuzu. Yuya arrives at the area where Yuzu and Yugo are. This causes Yuzu’s bracelet starts glowing, causing Yugo and Yuzu to disappear. With Yuzu out of sight, Dennis thinks Yuri had finished his mission and sets his sights on setting a trap for Yuya. Damn it, Dennis. Then, we cut to Sora and Shun, who are still dueling. Ok, I’m going on a little rant here. Duels don’t last that long. One of those two had to deck out at some point in all those hours. Anyway, Selena arrives as Sora Fusion Summons Frightfur Tiger and whips out Shun’s monsters and wins the duel. It’s really brutal as the shock wave of the attack sends Shun flying. He lands right on the stairs and rolls down to the ground. This shocks the living hell out of Selena.

Episode 48 picks up where 47 left off and Selena runs to Shun’s aid. Sora mistakes Selena for Yuzu until Selena activates her duel disk. She uses a spell card to help her and Shun escape into the volcano area. Sora manages follow them into the volcano part of the city. Then, those two ninja duelist, who some reviews think there from Naruto or based on Naruto. I really don’t see it. Anyway, they show up. The red ninja duelist Sora, while the blue one helps Selena and Shun escape. It turns out these ninjas from the Fuuma clan are working for Declan, who plans on using Selena as a bargaining chip. Gong and Yuya continue their search for Yuzu. Mitchie and Teppei find Mieru in the ice field. Dennis leads the 3 remaining Obelisk Force guys right to Selena, Shun, and blue Fuuma ninja. Damn it, Dennis.

The Obelisk Force guys duel Selena, Shun, and Blue ninja. The Blue ninja uses a series of cards, mostly traps to prevent the Obelisk Force’s predictable plays. I’m serious. These guys are not that impressive. They give Obelisk the Tormentor a bad name.

Selena tries to fight back, but the Obelisk Force guys have cards that counter her deck. Just then, Mitchie and Teppei enter the duel, after getting 2000 LP penalty. They manage pull off a combo that actually leaves those Obelisk Force guys with 2000 LP each. Meanwhile, Yuya and Gong arrive at the Volcano area as these duels are going on. Yuya tries to get Sora to stop dueling like an asshole, but Sora isn’t listening worth a hill of beans.

The Obelisk Force makes a comeback with a series of Traps that whip out Mitchie and Teppei. They are later turned into cards. This causes Yuya to go berserker. Then, the Obelisk Force guys set their sights on blue ninja, when, and I’m serious here, Shingo arrives and saves the day. Sora does that same thing to the red ninja. Gong leaves to help fight the Obelisk Force. Yuya appears before Sora. Then, much to everyone’s surprise including myself, Yuya manages to come out of his berserker mode and challenges Sora to a duel. Sora accepts and they move to an area away from the other duel. And that’s where that episode ends.

And that’s it for these two episodes. There are a lot of surprises in these two episodes. We learn that Yuzu’s bracelet doesn’t just work when Yuya and his counterparts are near one place. It turns out that the effects o Yuzu’s bracelet works when the other Yuya counterparts are near each other. Which was a damn good thing too given the way this were going with Yuri. I was very surprised that Yuzu end up disappearing along with Yugo. I wonder where they went. I can’t wait to see what Dennis’ reaction to Yuri’s failure will be. He isn’t going to be happy about it.

We also got to the Fusion Dragon, Yuri’s ace monster. Sure it was a silhouette form, but it was nice to see it and start wondering what it’s going to look like when it’s true form is revealed. I’m surprised there isn’t any fan art out there to see what it might look like.

I’m sorry I couldn’t make a video about these two episodes. I’ll try to make one for my review of episode 49 through 51. Be prepared to see a lot of rematch duels. Until then, check out these episodes for yourself and I’ll see you next week.
  8. I know it's a day early then when I original post my Yu-Gi-Oh! blogs. But, I won't lose sleep over it. Today, I presenting my video review of Episode 44, 45, and 46 of Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V. I included a couple of clips into this review from the anime, as well as a couple of from the Nostalgia Critic. I hope you all like it.

9. Here is my video review of Episode 42 and 43 of Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V. Please enjoy and let me know if there are any means that could help improve my video.

10. Here is my first ever video review. In this video, I talk about episode 40 and 41 of Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V. I do stumble, mess-up names and do a little swearing in the video. But I'm proud with what I've done. If you have any comments of how to improve my video, let me know in the comments. Thanks for watching.

11. Since this week has become TMNT week for the internet, I thought I would do my own review of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) movie.

I decided to watch movie the day before the crossover review of the movie done by the Nostalgia Critic and The Angry Video Game Nerd. I've been a big fan of the Ninja Turtles for as long as I can remember. I watched the first 3 movies on VHS as kid. I was a big fan of the TMNT 2003 cartoon series. And I was very excited about the this movie coming out. However, due to moving to a another state, I had to wait until it was online before watching it.

In my opinion, I don't think its that bad of a movie. But, I'm not to fond of some of the changes that were made to the movie. The best example would be when Master Splinter teaches the Turtles the art of ninja from a book. That is dumb. Why couldn't Splinter and the Turtles come under the care of an elder Harmato Yoshi, who not only knew ninjutsu, but also owned a pizza joint that is close to a sewer line. It would explain how they knew ninjutsu a lot better. And it would also explain where they got all that pizza.

Now, there are some changes that do work in the movie. I like the fact that backstory that is given to April O'Neil and the connection she had with the turtles and Splinter before they mutated. Speaking of April, Megan Fox isn't bad in the role and is given a little bit of a personality in this movie, despite the fact that this movie was produced by Michael Bay. I also like that fact that writers of the movie blended that 80s take on April with some modern incarnations of the character. She still needs to be rescued now and then by the Turtles, but, if the challenge arises, she will kick your ass. I hope that trend continues in the second movie, with April learning ninjutsu from Splinter, like in the 2003 series.

Let's get to the design of Splinter and Turtles. To be honest with you all, I like the designs. Yes, it's different from other incarnations we see in movies and TV shows. But the designs help differentiate each Turtle then what was done in the past and reflect the Turtles personalities. Besides, it kind of hard to forget that Raphael has his shell patched together with duct tape. As for the faces, I will admit that sure it looks creepy and don't have the big noses like in the movies or the TV shows. Leonardo seems to be the only Turtle in the movie that comes close to the big nose design, but it still looks natural.

I'm sure many would want to know my opinion about whether or not if the CGI on the Turtles is good. And I will say yes. It's damn good. The skin texture on the Turtles is amazing. It looks so real that it could be mistaken for being a body suit done by the people who made the Orc costumes for The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies.

Let's talk about Splinter's design. It's definitely different from past Splinters. But I have no issues with it. I like the fact that Splinter was given an old kung fu master design that one might see in a Kung Fu movie. It's very fitting. Why didn't the other movies and shows come up with this idea?

Let's take about the Shredder. I like his armor design. It kind of reminds me of armor that the Shredder wore in 2003 TMNT series. It's a shame the William Fichtner couldn't remain as the Shredder for the movie because he does a good job as the bad guy. In my opinion, they should've kept that change. I mean, J.J. Abrams kept Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan despite the fact everyone knew about that twist.

As for the action, it is amazing. It's fun and energetic. Plus, we finally got to see the Shedder fight Master Splinter on the silver screen. That is fucking badass, especially after the let down at the end of the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies. And it not over blown by a bunch of explosions like in the Transformers series.

As for the plot of the movie, its actually pretty good, despite some of the bad changes. I like that the Foot Clan is treated as a more serious threat in this movie, rather then just a bunch of kids dressed as ninjas. I show also note that the Foot Clan do have a good plan to rise to power. So, :thumbsup on that.

Now, there are some things to complain about. There are some characters in this movie that you really don't give a crap about or don't add to plot. April's co-worker, aka place holder for Casey Jones, is a prime example of this movie. You really don't give two hoots about him and you kind of pray that he dies. He just makes lame jokes, says things that don't make sense, and tries to get into April's pants. Now, I'm not bashing Will Arnett. I'm sure he tried his best with the script he was given. But this character sucks. I'm so glad that Casey will be in the second movie and is being played by Stephen Amell. :)

This isn't bad movie. It has a lot of hits and misses. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying. And, let's face it, it would've been a hell of a lot worse. A LOT worse. I give this movie 3 stars out of 5.
  12. All righty then. It's Yu-Gi-Oh! thursday. Time to review Episode 38 and 39 of Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V.

38. The Four Dimensions
    39: Awakening of the Imperial Wrath

There isn’t really much to talk about in Episode 38. There are some duels here and there, but they’re just glimpses here and there. Mostly the episode focuses on the aftermath of the last 3 episodes. Yuya finally wakes up after 2 days of being knocked out and Yuzu fills Yuya in on what’s been happening in the tournament. Declan’s little brother, Reira, has been moping the floor out the younger students of You Show Dueling School, this time using Synchro summoning. A duelist that uses an OTK, One Turn Kill, beats Mieru Hochun, the fortuneteller the Yuya beat in episode 23. Yuya fills Yuzu in on what Yuto told him about 4 dimensions and the war going on between Fusion and Xyz. Yuzu finds out that Yuya now holds Yuto’s Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon card. Yuzu reveals the Shun’s sister, Ruri, is her Xyz counterpart. Speaking of which, back at Academia in the Fusion Dimension, Sora is yelling at the top of his lungs to be sent back the Standard Dimension in order to fight Shun. A person who looks like Yuzu listens in and goes to the Standard Dimension. Yuya and Yuzu try to talk to Shun about the situation, but Shun is busy trying to figure out what happened to Yuto from Declan. Declan, meanwhile, is scanning Yuto’s duel disk. At the end of the episode, Yuya finds out that his next opponent is Isao Kachidoki of Ryozanpaku School and he doesn’t play nice with others.

Episode 39 focuses on Yuya’s duel with Isao Kachidoki. Throughout the duel, Yuya is playing in his usual style and manages to call out his Beast-Eyes Pendulum Dragon. There is just one little problem: Yuya is up against Isao Kachidoki. Isao Kachidoki style is beating the crap out of his opponent to prevent from getting Action cards. He pushes Yuya to brink of defeat by taking out Beast-Eyes Pendulum Dragon with his Idaten, the Star of Supreme Victory. Then, something odd happens inside Yuya as his soul and that of Yuto’s merge together. This causes Yuya to enter his berserker mode. He then summons Yuto’s Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon. This shocks everyone, especially Shun, who wonders why Yuya has that card. Meanwhile, Declan figures that Yuya had the card. Yuya uses Xyz Dragon’s power to weaken Idaten and raise Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon’s ATK to 5200 and goes on the attack. Isao tries to use Idaten effect to weaken Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon, but Idaten’s ability works on monsters that have Levels. And Xyz monsters don't have Levels. This leads to Yuya’s victory. Yuya comes out of his berserker mode and tries to help Isao, but Isao smacks away Yuya’s offer.

And that’s it for those two episodes. A couple of interesting episodes we have. Episode 38 was a nice breather episode from all the stuff that happened in the last 3 episodes. Only to be thrown back into the crazy in episode 39. Seeing Yuya go nuts like that was unexpected to say the least and it kind of reminded me of when Goku transformed into a Super Saiyan for the first time. As we finally understand why there are schools for a card game, as Isao knew nothing about Xyz monsters. Of course, it is only taught at LDS and the Xyz Dimension. Now, I’m starting to wonder if Isao is going to comeback at some point using the Fire Fist archetype as they fit with the theme of the Ryozanpaku School that Isao attends. Plus, they are an archetype that uses Xyz monsters. Next week, we learn more about Academia. I'll trying to due a video review for that.
  13. Now we take at look at Episode 35 through 37: the aftermath of Shun and Sora's duel.

35: The Academia and The Resistance
    36. The Resonating Dragons
    37: The Destiny that Starts Moving

Episode 35 starts off with Sora recovering from his duel with Shun. Meanwhile, Yuya, Yuzu and Gong are trying to figure out as to what the hell is going on here, from Masumi Kotsu thinking that Shun is an ally to not knowing where Sora came from to war between Fusion users and Xyz users. Yuzu finally reveals the existence of Yuto to the Yuya and Gong and Shun and Yuto’s mission to get their comrades back. Speaking of Yuto, he pays Sora a visit. At first, Sora thinks that Yuto is Yuya, but Yuto corrects him. Yuto asks what Sora and his group has done to his comrades, including Shun’s sister, but Sora is more interested in dueling Shun again. They get interrupted by LDS guards and force them on the run. Yuya, Yuzu and Gong catch wind of the escape and search for Sora, going in separate directions. Sora and Yuto meet at the park area. Sora orders Yuto get Shun out to him. But Yuto ends up dueling Sora. The two go back and forth, exchanging blows. Then Yuya shows up as Yuto Xyz Summons his Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon and wipes out Sora’s Frightfur Bear. Yuya tries to get Sora to stop dueling, but Sora won’t listen. Yuya decides to get involved in the duel, as he wants to protect his friend, Sora.

Episode 36 continues where episode 35 left off. Yuya gets involved in the duel and goes for a Pendulum Summoning on his first turn, bring out his Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon. Just then, both Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon and Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon start glowing and causing their owners chest pains. At least, that’s what I think. Yuya orders Odd-Eyes to attack Dark Rebellion, which would end in both of their destruction. Declan, who is watching the duel by a security camera, think this is a smart move as Odd-Eyes is a Pendulum Monster and will go to Extra Deck to be brought back out later. Yuto activates a trap the cancels Yuya’s attack, which pisses off Sora more as Yuto could’ve used the card earlier to save one of Yuto’s monsters. Yuya use’s Timegazer’s Pendulum effect to negate the trap, but Yuto has another trap that copies a set trap he controls. Sora starts ripping Yuya a new one and claims Yuto as his prey. This leads Yuya to ask Yuto what the hell is going on. Sora claims the Yuto is part of remnants of group of losers from the Xyz Dimension, which Yuto protests. Sora starts his turn and goes for a Fusion Summon, but he is forced back to the Fusion Dimension and Academia. Yuya and Yuto decide to end their duel and talk about the situation between the Academia and the Xyz Dimension. The leader of the Academia decides to investigate Sora’s mind to figure out what happened. Just then, a duelist on a motorcycle shows up out of nowhere and he looks like Yuya.

Episode 37 starts of with our motorcycle duelist, who goes by the name of Yugo, challenging Yuto to a duel. Yuto accepts, thinking the Yugo is a pawn for the Fusion Dimension. Yuya is surprised the Yugo’s motorcycle works as a duel disk as Yugo goes for a Synchro Summon of his Hyperspeedroid Dahma. Yuya calls out his Xyz monster, The Phantom Knight of Break Sword and takes out Dahma. Yugo brings back Dahma and tries to wipe out Break Sword. Yuya tries to help Yuto, but he stops Yuya. Yuto wipes out Dahma with Break Sword. On Yugo’s turn, he Synchro Summons his Clear Wing Synchro Dragon and wipes out Break Sword. Thanks to Break Sword’s effect, Yuto get two monsters back on his field. Yuto calls out his Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon. Just then, both Yuto and Yugo’s eyes start glowing and start thinking about destroying everything in their path. Yuya manages to kick Yuto out of this state. However, Yugo is still goes on with the duel and powers up his Clear Wing Synchro Dragon to 4500, which gives him the win. Yuto save Yuya from the shockwave and is injured. A strange light engulfs Yuya and Yuto and Yuto gives Yuya his Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon. Then, Yuzu appears and Yugo and Yuto disappear. She finds Yuya as he falls unconscious. Then, Declan’s bodyguard shows up later to pick up Yuto’s duel disk. Back in the Fusion Dimension, the Professor of Academia orders Yuri, the Fusion counterpart to Yuya, to go after Yuzu and bring her to the Fusion Dimension.

That’s it for those there episodes. And we finally get some freakin’ answer. The twist with the dimensions what something that I never thought of and explains why no one knows about this war between the Fusion and Xyz. Although, it’s not explained how Declan knows about it or how it’s linked to his father. But, the writers saved that for a future episode.

We finally get Yuya and Yuto together, which many viewers of this series were expecting. Although, I was hoping that maybe they would get more screen time to the point where Yuto teaches Yuya the art of Xyz summoning. But that is going to happen. One of things I was disappointed at was that Yuya’s Pendulum Summoning didn’t shock Yuto, consider that it was Yuto’s first time seeing this type of summoning. Of course, Yuya’s Pendulum Summoning didn’t surprise Shun during Yuya’s duel with Shingo.

We also get to meet the other counterparts of Yuya: Yugo and Yuri. Speaking of Yugo, I’m not sure if he is working with the Fusion Dimension as Shun and Yuto think he is. Apparently, Yugo’s name is a pun in Japanese, as his name sounds similar to Yūgō, which means Fusion. So, when Yuto calls Yugo a pawn of Fusion, Yugo thinks that Yuto is getting his name wrong. Then, there is Yugo’s ace monster, Clear Wing Synchro Dragon. It is by far the most badass Level 7 Synchro monster I have ever seen, whether its anime or in the real life card game.

I also like that what these episode answer some questions about the plot of this series, it gave us new questions. Why was Sora sent to the Standard Dimension if the leader of Academia didn’t see that dimension as an enemy? Why is Academia after Yuzu? Is the Synchro Dimension ally to the Academia or a possible enemy for Academia? Only time will tell. Next week, we look at episode 38 and 39.
  14. All right. Today, we look at episode 33 and 34, the Sora and Shun duel.

33. Future Metropolis Heartland
    34: The Merged Demonic-Beast VS The Evolving Falcon

Episode 33 begins Sora getting the crowd railed up for his duel with Shun, but Shun is being a downer about it. He just wants to get it over with. We also learn the Declan had made a Pendulum card for Shun to use, but Shun turned it down. But Declan isn’t upset by it, as he wants to see Declan to true abilities as a Xyz user. Sora and Shun get an Action Field called Heartland, which looks exactly like the city from Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. This pisses off Shun.

The duel starts with Sora summoning his cute Fluffal monsters, a bear and 2 sheep, which please the little kids in the crowd. Shun starts talking about the conflict that took place at his hometown, which leaves everyone confused, except for Declan. Shun calls out 2 of his Raidraptor – Vanishing Lanius cards and take out Fluffal Bear.

Sora brings out Frightfur Bear and takes one Vanishing Lanius and tries to use Bear’s effect to equip the destroyed Lanius, but Shun counters it with a trap. On Shun’s next turn, he Xyz summons his Raidraptor – Rise Falcon and uses it ability to power up and destroy all of Sora’s special summoned monsters. This attack causes something in Sora’s mind to snap. This ends episode 33.

Episode 34 picks up where 34 left off. Sora goes for another Fusion Summon. This time, he calls out Frightfur Leo. Sora tries to destroy Shun’s Rise Falcon with Leo’s effect, but Shun saves it with an Action Spell Card. Then, he tries to attack Rise Falcon, but Shun saves it with a trap card. This pisses Sora off.

On Shun’s next turn, he uses Rise Falcon’s ability, powering it up to take out Leo, which is successful. Sora fusion summons Frightfur Sheep and manages to destroy Rise Falcon with it. However, Shun surprises everyone, including Declan, when he activates Rank-Up-Magic Raptor’s Force and ranks up his Rise Falcon into Raidraptor – Blaze Falcon. On Shun’s next turn, he tries to destroy Sheep using Blaze Falcon’s effect, but Sora stops it with a trap card and turns the action field into a war zone. Blaze Falcon attacks Sora directly using its other ability, which triggers another effect that wipes Sheep out.

After that, Sora shows that he is more twisted then we realize, seeing Shun as his prey. He then calls out his Frightfur Chimaera and take out Blaze Falcon and brings it back to Sora’s side of the field. Shun uses to his advantage with a spell called Rank-Up-Magic Revolution Force. He takes back control of Blaze Falcon and ranks it up to Raidraptor – Revolution Force. He uses its ability to whip out Chimaera and inflicts damage equal to half of Chimaera’s ATK, which is 2800. Sora tries to use an Action Spell card to save him, but a building falls on him. Don’t worry. Sora will live. Shun wins and tries to turn Sora into a card, but Declan stops him in the hope of learning about something called Academia. Sora tries to have a rematch with Shun, but Shun walks off. Sora passes out.

And that’s it for those two episodes. Many reviewers of these episodes say that this was the best duel of the ARC-V series and I agree with them. You had no idea where it was going. You had no idea who was going to win. I like the fact that we incorporated some more of a real life aspect in this duel. In the actual Yu-Gi-Oh card game, there is always that one player who has all the answers to every play that you make, which pisses off a lot of other players, like how Sora got pissed off. Speaking of Sora, holy shit, did he make a turn to the dark side. Many people figured that Sora might be a possible bad guy and this episode might as well just confirm it. And it was hinted at with the deck he plays, which I mentioned earlier in a blog where Sora dueled Yuya. Then, another surprise for these episodes was the return of Rank-Up-Magic cards, which many, including myself, didn’t think we would see again after the mess that was Zexal. Of course, many have said that season 2 of Zexal was more popular then season 1. So, that may have helped with the return of the Rank-Up-Magic cards. These two episodes were a great set of episodes in my opinion. Next week, we learn more about this dueling war between Fusion and Xyz and Yuya and Yuto finally meet.
  15. Last time in the… ah, hell, you know the drill. Let’s get to the review.

Now we look at Star Trek into Darkness. Out of all the Star Trek movies that are out there, this movie is the only one that seemed to put twist the panties of a lot of Star Trek fans. This is mostly due to the fact that it’s a rip off of The Wrath of Khan. Some say it for casting reasons. But does that make it a bad movie. Let’s take a look at it and find out.

Our movie begins on a planet of Nibiru, where Kirk and McCoy are being chased by a primitive alien race. Meanwhile, Spock goes down to an active volcano and tries to stop it from destroying the alien race. However, the heat of the volcano damages Spock’s ride, leaving Kim and Uhura to abandon the shuttle. Kirk and McCoy escape the aliens and swim towards the Enterprise. Wait a minute. The Enterprise is under water? That’s cool.

Spock sets off the device the will stop the volcano, but it looks as though Spock might die in the process. Kirk suggests taking ship out of the ocean to save Spock, despite the fact it would violate the Prime Directive. Kirk decides to break the rules anyway and saves Spock’s life. The local aliens start worshipping the Enterprise. It’s Ancient Aliens all over again.

After getting our title sequence, we see a husband and wife visiting their sick daughter at the hospital. A man who says that he could save his daughter for a price approaches the husband.

Meanwhile, Spock reports what happened on the planet of Nibiru, which causes Kirk to lose command of the Enterprise. Admiral Pike gets command of the Enterprise and takes Kirk as his first officer. Spock gets transferred to another ship.

Meanwhile our mystery man comes up with a cure for the sick daughter, which works out well. But now, the husband has to complete his end of the bargain. This results in a building getting blown up.

The attack in London results with the Star Fleet admirals getting together, with Kirk and Spock joining in. The meeting is head by Admiral Alexander Marcus, played Peter Weller. If that name sounds familiar to you it’s because he played Robocop and was the voice of Batman in the direct-to-video movie, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. You know, I’m starting to wonder if J.J. Abrams is a Batman fan.

Admiral Marcus explains that a Starfleet officer named John Harrison was responsible for the attack at London. Kirk starts to notice that something is amiss and warns Marcus that Harrison is setting up a trap. Speaking of which, Harrison launches a surprise attack, which results in the death of Admiral Pike. Kirk takes a shot a Harrison’s ship, but that does work out too well. Kirk disables Harrison’s ship thought what might be consider some Looney Tune action. But Harrison beams out from the ship to the Klingon home world of Koronos.

After the attack, Kirk and Spock meet with Scotty, who has found Harrison’s transwrap beaming device. Kirk requests that he be reinstated as Captain of the Enterprise and go after Harrison. Marcus reveals that building area that Harrison was a top secret area meant to deal with any threat to the Federation. Marcus agrees to Kirk’s request on the orders to kill Harrison. He also agrees to Kirk’s request to reinstate Spock as his first officer.

Before going off on their mission, a weapon science officer named Carol Marcus, who we all know is Kirk’s lover and mother to their son, David. And, not surprising, Kirk starts flirting with her.

While on board the Enterprise, Scotty is having a problem with the new photon torpedoes because of some top-secret bullshit. This leads to Scotty being fired. This leads to Chekov getting promoted, much to his worry. We also learn that Spock and Uhura are having some relationship issues, much to Kirk’s amusement.

The Enterprise takes off for Koronos and Kirk decides to bring Harrison in to face judgment. Spock starts questioning Carol about why is onboard the Enterprise, but before she could explain herself, the Enterprise starts to malfunction. Kirk, Spock, Uhura, and 2 red shirts head down to Koronos by shuttle, while Chekov tries to figure out what caused the malfunction. During the shuttle ride, Oh, I should also mention that Sulu gets to sit in the captain’s chair.

Uhura and Spock work out their relationship issues, despite Kirk’s objections. I must say this scene is kind of emotional as issue relates to what happen on the Vulcan homeworld in Star Trek (2009). Their shuttle comes under attack by Klingons. Uhura tries to explain the situation to the Klingons, who look even more badass then before, negotiations go south when Harrison start shooting up Klingons. Kirk, Spock and the 2 red shirts join in. This results in the 2 red shirts getting killed off. Harrison defeats the Klingons by himself. Harrison surrenders to Kirk, but not before hitting Harrison a few times.

McCoy takes some of Harrison’s blood to analysis. Kirk and Harrison have a little chitchat and Harrison gives Kirk a reason to look at the torpedoes. Kirk has Scotty check out a set of coordinates given to by Harrison. Kirk has McCoy and Carol check out one of the torpedoes. Spock also reveals that Carol is Admiral Marcus’ daughter. Carol reveals that she joined the Enterprise to check out why her father was being so secretive about the torpedoes. Kirk also takes a pick at Carol undressing. Fan service anyone.

McCoy and Carol open up the torpedo, but not before almost killing themselves in the process. They find a man in cryostats inside the torpedo. Scotty arrives at the coordinates and discovers a space dock that houses a brand new starship, USS Vengeance.

Kirk and Spock confront Harrison about the tubes. Harrison reveals his true identity as Khan.

Khan reveals that after the destruction of Vulcan, Admiral Marcus awakened him to create advance weaponry for war using his crew as leverage. He also reveals that Marcus had sabotaged the Enterprise so that the Klingons could destroy it and end up causing a war.

Marcus arrives at Kirk’s location with his new black ship. Marcus tries to get Kirk to transport Khan onboard the Vengeance, warning that Khan is manipulating Kirk. Kirk has the Enterprise wrap despite Chekov’s warnings not to. Marcus follows the Enterprise and fires at the ship, something that has never been seen on Star Trek. Impressive.

The Vengeance disables the Enterprise. Carol tries to stop her father from destroying the Enterprise. The Admiral transports Carol on board, allowing him to attack the Enterprise again. Kirk tries to negotiate a deal for his crew safety. But, thankfully, Scotty ends up saving the day.

Kirk and Khan infiltrate the Vengeance, which gives us another cool action sequence as the two have to navigate through a lot of space junk. Meanwhile, Spock tries to get in contact with New Vulcan. He gets in contact with Spock Prime, played by late actor, Leonard Nimoy, who warns his younger counterpart that Khan is very dangerous.

Kirk, Khan, and Scotty fight their way to the bridge to the ship. Scotty stuns Khan and Kirk puts Admiral Marcus under arrest, much to Marcus’ protest. Khan gets the drop on Kirk and Scotty and kills Marcus by crushing his skull. Damn.

Khan negotiates a trade for Kirk, Scotty, and Carol for Khan’s crew. Spock agrees to Khan’s terms after Khan lays out what he will do the Enterprise. Khan transport Kirk, Scotty, and Carol to the Enterprise before firing at the Enterprise. The torpedoes that Khan transported blow up, knocking out the weapons on the Vengeance.

But before celebrating, the Enterprise loses power and is pulled down by Earth’s gravity. Kirk and Scotty reach the engine room and try to get power back up, but it doesn’t work out so well as the core is misaligned. So, Kirk decides to pull a Spock and fix the alignment himself. Kirk’s actions work and save the Enterprise from burning up.

But, sadly, Kirk’s actions lead him to dying from radiation. Kirk and Spock do a reverse reenactment of the ending of The Wrath of Khan. I must say this is a well-done scene, almost rivaling its original counterpart. Hell, Spock is crying. When has anyone seen that in a Star Trek movie? Oh I cannot forget this.

The Vengeance crashes in San Francisco and Khan escapes the wreckage in a badass manner. An angry Spock goes down to Earth to kick Khan’s ass. McCoy figures out that Khan’s blood has a regenerative capability to save Kirk’s life. Uhura hears this news and goes down to stop Spock from killing Khan. Spock chases after Khan and gets into a fistfight on top of hovercrafts. Uhura shows up and stuns Khan with several shots, because one was not enough apparently. Spock goes for the kill until Uhura talks him out of it.

A couple of weeks pass and Kirk finally walks up from being almost dead. Yes. You heard right. Star Trek pulled a maneuver from The Princess Bride.

After a few months, Khan is put back into cryostats and Carol joins Kirk’s crew as the Enterprise is repaired and is assigned to a five-year exploration mission. And yes, Scotty is back too and we get a nod to Sulu’s future as a Starfleet captain.

And that was Star Trek into Darkness. Truth be told, I think it’s a good movie. Sure, it’s a rip off of The Wrath of Khan. But this kind of thing was inevitable. There was going to be a point in time when Khan was going to appear. And I appreciate the fact the J.J. Abrams and his team didn’t give fans a long wait. I also appreciate the fact that this movie didn’t forget the events of the previous movie like many other Star Trek films have done.

As I mentioned earlier, there were some controversies about this movie, the best of which being the casting of Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan. This was mostly because Khan was suppose to be of Indian descent, not British. Even George Takei didn’t like the casting of Benedict Cumberbatch. As for me, I’m fine with Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan. He’s a good actor and adds new levels to Khan character that we didn’t see in The Wrath of Khan, while still keeping the planning and savagery that the original Khan had and displayed. Plus, co-screenwriter, Bob Orci did have a reason for this casting, which he stated on the Trekmovie.com:

"Basically, as we went through the casting process and we began honing in on the themes of the movie, it became uncomfortable for me to support demonizing anyone of color, particularly any one of Middle Eastern descent or anyone evoking that. One of the points of the movie is that we must be careful about the villain within US, not some other race".

Seem like a legit reason. The other controversy was the seen where Carol strips in front and behind Kirk. Many thought that it was unnecessary. For me, I can understand why that is there. I mean, Carol and Kirk are supposed to get together at some point and have a kid.

Also, many people were unhappy with ending of the movie, including Doug Walker and Rob Walker. I will admit that the ending was very predictable and could have been handled better, especially with Kirk dying. But for what we got, it would have been a hell worse. As there would have been a huge uproar from fans if Kirk were killed off.

Now that we’ve got those out of the way, lets talk about the casting. The returning cast is great, especially, Zachary Quinto, who showed more of Spock’s human side and showed how the destruction of Vulcan is still affecting him. The new cast in this movie is great too. Alice Eve does well as Carol Marcus. I like that fact that the romance between her and Kirk was pushed in this movie and have them play around in a brother and sister relationship.

Then there is Peter Weller as Admiral Marcus. He is does a good job of being a secondary villain for this movie. And he isn’t a one-note villain. He is a very sympathetic villain. You can understand the choices he has made given the incident with Nero in the last movie.

The effects of this movie are amazing, nicely blending CGI effects with live action special effects. The music in this movie is epic, nicely accompanying action sequences and moments the tug at your heartstrings.

Now, lets get to the elephant in the room: Leonard Nimoy. I’m sure many of us know that actor Leonard Nimoy pasted away over a week ago. This movie was Nimoy’s final film movie as an actor and playing the role of Spock. Nimoy’s appearance in this movie may be a cameo, but I doubt it would stop Nimoy from giving his all in the role that he helped create. I hope that when the Star Trek Sequel comes out in theaters, the filmmakers will give a dedication to Nimoy in the movie and have a scene acknowledging the death of Spock Prime. They would be idiots if they didn’t.

As for this movie, I enjoy it very much. Is it on the level of The Wrath of Khan? No, but it’s still good nonetheless and I can’t wait to see what happens in Star Trek 3. Thank you for enjoying my Star Trek Movie Reviews. I will be doing other movie reviews in the near future.